TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Subaru Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #41
peteyturbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1450

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwrxkid View Post
It doesn't matter how much you spend on a block Keith. I hate when you do that **** man, you just like the attention re-routed to you. No one was looking for comments or a pat on the back. You say it in a sarcastic manner every single time, don't even try to act like you're joking. Last time I checked we were friends, no reason to go against me with everything I say...

Number 1, if the car isn't getting oil up top then I will most likely spin a bearing and there goes the motor. Number two, my sleeve could drop at any given time. Anything can happen and just like everyone else with a 2.5L, I need to be carefull.

WTF does that mean?

it's a small block chevy in a lumina body and mello yello decals.
^jesus christ?

And why is a blown subaru motor surprising anyone here?? Collectively on this forum there must be at least 25 cases of this, and some contribute more then other (sorry huff)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

peteyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #42
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

Send a message via AIM to teh DIRT
subaru engines are junk.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #43
Kevin
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2345

My Ride:
EVO

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyturbo View Post
And why is a blown subaru motor surprising anyone here?? Collectively on this forum there must be at least 25 cases of this, and some contribute more then other (sorry huff)
Because it's only supposed to be a 95-99 4G63 problem duhhh

Quote:
Thanks dude, you should know better than to think id ditch my dsm's for a vw... lol.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #44
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Send a message via AIM to D Money
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Sorry I forgot to put in the sarcasim Dimitri, I was kidding again. Haha I dont know why you think I'm being mean all the time.
seriously, you can't sit there and say you were trying to be an asshole there.

Quote:
D has beat me up in public before. be careful this guy is reckless!
D Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #45
fballman1987
Tri-State Addict

Member #2928

My Ride:
2007 WRX STi

Send a message via AIM to fballman1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh DIRT View Post
subaru engines are junk.
hoping this is sarcasm...
fballman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #46
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor

Member #3958

My Ride:
the one in the back of the shop

Quote:
subaru engines are junk.
I wouldnt say they are Junk...(I mean they aint no Honda or toyota motor).... but they do have alot of things against them that doesnt help. I have built dozens of 2.5s and once you get those pistons out they usually hold up pretty well

^^^ actually i will edit my post and no be so PC...i think they are Junk Too!!!!

Vince@R/TTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #47
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:
88 Merkur XR4Ti | 92 Mazda MX3 | 98 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer | 91 Ford Ranger89 | 89 Yamaha FZR600

Send a message via ICQ to R22B Send a message via AIM to R22B
The Subaru boxer engine rumble is actually your engine eating itself :D
Old 03-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #48
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

Send a message via AIM to teh DIRT
lol. Look at it like this, the way i see it.

Early 90's to like 97....you can find subaru's still rolling around with 300k+ on them. A lot of those engines from that era are still running, know why? There were in grandma's legacy wagon that she drove everyday lightly like a grandmom would.

What changed in the late 90's till now? Subaru's engines are in "RS's" and "WRXs" and are driven by young adults who beat on them. It's like how everyone rags on DSM's for breaking. They've been beaten since day 1, they are going to need work eventually.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #49
fballman1987
Tri-State Addict

Member #2928

My Ride:
2007 WRX STi

Send a message via AIM to fballman1987
Quote:

Early 90's to like 97....you can find subaru's still rolling around with 300k+ on them. A lot of those engines from that era are still running, know why? There were in grandma's legacy wagon that she drove everyday lightly like a grandmom would.

What changed in the late 90's till now? Subaru's engines are in "RS's" and "WRXs" and are driven by young adults who beat on them. It's like how everyone rags on DSM's for breaking. They've been beaten since day 1, they are going to need work eventually.
true. you could take anything and if you beat on it and not maintain it properly, something will happen. add a turbo and some kids who can afford it or parents who can afford it and you have a car that is going to take a beating. i commend subaru though, becuase there are many, upon many stis and wrx's well over 100k and some over 150k that still run like brand new, the quality didnt really change too much, the market of people buying them did.
fballman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #50
malloyboy1
Tri-State Addict

