TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Ask The Law
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 05-25-2009, 03:17 AM   #1
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:
Does not hit mivec anymore.(DD) 06 solstice 5 speed. 84 IMSA Fiero5 speed. 87 Fiero GT 5 speed

Engine swap question.

Its comming up on that time where im going to be ripping the little what
gm calles a high output 2.8 V6 out of my fiero to swap it with a 3800 supercharged motor, and I have a few questions about doing this 1st and formost is it legal. The engine pretty much stock but not in the car it is made for i will be following all my county emmission laws and will include a cat on the exaust system. i wont be putting any preformance parts or aftermarket parts on it due to the fact this is all the power the car is ever going to need. also the car will be titled as an every day use car even though its only going to leave the gargae for shows and dates 2nd question is when it comes to inspection the engine is an OBD2 motor and will be running off an OBD2 computer how would emmissions be handeled on this car. my friend who has already preformed this swap says that they handel it like they would a stock fiero and by what engine the vin says is in it. this would mean that the would not even hook up to the OBD computer and just run the car on a dyno with the rod up the tailpipe. is this how inspection would be handeled?
i_ride_fieroGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Bane
[TST] Police Officer

Member #8526

My Ride:
Will P.I.T. you

As long as the motor is not stolen there isnt a problem putting a different engine in your car. If the chassis is 95 of newer than yes they will run emissions the normal dyno/probe way regardless of what the engine is.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:
Does not hit mivec anymore.(DD) 06 solstice 5 speed. 84 IMSA Fiero5 speed. 87 Fiero GT 5 speed

Thanks for the info dude.
i_ride_fieroGT is offline   Reply With Quote