TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > European > Audi / Volkswagen Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
quickline2
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10576

My Ride:
03 Evo 8 TB

any ideas?

i recently bought a 93 golf drove it home and parked it till today. now i went out it started up just fine i went to drive it and it doesnt seem like it wants to go anywhere. i go to drive and it stutters and doesnt want to go anywhere? has anyone ever had this trouble and could give me an idea at what to look at?
quickline2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
ein
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7018

My Ride:
92 VW GTI, 93 VW Corrado, 99 Civic Hatch

Did you drive it today? How dry/wet was it when you did drive it? If the car runs fine in the dry and not so great in the wet look at the ignition system. If the car was newer I'd say coil but the early Mk3's had a near bulletprooof coil (the round can type, they very rarely fail). Take a close look at the wires and check the plugs, cap, rotor. all of this is easily and cheaply purchased at GermanAutoParts.com you'll have them tomorrow if you order today.
ein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
quickline2
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10576

My Ride:
03 Evo 8 TB

it poured out all last night and this morning so i am thinking it has to do with the rain im hoping it dries out overnight and is fine but i want to fix the issue. i popped the hood and looked at the dizzy and wires and they seemed fine i fiddled with them a lil and drove it home so it might be that got wet. im hoping its somethign stupid im gonna clean the maf, tb and throw some seafoam in it to see if it clears it up

this isnt my first vw this is like my 7th so i am fairly familiar with them just never had this issue yet and was looking for pointers
Old 01-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
ein
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7018

My Ride:
92 VW GTI, 93 VW Corrado, 99 Civic Hatch

No seafoam if you are an additive guy use Marvel Mystery oil in the engine then change it after a few days. Just check out the electrical bits. This is a very common problem. Cap, wires, rotor and plugs. See how it runs then if it is still not great try the blue coolant temp sensor. The MAF is pretty good on the 2.0's (its not a Mk4) look at it and see f its actually dirty before just cleaning they're easily damaged. If none of this solves the problem then its a vacuum leak/check valve or the O2. The 2.0 is bullet proof you just have to keep it up to snuff on these little details.
ein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
GTI_NY
Tri-State Addict

Member #7578

My Ride:
I'm Dubbin' It!

I had a 95 jetta that ran aweful when it was wet out, like shook really bad and barely went when i hit the gas... it ending up being a faulty o2 sensor on the exhaust
Old 01-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
quickline2
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10576

My Ride:
03 Evo 8 TB

Well I'm gonna go over everything this weekend I was hoping a cel would pop up and I could figure it out that way but no go. I'll look into and post up what I find thanks for the help so far