Member #5438

My Ride:
05 subaru wrx

never heard of this problem till the other day and someone mentioned it at work then i see it here too.
malloyboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:46 PM   #51
RyanG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #63

Send a message via AIM to RyanG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOS View Post
lolololol

and what are your thoughts on the flat 6's from subaru ryan?
those things are tanks. plain an simple. They are basically an EJ22 with 2 extra cyls slapped on. But they to have a weak point being pistons. Swapping that motor in anything is a monster in the making. Rev it out to 7,500 yummy

Quote:
Petes' right. There are a lot of cases of 2.5's going. I just decided to show what happened in one that came in and to stir the anti 2.5 fire a little :P

Quote:

I kinda disagree my 92 Leggo had an EJ22 in it that for the better part of 100k had the ever living **** kicked out of it. I only yanked it in favor of an N/A 2.5 that I built from parts and that little 'ole 2.2 lasted 298k. And I was still a sound engine when I pulled it.

I seriously feel its torque that kills them ... Subaru's do NOT like torque. be it engine internals, or transmissions. <-- just a theory

RyanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #52
Kevin
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2345

My Ride:
EVO

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Quote:
It's like how everyone rags on DSM's for breaking. They've been beaten since day 1, they are going to need work eventually.
QFT. 95-99 4G63's are junk too though, well some.

Quote:
Thanks dude, you should know better than to think id ditch my dsm's for a vw... lol.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #53
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Send a message via AIM to Buster
Quote:
seriously, you can't sit there and say you were trying to be an asshole there.
You're right lol, I cant.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #54
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

Quote:
WTF does that mean?

it's a small block chevy in a lumina body and mello yello decals.
I mean your probably spending good money on a built block when you do your setup - its not gonna grenade like a stock 2.5...

Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #55
Signatus230
Tri-State Addict

Member #2239

My Ride:
'02 OBP WRX

Send a message via AIM to Signatus230
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA1320 View Post
I seriously feel its torque that kills them ... Subaru's do NOT like torque. be it engine internals, or transmissions. <-- just a theory
Transmissions? And what do you know about trannys?

Thats interesting it went, but I'm not surprised to be honest...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovXietday
Being as you don't read the lyrics on the radio, I'm sure she'd still be fine.
Signatus230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #56
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Send a message via AIM to D Money
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
You're right lol, I cant.
Damn you win! lol hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_ View Post
I mean your probably spending good money on a built block when you do your setup - its not gonna grenade like a stock 2.5...
haha I'm not worried about these issues, more along the lines of getting oil up top so I don't spin a bearing, not to mention my bearing clearances in general. Anything can happen and I don't want to ruin this motor. I can't afford another.

Quote:
D has beat me up in public before. be careful this guy is reckless!
D Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:50 PM   #57
peteyturbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1450

Quote:
Damn you win! lol hahaha

haha I'm not worried about these issues, more along the lines of getting oil up top so I don't spin a bearing, not to mention my bearing clearances in general. Anything can happen and I don't want to ruin this motor. I can't afford another.
You probably have a buckup motor sitting right next to the new one in the trailer your car rides in! Don't BS us!

Old 03-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #58
peteyturbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1450

BTW my original 4g63 short block is still in service on a friends car, been making about 400hp for the last 8 or 9 years, all original, about 300,00 on its ticker now

Old 03-20-2009, 12:29 AM   #59
Shoolig
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5623

My Ride:
C6

Quote:
BTW my original 4g63 short block is still in service on a friends car, been making about 400hp for the last 8 or 9 years, all original, about 300,00 on its ticker now
I know this isn't a compare the Subby vs. Mitsu but yeah, my Galant had 160,000 on the stock bottom end running 25-27PSI and ran just peachy when I sold it.

Anyhow, I know those 2.0 engines are little ****in' truckers. Theres a local WRX on his 3rd transmission running a green and it's been through an accident and more than one horrible tune and has survived just fine, 140,xxx on it last time I saw the car in October.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:00 AM   #60
CKxx
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #11648

2.12l ftw?
CKxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 AM
peteyturbo
This message has been deleted by peteyturbo.