TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-27-2019, 10:31 PM   #681
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I love these frankenstein engine projects Take lots of pics please!
Me too! This is really a dream come true. I just happened to fall into the cylinder head and engine in such a way where I can still make money while building Linda the way I wanted to all along.

I had an eventful evening tonight. Got both motors pulled. The next day I have off I'm going to swap all of the early model stuff onto Linda's motor, swap transmissions, and drop it in Black Betty.

Got me a nice lil' Stromung for Linda as well. I bought the Magnaflow 23554 downpipe/cat section so when I buy my IE Long Tubes all I have to do is weld vbands onto the collectors, weld up a Y to the cat section and join it up (as well as adding two 02 bungs, one for the 02 and one for a wideband).

It's so great taking apart a car you just assembled. The black car, not so much. Whoever built it used "new" soft ****ty shiny nuts on everything and multiple things stripped, broke, etc. Linda came apart like butter because I used all OEM grade hardware.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #682
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Picked up my ECU setup for the build. MS2PNP from DIY. Not pictured: an injector harness wired for semi-sequential batch firing. I know very little about Megasquirt and have been reading as much as I can- I have a feeling I'll have a few questions if there are any MS gurus willing to lend an ear.

I'm going to copy Digitalwave's intake setup with his KAM intake to a pipe with an IAT. I would like to run a simple wasted spark setup, but am still figuring that out at the moment. I also have no idea how to set this up for a variable TPS (M50). I'm thinking it'll be much better than an E30 TPS when running speed density.

My pistons are almost ready to order- I need to CC the 731 head to get our final measurements for compression, and then those will be on the way. Once I list/sell the Ronals in the garage I can place my IE order for the Billet 284/280, HD Rockers, Long Tubes, and a few other small things.

I'm getting very excited!

Old 08-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #683
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Definitely worth doing a proper TPS
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:10 PM   #684
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Definitely worth doing a proper TPS
OH yeah. The E30 TPS is a switch and the M50 TPS is a potentiometer. With no AFM signal I don't think a switch with just an idle or WOT function will cut it since I'm tuning on manifold pressure and intake air temp.

Megasquirt support is so vast and in depth that it makes it difficult to find your answer .
Old 08-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #685
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I tried without a proper TPS. Don't waste your time It works, but it's a PITA. Maybe on a big lazy V8 with an automatic trans it would be OK... but meh. Not worth the hassle of trying to make it drive smoothly and idle smoothly and such.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #686
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

My experience with megasquirt has been quite good actually. The key for me was getting my VE maps good. Essentially, get your car to start okay (you wont get it perfect until your VE map is good so dont waste to much time on startup/idle). Setup your target AFRs and base timing. Go out and let the squirt autotune. Keep autotuning until its not making big changes.

TPS signal is not all that important for speed density tuning if I recall. Other than knowing when to switch from closed to open loop, I don't think it matters much. If your going to tune in alpha or ITB mode then it is all that matters.

I would not call myself an expert so take my advice as such.

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #687
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
I tried without a proper TPS. Don't waste your time It works, but it's a PITA. Maybe on a big lazy V8 with an automatic trans it would be OK... but meh. Not worth the hassle of trying to make it drive smoothly and idle smoothly and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
My experience with megasquirt has been quite good actually. The key for me was getting my VE maps good. Essentially, get your car to start okay (you wont get it perfect until your VE map is good so dont waste to much time on startup/idle). Setup your target AFRs and base timing. Go out and let the squirt autotune. Keep autotuning until its not making big changes.

TPS signal is not all that important for speed density tuning if I recall. Other than knowing when to switch from closed to open loop, I don't think it matters much. If your going to tune in alpha or ITB mode then it is all that matters.

I would not call myself an expert so take my advice as such.
Oh yeah I'm definitely doing the M50 TPS and ditching the stock one. And yeah, I'm running speed density until I get my ITBs setup, at which point I'll be just alpha n, so I figured getting the settings in MS early on with the right TPS will be worthwhile. Plus it totally changes your ability to tune accel enrichment tables if you don't have an on/off throttle position switch haha.

And yeah I've heard of several people running into issues with not setting the VE tables properly. There is a very smart fellow who has built a few very powerful n/a E30s on another forum who helped me spec my cam. When it's all up and running I'm going to have him help me set that up. I also have a thread where several guys with very similar setups share all of their mapping, so I'll have a good place to start!

I bought another parts car today. It's a 130K mile 1990 325iS. It was a beautiful car before it was wrecked. I also picked up wheels for the M3! I've been looking since I got the car and finally found a mint set of E38 style 5s (same wheels I filled/drilled for Linda). Thankfully these just bolt right up to the M3, no funny business. Will be running a 225/45, likely another RT615K+ because they're affordable and have treated me very well so far on the iS.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #688
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

ITB mode is definitely worth using for actual ITBs
Old 08-17-2019, 11:44 PM   #689
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
ITB mode is definitely worth using for actual ITBs
Yep, I'm going to get the car running/engine broken in on speed density with a stock intake and ported throttle body and then switch to ITBs and alpha-n.

