TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #461
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Yeah man... It's been ages since Facebook groups full of idiots took the new traffic away from here. Too bad, forums are significantly better than Facebook for just about everything
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #462
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I did another autocross today, Philly Region's last event of the year. Here are my 4 runs. My fastest was my 3rd. I won my class! For a while I was leading PAX and raw times, haha. I managed an 18th of 140 in raw time, which is amazing for my stupid GTI against some of the fastest national competitors and karts. :D Car ran amazingly well too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mWqoxySvf8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twCEvH43ClI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QvBWgH9zWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFnVZUBbl9U
Old 10-11-2015, 11:22 PM   #463
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
Coming along nicely. Sad to see there's only a handful of member journals being updated. Even sadder is it's probably just the owners documenting stuff to be able to see later. That's all mine is anymore.

Good luck with the project!
Old 10-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #464
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Thanks dude!
Old 11-21-2015, 07:13 PM   #465
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I did a road rally today. We finished at Victory Brewing, yum

We finished a solid second place on our first rally!

Old 04-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #466
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Ordered a baffled oil pan, new oil pump and some other odds and ends... Also ordering new bearings. The rest of the stuff I need I already have, just gotta pull the crank and drop it off at a machine shop.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #467
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I received this today, new from Techtonics Tuning:

Now I'm just waiting for the new King XP race bearings and some motivation to pop the crankshaft out.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:32 PM   #468
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Love this build thread. All the trials and tribulations with the engine! Great work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #469
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

If I ever meet the people responsible for engineering the transmission on this car I'd like to drop one on their f*cking face. What a total PITA to work on.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #470
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
If I ever meet the people responsible for engineering the transmission on this car I'd like to drop one on their f*cking face. What a total PITA to work on.
They're probably dead...

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #471
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

R.i.p.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:15 PM   #472
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

May they rot in hell then. Seriously, what the hell. The output flange is behind the flywheel so you have to rotate the end of the transmission upwards while rolling the whole thing forwards. Too bad the transmission mount is right where the final drive housing ends up so you can't actually do that.

For the record, this isn't even easy outside of the car, it's a completely idiotic design for serviceability... yet I'm looking at buying another f'ing Mk2 GTI lol
Old 06-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #473
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Crankshaft is dropped off at the machine shop. Should have this buttoned up in the next few weeks, though I'll be in Indy next week for some autocross/track day/karting stuff with some friends.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:32 PM   #474
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Crankshaft is in and has good tolerances. 0.003" tolerance on the mains and 0.002" on the rods. Good stuff.

I fired it up tonight and it runs and has fantastic oil pressure. Nearly double the idle oil pressure of before and the pressure climbs very quickly to ~65psi at 3500 RPM and holds that until at least 6k RPM. I'll finish putting the car together tomorrow and go for a drive.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #475
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Played around with the GTI a bit recently. Replaced the alternator belt with a 10mm belt instead of 13mm and it sits down in the pulleys properly now. No more flipping inside out, woo. Went through a lot of work to find an appropriate belt length. Gates sells a belt advertised as 950mm in length but is more like 980... I ended up using a 38" 3/8" wide belt from Dayco. Ideally, a 37" or 37.5" belt would be what I'd run as the 38" uses most of the adjustment range. Whatever, it works for now.

I spent about an hour futzing with updating Tuner Studio & Mega Log Viewer and playing with the tune a bit. I've got much better AFRs now and the car pulls a lot better. Not sure why they were overly rich, I ended up essentially putting the tune most of the way back to where it was at low RPM where it was so rich. I also greatly smoothed out the AFR at WOT so it's +/- a few tenths from 12.6:1 AFR. I think going leaner will be better for power, but without a knock sensor yet I don't want to risk it.

Next comes going through the full table again and really dialing it in. There are a few spots leaner than I'd like and a few spots richer than I'd like. EGO correction takes care of it easily with the wideband, only ~5% correction, but it annoys me that it's not as good as I can make it. The tune was only intended to be good enough to drive and get on track, so it's smooth and made decent-ish power, but it's definitely not dialed in. I'm going to aim for AFRs of 15.1:1 during cruise as it currently gets pretty mediocre fuel economy around town (can't complain too much about 27-28mpg highway, but I was getting 35+ on the old setup at 15.1:1 AFR on highway, so...) and I'll aim for 14.7:1 AFR during "normal" acceleration like I am currently. Not sure I'll be able to achieve both of those targets as the wild cams and non-ITB setup kinda makes things a PITA to dial in, compared to nearly stock as I was before.

Maybe I'll get the motivation to dial the VE table in completely and then play with the wall wetting algorithms... but I plan to sell the car and move to an RX-8 for a track toy. Who knows if that will happen anytime soon though, the new daily driver is eating up more money than I expected (tracked it and obliterated the brakes and now buying a clear bra and all sorts of other fun stuff...)

I've been ripping around in the little thing and it's definitely quicker with the tweaked tune, and more linear power band, the "hit" as it comes on cam at 6k+ is much less aggressive because it's making more power below that. I'm pretty satisfied that the WOT tuning is pretty much as close as I can get it with only being able to do a few street pulls. Second gear tops out around 70mph, third is north of 100mph so I'm trying to dial it in using 2nd gear up a local hill to simulate the higher load of third gear.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #476
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

All that work and you're going to sell it?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-28-2016, 11:40 PM   #477
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I would like to free up some cash. I'd like to make a run at Pro Solo championship and then Solo Nationals in Lincoln, NE. Really uses a lot of budget to have good tires and make these road trips.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #478
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I pick up a set of brand new Hella lights for a ridiculously low price Much clearer than the Autopal lights I had before.

Still been working on the tune, it's now pretty pleasant to drive around and faster than ever and VERY smooth when being driven hard. Around town it's not perfect but that's part of the trade offs with HUGE cams and a plenum intake. Low loads at low RPMs are really sensitive and you have to feather the clutch more than stock, but not a huge deal. It drives pretty well considering how heavily modified it is while still looking pretty much stock even in the engine bay.

Anyone want to buy it? Cosmetically looks kinda "meh" and I found some rust in the rear valence (hidden under the big rear bumper)
Old 03-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #479
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post

I pick up a set of brand new Hella lights for a ridiculously low price Much clearer than the Autopal lights I had before.

Still been working on the tune, it's now pretty pleasant to drive around and faster than ever and VERY smooth when being driven hard. Around town it's not perfect but that's part of the trade offs with HUGE cams and a plenum intake. Low loads at low RPMs are really sensitive and you have to feather the clutch more than stock, but not a huge deal. It drives pretty well considering how heavily modified it is while still looking pretty much stock even in the engine bay.

Anyone want to buy it? Cosmetically looks kinda "meh" and I found some rust in the rear valence (hidden under the big rear bumper)
I’m interested. How much and tons of pics and list of all work done please

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #480
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

lol, unsure if serious

semi-related, I redid the starting system this year. It refused to even crank over when below 20 degrees. Cranks over down below 0 degrees now New TDI starter motor ($$$!!!) and new big f'ing Bosch battery and new wiring to stop the ignition switch from taking the load of directly triggering the starter, it just drives a relay now.