TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

RockNRace's Turbo Kart: Start up video page 3! GX200. Raceseng,Ecotrons EFI!

You may be asking yourself, "why would anyone waste tons of money turboing a go kart?" my response "why the heck not?!

My main reasons for such tom-foolery is as followed:

1. I raced quarter midgets when i was younger. these little honda engines take a beating!

2. They make this mini turbo. it was too cute to not buy, so here i am wasting money

3. Parts are cheap. I can triple the horsepower of this engine for a few hundred dollars, and when the rod comes through the case, i can buy a new "crate engine" for 300$

4. Its a great learning tool. I can play with building a custom turbo kit, blow through carb, chassis, suspension... fuel injection if i dare? Im just looking for something to occupy my spare time.

5. Its gonna be damn cool!

enough banter. Im starting with a genuine Honda GX200 6.5 hp engine. and a surprisingly well made ebay IHI RHB31 turbo. Following will be some Raceseng kart engine parts, custom piping/flanges. a separate oil sump for the turbo and an entire custom chassis if possible.

pictures so far.
cute little turbo!

this thing is tiny!

brand new engine off a pressure washer. super cheap!(and in rare black side cover )

tear down begins

parts pile

next step is to go down to Raceseng and pick up my internals, also need to remember to pull the governor gear while im in there.

Last edited by rocknrace03; 01-01-2014 at 11:15 PM.
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
dangerousatom
[TST] Calendar Master

Member #625

My Ride:
02-04 RS-STi @391whp 02-WRX Wagon @310whp ≈≈≈ Both modded to the hilt w/PPG trans

Send a message via AIM to dangerousatom
Nice!

Id look into fabbing a cone reduction exhaust system to the turbo, but its only worth it if the motors exhaust outlet is larger then the turbo exhaust inlet. Start keeping your eye out for cheap Xylene or Toluene. Mixed 5 or 6 to 1 with gas, its better then race gas in small cylinder and 2 stroke engines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

02 WRX Wagon Beater-10/01/11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dangerousatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
95naSTA
Tri-State Addict

Member #6568

My Ride:
95 Bonnie, 98 i30, 07 Ducati Monster S2R 800

Hell yea! I'm with you. Why not?
95naSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Screw the engine, I wanna see the cart!

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovXietday View Post
Screw the engine, I wanna see the cart!
calm down, im getting there!
Old 10-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
SikneSS
Tri-State Addict

Member #6688

My Ride:
08 Chevy HHR SS

i've been wanting to do this, so i shall be watching. good luck with the build, i'm looking forward to seeing the results.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
06_6.6
Noob-Jersey

Member #26282

My Ride:
Isuzu duramax

Signed up just to see this build

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes
06_6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_6.6 View Post
Signed up just to see this build

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes
welcome!

had a chance to play on inventor last night. im still learning to use this program (on my own) since i don't start my drafting class until next semester. after a ton of wtf moments i have 2 of the 6 needed.
engine flange

turbo inlet flange

the oil drain, hotside inlet and compressor inlet should be fairly simple. but the hotside exit is a little above my skill level, but i should be able to figure it out.
if i can draw them all i should be able to have them water-jet for me on friday!
Old 10-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
vqturbo
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #26277

My Ride:
Nissan 350Z

How do you like inventor, I have solid works now. Wondering if its easier to learn.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqturbo View Post
How do you like inventor, I have solid works now. Wondering if its easier to learn.
It seems like solid works is more common. I'm only using inventor because they have a free download to students. I'll eventually have to learn to use solid works for school, but from what i've heard they're relatively the same. They say that if you can use one, you can use the other. i think its just a matter of where tools/commands are located.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

moar inventor.... cheated on the down pipe flange... not good enough to match the crazy contours. matched the bolt holes and the general opening with a little over sizing to compensate. took them to work, but the water jet was tied up all day.

waiting to hear back from my friend about engine internals, waiting for that before i brake open the case on the engine.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
for modeling pictures. In for this thread. Should be interesting.

Inventor is the easiest to learn of the big programs, IMO. SolidWorks is pretty easy, too, though.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

This is gonna be fun times.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
for modeling pictures. In for this thread. Should be interesting.

Inventor is the easiest to learn of the big programs, IMO. SolidWorks is pretty easy, too, though.
yeah, it hasnt been too difficult to figure out how to get by, i have no idea how to do anything crazy, but i can draw parts and extrude/mold them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
This is gonna be fun times.
oh yes it is!