These will be the ones. With the plenum they pick up pretty great power in all the right places.

http://racehead.com.au/products-page...e30-cf-plenum/
Old 08-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #690
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Whoops forgot about throttle accel enrichment. Its been awhile since I did any tuning. Definitely useful for that. You'll want to have good maps to tune accel enrich as well.

I'm excited to see you work through the ITB set-up. Be sure to post up what you learn so I don't make the same mistakes. That set-up looks pretty awesome.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #691
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I've heard that using MultiMAP is a good first step for using ITBs, but better quality/tolerance diodes than specified apparently improves it even more. At a minimum, this would help the blended ITB mode in MS a lot.

https://github.com/jharvey/MultiMAP
Old 08-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #692
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Whoops forgot about throttle accel enrichment. Its been awhile since I did any tuning. Definitely useful for that. You'll want to have good maps to tune accel enrich as well.

I'm excited to see you work through the ITB set-up. Be sure to post up what you learn so I don't make the same mistakes. That set-up looks pretty awesome.
I am excited, too! Just getting this engine built and in the car will be huge, as I'm also getting the exhaust done, plumbing AC and cruise control, more cooling powah and a bunch of other crap I opted to not do when I did my economy engine swap the first time around.

Quote:
I've heard that using MultiMAP is a good first step for using ITBs, but better quality/tolerance diodes than specified apparently improves it even more. At a minimum, this would help the blended ITB mode in MS a lot.

https://github.com/jharvey/MultiMAP
That's a great insight, thank you! I was just reading about the blended modes, and how everyone prefers it over just the TPS/Alpha-N. I saved the link.

Also....

I ordered my pistons! For anyone referencing this in the future (cough, empera), this is the setup needed for 10.5 CR on an M20 with S52 crank/rods with a 731 head with OS valves ordering through RaceTep:

JE 4032 Material Basic Set of 6 86mm x 89.6 x 135mm x 37cc, M20 Valves, 7-8 dish for 10.5 CR assuming a .070/1.8mm HG, 206mm deck height.

If you noticed....I bit the bullet and decided to go 86mm bore, as I'm not endurance racing this thing, and the price was exactly the same between 85mm and 86mm. The only functional difference is more powah and that I'll have to run a cometic HG.

This is the 3L I am swapping pistons in with the top end off showing the work. I'm going to sell these pistons for a deal for anyone looking to do a budget 3L m20. They have a special detonation resistant coating up top.

And this was the thick boi HG keeping the valves away from the pistons. Talk about whack compression height.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:27 PM   #693
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

I'm having a blast getting Black Betty all fixed up. I cleaned the bay, swapped the 24v swap booster out for a 130K mile stock booster off of my parts car, and got Linda's engine all ready to go into Black Betty. The trans in Black Betty was just put in along with a clutch and whatnot. I put a new shift selector seal in for good measure, and then bolted it up to the motor. I swapped the intake manifold from the Betty's original engine to her new powerplant. It's got a ported TB with M30 plate and I opted to keep the TB heater for that car. I also swapped out the water pump on Linda's engine for the early model one so I can retain a proper early model setup for the car it's going into.

I'm going to throw the engine in tomorrow and get it all buttoned up and start on the cosmetics and small stuff.

Last edited by blue91lx; 08-23-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:31 PM   #694
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Got the engine and trans into Black Betty. I switched over from engine to suspension work to give myself a break and installed the H&R Sports.

I need to decide on wheels. I have so many sets of 14" basketweaves, but they all need to be refinished. I am selling the Ronals to recoup cash, and the car also came with really nice bottlecaps with new Azenis RT615K+ tires that I'm considering running, but bottlecaps just don't do it for me.

I have a bunch more work to do to this thing like cut/polish/seal the paint, paint some trim, replace the drivers seat bottom cushion, fix the passenger side headlight, fix the OBC, swap in a 3.91LSD I have for it, finish up the engine swap, and a few other small things. It's coming together, though!

​​​​​​​Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
Old 08-30-2019, 10:46 AM   #695
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

I love watching your progress, and dedication!
Old 09-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #696
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
I love watching your progress, and dedication!
Thanks, Jim (assuming that's your actual first name)!

I am hoping that this build will be the final stage for the car to where I can really enjoy it, so I am giving it my all.

I ordered my custom cometic HG today for the 1.8 mil thickness with 86mm bore to match the custom pistons, along with my HD rocker arms and cam. I went with a 284/280 based on a billet blank. Specs should be perfect for the engine I'm building with 11.5/11.0 lift and 109 lobe centers.

It'll be a bit angry with the stock intake but the whole setup with schmooof out when I switch to ITBs.

I have been working away at the black sedan- I have the shifter linkage done, driveshaft on, power steering setup back together, etc. Still need to finish exhaust, suspension, and put the engine harness back on and she'll be scootin. Then it's a bunch of small ****, a million hours of paint correction and hopefully a quick sale!

