TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Gallery > Photography
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
Got my own camera but am a total n00b. Here's a thread to show it as I progress.

So I picked up a Nikon D40x from Taylor. Came with the basic 18-55mm lense. Took a trip up to NY and took some pics along the way.. Let me know what you guys think. Im in the process of reading through the basics, but all this photog stuff is overwhelming. Can't wait to dive in and learn some stuff!

Comments, negatives, suggestions for next time.. I shot on auto, images are straight off the camera and hosted on photobucket. I don't really have a set theme that I want to shoot overall.. I'll shoot anything really lol.... but I thought buildings and stuff like that was a good start. I guess I'd like to know how to make the last picture look better for starters. I know there's a lot going on there, but it seems like something is off (besides the fact that Im on auto with a basic lens LOL). I always heard "you have to use what you have and make the best of it". that's what im going for until I can get out there, learn, have hands-on, progress, and get more lenses down the road.

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now

Last edited by DPancoast; 12-31-2009 at 11:21 AM.
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
ASIAN JUL
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9030

My Ride:
'95 Integra LS hatch

Well, first off.. congrats on the new camera. There's a few towards the end that seem to be a bit blurry and dark. The one of the church is crooked, lol. Those giant Christmas light bulb things are sweet looking. I'm jealous you went to NYC, I haven't been since I saw a Broadway show in 10th grade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
]

Quote:
It was the sexual guardian angel saying sir your stroke is on point, go forth and conquer
ASIAN JUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
bmatyeah
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4478

My Ride:
1997 Ford Mustang

Send a message via AIM to bmatyeah
pick up a basic photography book. some are too bright some are to dark. most of your content takes up the entire frame or is dead center.

if your shooting on auto, then its like your shooting with some moms point and shoot.

you have the tools now, its not about the camera its how you use it. You are now unlimited mostly.

buy a book, learn the camera and all the dof and ranges it can use.
bmatyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

Send a message via AIM to grimm
the best advice i can give anyone starting out in photography is to take zillions of photos from all angles. try to think of an interesting perspective to take the shot from, maybe from an angle most people would not view the subject from. Also learn about the thirds rule, it will help you with your composition. don't take my comments the wrong way but these are all decent snapshots. they aren't what i would consider a photograph, if you get what i'm saying. There also isn't any noticeable DOF (depth of field) going on. When everything is in focus it's hard to separate the subject from the background, a great shot that could have used some DOF would have been the christmas lights. Focus on one bulb in the foreground and let the background get blurry as it moves off in the distance. This is achieved by lowering the Fstop. anyway keep at it. it was def far to cold to really learn your camera.

grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
Erik
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1962

My Ride:
2001 Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo

read the manual. you have a great camera to start off with and it can do a lot. Explore it, read the manual, and then read it again. What bmat said as well, read a photog book. Once thats done, you will be on your way

'96 Mazda Miata | FM V-Maxx Coilovers | Jackson Racing Exhaust/Intake GONE

01' Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo | Daily | NoMods
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:

Thanks for the comments so far guys... and yeah Grimm, I get what you're saying, now hurt feelings here man .

- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
Old 12-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
bmatyeah
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4478

My Ride:
1997 Ford Mustang

Send a message via AIM to bmatyeah
Im not sure of your knowledge of photography do you understand the concept of depth of field, rule of thirds, panning and shooting movements? If not i would get a photography book and read it. some stuff may be already known but ive gotten old photo books from my parents that present different ideas
bmatyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
ASIAN JUL
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9030

My Ride:
'95 Integra LS hatch

Dan, let's go out and shoot together one day. Bring my wifey with you, er, I mean.. your wifey..
|
]

Quote:
It was the sexual guardian angel saying sir your stroke is on point, go forth and conquer
Old 12-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatyeah View Post
Im not sure of your knowledge of photography do you understand the concept of depth of field, rule of thirds, panning and shooting movements? If not i would get a photography book and read it. some stuff may be already known but ive gotten old photo books from my parents that present different ideas
Yeah I understand what they are, but don't know how to use them fully. I'll be picking up some books regardless. If you can spare to let me borrow stuff you have, drop it off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASIAN JUL View Post
Dan, let's go out and shoot together one day. Bring my wifey with you, er, I mean.. your wifey..
lol ok, I'll get her to bring her camera too

- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
Old 12-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
all-DA-way215
Tri-State Addict

Member #13782

My Ride:
350 Big Ball Block

just from a quick stare the pictures came out good. more in depth .. yeah what ^^all of the above said LOL and when you get use to it, lets go take some photos around the way! haha good luck with the camera.
all-DA-way215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:30 AM   #11
jspek
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #539

My Ride:
cafe and a broke s2k

Send a message via AIM to jspek
Your **** sucks dan. Lol jk. Like grimmy said shoot A LOT. Learn to use that 18-55 to get around its weaknesses. If you wanna shoot with me ill let you use some of my glass. Bring that asian chick with a big head too lol.

jspek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:39 AM   #12
ASIAN JUL
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9030

My Ride:
'95 Integra LS hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspek View Post
Your **** sucks dan. Lol jk. Like grimmy said shoot A LOT. Learn to use that 18-55 to get around its weaknesses. If you wanna shoot with me ill let you use some of my glass. Bring that asian chick with a big head too lol.
|
]

Quote:
Old 12-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #13
djb5118
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5884

My Ride:
SC300

Send a message via AIM to djb5118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspek View Post
If you wanna shoot with me ill let you use some of my glass.
haha i remember when i first started and my friend did this for me and i wanted every lens i tried out. Then i looked up the prices...talk about a buzzkill
Old 12-31-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:

haha I dont even want to know what lenses cost. but thanks for the offer Chaz, I'll have to take you up on that since your pictures always make me drool (even though I know that your equipment is awesome to begin with lol).

- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
Old 12-31-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

Send a message via AIM to 97TurboDSM
don't forget to GET OUT OF AUTO mode. the end.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #16
msher
Noob-Jersey

Member #14840

i have a D40x too, great cam
msher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:03 AM   #17
trista
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15075

My Ride:
'89 EF

Send a message via AIM to trista
I love the first pic c:

Quote:
Amen. E-harmony has a monthly fee....can you believe that? If only those suckers knew about TST!
trista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:18 AM   #18
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:

lol yeah I hate auto. but it was freezing outside (lame excuse I know)

anyway... shot these in my basement this morning to kinda feel out the lens.

- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
Old 12-31-2009, 11:45 AM   #19
trista
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15075

My Ride:
'89 EF

Send a message via AIM to trista
pft I pwn in some foosball C:
nice shots though.

Quote:
Amen. E-harmony has a monthly fee....can you believe that? If only those suckers knew about TST!
trista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #20
boostedfury
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1389

My Ride:
99 Z51 Corvette & 2003 Explorer XLT

Send a message via AIM to boostedfury
nice pickup Dan..i really wish I would have gotten the Nikon on black friday..but I got a samsung tv instead haha.. I really like the pool table shots because in those you can already see the imporvement. Keep it up.. o and if you need a test subject I know someone with a red srt 4... jus saying

boostedfury is offline   Reply With Quote