UPDATE.

so today my english class was canceled so we could use the time to read a book for our next paper. i finished reading it early this morning and was able to complete the assignment with plenty of spare time before my night class.

i decided to use this time to remove the stock flywheel, and open the left side of the case to remove the governor.
wish all engines were this simple

the lever for the governor is actuated by the stock throttle linkage around 3500 rpms which is no fun, so by removing the pin and punching out the shaft that retains the gear you are free to rev as high as you'd like (or well until the valves float)

i also decided to remove the "low oil level" sensor so the engine doesn't shut off under cornering g-force. below is the sensor and all the little pieces of the governor assembly (almost missed one of those washers, that would have been bad!)

due to the removal of these parts, you are left with 3 holes in the crank case.

usually people just thread in a self tapping screw or jb weld them shut, but i decided to to weld them for two reasons: 1. because i own a tig welder and i like to use it, and 2. because this motor is gonna take some extra abuse and i don't want to chance loosing all my oil!

was surprised how easily it welded, honda must really use a good casting process.
now i'm just waiting on my box of goodies to show up with all the needed engine parts, i should have these late thursday and will begin the teardown/build of the actual engine. i also plan on grinding the welds smooth, i just want to wait until the engine is sealed back up to avoid getting metal shavings in places where they don't belong.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 PM   #15
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

GOT MY ENGINE PARTS TODAY!

First of all, I have to say thanks to Jarrett and Glen from Raceseng. They were very helpful in helping me choose the parts I needed to make sure this engine stays together and makes the power it needs to spool the turbo and stay together under the extra load. We decided to go with their .310 lift cam, 55 pound double valve springs kit, stainless steel stock size valves, Rev Rocker S1 rocker arms and push rod kit,head stud kit, Billet aluminum flywheel, Adjustable timing kit, newer style OEM honda flat top piston and all the engine tools they manufacture to help put it all together. All of these parts are super high quality, tough as nails, and made right here in the Lehigh Valley. To finish this off i went with the ARC billet aluminum stock length connecting rod. When I got home I immediately tore into the little Honda. I haven't had a chance to put an engine together since my automotive classes in college, so this was a nice relaxing end to the week.

ripped the head off. piece of mind know that the engine is indeed brand new

stock head and valve train
http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/ro...g.html?filters[user]=111737054&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=13

Stock cam out, note the decompression springs that are often the cause of failed engines when going beyond the stock limits.

then took apart the valve train, Raceseng left, Stock right

comparing cams, solid piece!

Installing 55lbs springs, so glad I bought the tool to compress the springs, it worked very well and saved me a headache.

new rev rockers sitting pretty

once the head was finished, decided to pull the piston out

stock one is dished, the flat top should up compression a bit.

annnd all done for the night. My connecting rod should arrive tomorrow and hopefully i'll be able to set valve lash and put the covers back together and get working on the turbo kit.

all said and done this engine should do about ~20 horsepower and rev to the moon. I have the option to mill the head down a bit to get even more compression if i need to, but i'm gonna leave it alone for now and see what kind of power i can make first.

Last edited by rocknrace03; 10-31-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

This is awesome man. That turbo make me wanna turbo my lawn mower

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #17
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
This is awesome man. That turbo make me wanna turbo my lawn mower
TURBO ALL THINGS!

My connecting rod came in today, quality piece! did the wrist pin and got the piston squared away.

went to go reassemble the engine, only to realize my torque wrench does no go down low enough, and even if it did, it wouldn't be very accurate, so I'm going to have to see about borrowing or buying one. Id also like to get some plasti gauge since the rod instructions recommend it.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #18
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

picked up a kart today!

i wanted to build my own, and i will, but for the price of all the components i'd need to buy are 3 times what i paid for the whole thing with a running engine, body, clutch ect.

i have been working on the engine, but i ran into some issues. I had the cam timed wrong (by my own ignorance) and managed to bend my push rods. i also struggled to get the piston in and and would like to re ring it to ensure none are bent and the end gap is correct. I can't thank the guys over at Raceseng. I stopped by yesterday to pick up a ring compressor tool, new push rods, and a set of rings. Jarrett and Glen were very helpful and explained to me all the little secrets and tips they have from years of karting, glad to buy from a company like that!
My schedule 10 tube came in, its like 1.03 ID. really surprised by the quality, still waiting on flanges from work though. slowly but surely its all coming together!

Old 11-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
denmah
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2846

Send a message via AIM to denmah
nice, i will be interested to see how this comes out haha, draw thru carb?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #20
satch_js
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #22767

My Ride:
02 wrx

this is really nice, keep the good work.
satch_js is offline   Reply With Quote