My family is itching for me to get the M3 out of their way (little brother started a BMW parts business and needs the space, runs in the family haha), so as soon as Black Betty is gone, Mr M3 is on a truck headed out this way (like I haven't said that before, this time it's for real, I promise).
Old 09-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #697
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
Thanks, Jim (assuming that's your actual first name)!
You're quite welcome. You and the other guys on here that keep their journals updated make still coming back here and cleaning up what i need to all worth while.

(Jim's the name)
Old 09-06-2019, 08:44 AM   #698
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
You're quite welcome. You and the other guys on here that keep their journals updated make still coming back here and cleaning up what i need to all worth while.

(Jim's the name)
I will keep coming back here as long as we keep our 6 active members

TST is the only forum I am on that hasn't switched to the new vBulletin, which is a nice bonus.

Really, though, it is quite interesting to see what has happened to the whole.... lets call it "forum culture". Once younger kids (gen z maybe?) started entering the car scene, a high amount of traffic jumped to social platforms (FB Groups, Instagram build pages, etc). I hate to sound like an old man, but the social platforms offer a surface level, more instant gratification style "forum culture", with much less depth regarding information received, relationships, member journal quality, etc. Not the perfect explanation, but there's something there.

A lot has changed in that regard, now that the idea behind building a car is often for some type of attention rather than for personal satisfaction, a specific function, etc.

It's not just this forum. The above observations appear to be congruent across every forum that I am on.

Everything I learned about E30s is/was from a forum . Do you guys remember SoStock92? I PM'd him in 2012 asking for an E30 run-down when I was first intrigued by them, and here we are today.

Anyway, rant over.

I buttoned up the suspension and got the car on the ground. Much better. The early models always throw me off due to their high rear arches. I decided I'm going to restore a set of the 14" weaves for this car.

I also got the engine harness back on, and am finishing up re-plumbing most of the systems. I estimate I'll start it up today. Need to steal the diff and exhaust from the parts car, install the rest of the cooling system, and she'll be ready to start.

I'm also getting extremely sick of working out of three separate boxes, as cool and old as they are. I'm going to pick this thing up today, me thinks. It's a much better value than the US General 56" which was the other box I was looking at. https://www.menards.com/main/tools/t...547264&ipos=10

Old 09-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #699
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
I will keep coming back here as long as we keep our 6 active members

TST is the only forum I am on that hasn't switched to the new vBulletin, which is a nice bonus.

Really, though, it is quite interesting to see what has happened to the whole.... lets call it "forum culture". Once younger kids (gen z maybe?) started entering the car scene, a high amount of traffic jumped to social platforms (FB Groups, Instagram build pages, etc). I hate to sound like an old man, but the social platforms offer a surface level, more instant gratification style "forum culture", with much less depth regarding information received, relationships, member journal quality, etc. Not the perfect explanation, but there's something there.

A lot has changed in that regard, now that the idea behind building a car is often for some type of attention rather than for personal satisfaction, a specific function, etc.

It's not just this forum. The above observations appear to be congruent across every forum that I am on.

Everything I learned about E30s is/was from a forum . Do you guys remember SoStock92? I PM'd him in 2012 asking for an E30 run-down when I was first intrigued by them, and here we are today.

Anyway, rant over.
I hope we do keep our 6 active members around, haha. Its a shame, but I don't see it growing from that.

More so than the vBulletin software, I'm happy to say that this site hasn't been gobbled up by one of the companies out there buying up and ruining forums (mainly Autoguide and Internet Brands)

Forum culture has come and gone, and thats a shame. We came here to make friends, learn about cars, share stories, create meets, show off your hard work and get feedback.

Around 8 or so years ago, I noticed the switch to a more social media based platform. People didnt want to learn and share, they just wanted to "show off." Seeing people calling their "build" with raceland coilovers and sportmax wheels a show car. Followers were more important than actual personal relationships. No one came looking for help, because they knew everything there was to know about everything. Opinions and feedback weren't wanted, because if you didn't like what someone did, you were a hater.

I think the most recent and most devastating blows to the forum culture was when photobucket got greedy and decided to stop hotlinking. That broke almost EVERY DIY post, step-by-step guide, and how-to out there in forum land.

Of course I remember Jon. He was a HUGE contributor to the forum. Tons of content, and very well written. You don't really have people like that on forums anymore.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #700
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Also, about the tool chests.....

I've looked at a similar Craftsman chest, and went with the HF brand over it. The drawers on the craftsman were really really flimsy. There's no actual weight rating on the drawers themselves, or sheet metal gauge thickness. Only weight info is "100lb drawer slides" and "1500lb casters" Even in the use and care manual.

I have a version of the HF 40" tool chest. Its an OEM that a bunch of companies slap their name on. HF is one, Atlas is another, and I know Northern Tool sells the same thing under their brand. I bought mine from Gregg Smith Equipment Sales many years back. After I set up the box, just to test it, I stood in the bottom drawer. It did not bend, creak, cry, anything. At the time I was about 350lbs. Now looking them up, i see they've raised in price A LOT. I got my top and bottom for around $550, now its listed at $911, freight shipping included. Luckily there was a store in Delaware I was able to pick it up from and save some loot.

Check for used boxes in FB marketplace, or craigslist (is that still a thing?)