TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

These people should be jailed or shot for feeding people illegally entering the US

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot...eserted-island

Human traffickers are hiding migrants on a deserted island off San Diego, a local news station reports.

Channel 10 News traveled there with humanitarian group Desert Angels, which leaves food and water on "Smuggle Island" in the northern part of Mexico's Coronado Islands to provide sustenance for immigrants entering the United States illegally.

The group's members told the station that when smugglers are worried about getting caught by the Coast Guard or when weather is bad, they leave immigrants on the island for days. Smugglers then transport the immigrants into U.S. territory via small "panga" boats that cross into San Diego in the middle of the night.

Desert Angels member Rafael Hernandez told the station his group found five immigrants who were abandoned on the island without food or water.

Illegal entries into the country are down overall, according to the Department of Homeland Security, but more migrants are using boats to try to enter the U.S.

Since border control has tightened, smugglers and lone border-crossers now try more remote and treacherous crossings to avoid capture. Hundreds of people died last year trying to cross into Arizona. This past summer, so many bodies of would-be immigrants turned up in the desert that authorities needed a refrigerated truck to store them all.

As Mexico's drug cartels have become more powerful, they have solidified their hold on the human smuggling market. People seeking to enter America illegally used to turn to an unorganized network of thousands of "coyotes" who would guide immigrants over the border in exchange for a fee. Now, drug cartels usher an estimated 176,000 immigrants per year into the United States. Experts say that the cartels' involvement means that these immigrants are much more vulnerable to financial exploitation or abandonment.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Vr-4-Life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1961

My Ride:
BMW E60 M5 V10 6 Speed --- Ducati Monster 696

They took our jerbs.
Vr-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
bmatyeah
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4478

My Ride:
1997 Ford Mustang

Send a message via AIM to bmatyeah
eh i would rather see the drug cartels go down because they pretty much run the country, then people supplying desperate people with food.

I do not support illegal immigration but supplying them food, is not smuggling them in.
bmatyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
james_ls
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1614

My Ride:
1998 Acura Integra LS//VTEC

Send a message via AIM to james_ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vr-4-Life View Post
They took our jerbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BUY MY STUFF!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
james_ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
Ok, so let me try to understand this.. You have Human beings trying to leave a sh**y Country to come to ours for a better life. They are trapped on an Island with no food/water. Other Human beings bring them food and water and you think they should be shot for it?

I understand its US law we're dealing with but the law being broken is a victimless crime (99% of the time).

Now If it was convicted rapist and murders being fed on a deserted Island I'd feel different.

Stay off my land!! I stole it first!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
DaBombDiggidy
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10372

My Ride:
2004 SRT

these people are being humane props to them honestly. i mean these drug cartels run the country they have barret rifles which will put a hole through you and your great grand child. Eff that in their shoes id run too. My problem is with the US fighting a war over seas when the "terror" war is in mexico which involves our full country directly through people fleeing from their country, people smuggeling drugs into our country and mass genocide etc. etc... I have seen two stories where a town sheriff is a college student, a girl for that matter, and another where after a drug cartel came in to a town literally shot up the police station broad daylight and then the WHOLE police force quit. SHIZ IS WACK down there Eff afgantoilet id rather see us take down the drug cartel in mexico at least it would effect us.

Quote:
-car guy to car guy "Biggest let down ever... its rear wheel drive but barely pushing 200 hp..."
-comment from non car enthusiast "I didn't know you could even be let down by a Scion....."

Last edited by DaBombDiggidy; 11-11-2010 at 10:40 AM.
DaBombDiggidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:
'98 240sx, 98 Impreza L, 00 SV650

Send a message via AIM to 420sx
This kind of reminds me of how Vancouver is dealing with their heroin problem. They accept that addicts will be addicts, and offer them a safe place to shoot up, with clean needles available and medication if someone OD's. Theres a lot of controversy involving it, but its kind of like saying "Look, we acknowledge that this is a problem, but we also acknowledge that its a problem we cant completely resolve. So in doing this, we can at least minimize the damage that this problem is causing."

Theyre not helping anyone get into the country. Theyre helping the people that do try (ie, those that would be attempting regardless of the supplies) to survive their journey. Theyre not adding to the problem of illegal immigration- theyre aiding those who are already willing to risk their lives to find a better life. Supplying these people with food and water isnt going to add to the amount of people attempting to cross. The only thing theyre affecting is the number of deaths related to illegal immigration. While I dont think illegal immigration is right, nor should it be tolerated, I dont think we should condemn those who do try to death for their actions.

The solution to our immigration problem isnt in preventing those who cross. The solution is to improve conditions in their own country so they wont NEED to come here.

I know, I know.. easier said than done.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420sx View Post
This kind of reminds me of how Vancouver is dealing with their heroin problem. They accept that addicts will be addicts, and offer them a safe place to shoot up, with clean needles available and medication if someone OD's. Theres a lot of controversy involving it, but its kind of like saying "Look, we acknowledge that this is a problem, but we also acknowledge that its a problem we cant completely resolve. So in doing this, we can at least minimize the damage that this problem is causing."

Theyre not helping anyone get into the country. Theyre helping the people that do try (ie, those that would be attempting regardless of the supplies) to survive their journey. Theyre not adding to the problem of illegal immigration- theyre aiding those who are already willing to risk their lives to find a better life. Supplying these people with food and water isnt going to add to the amount of people attempting to cross. The only thing theyre affecting is the number of deaths related to illegal immigration. While I dont think illegal immigration is right, nor should it be tolerated, I dont think we should condemn those who do try to death for their actions.

The solution to our immigration problem isnt in preventing those who cross. The solution is to improve conditions in their own country so they wont NEED to come here.

they're adding to the problem of illegal immigration by giving them a better chance of surviving to get into the country.

granted, i don't believe they should be left to rot and die from starvation.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
they're adding to the problem of illegal immigration by giving them a better chance of surviving to get into the country.

Agreed. If you were trying to slip in the country and you knew of an island where food and water was provided along the way, you'd be both more likely to try it as well as have better results.

Quote:
But what if they encouraged it AND the stickers turn out to be awesome? They COULD POSSIBLY say something like "I love Mike and would turn gay for his tattooed, bmw driving, new york living ass". just saying.
twastheglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:

Suppling them with food/water improves their chances and takes away some of the harsness of being smuggled. I bet more people are willing to risk it if they knew it wouldn't such a ****ty/risky tast. I also don't agree that making their country better is the solution. There are penty of countries that suck and their immigrants seem to be able to fill out the paperwork to come here legally. Not say they are all 100% legal, but its a much greater percentage then S. America. They need to be shot at the border. No question asked. There is no consequence for illegal immigration and until their is, they will keep trespassing in our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post

Why not? They choose their own path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twastheglow View Post
Agreed. If you were trying to slip in the country and you knew of an island where food and water was provided along the way, you'd be both more likely to try it as well as have better results.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

In my opinion, this is an incredibly sticky subject. Should it be allowed to continue, personally I don't think so. It's perpetuating something the government is trying to stop. BUT, it's hard to condemn the people trying to help their brother human being out. It's a definite catch-22. Both sides on the subject are right...one legally, one morally.

Quote:
But what if they encouraged it AND the stickers turn out to be awesome? They COULD POSSIBLY say something like "I love Mike and would turn gay for his tattooed, bmw driving, new york living ass". just saying.
twastheglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #12
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
Why not? They choose their own path.
because we're all earthlings.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #13
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twastheglow View Post
I agree with you. But I highly doubt that argument, in practicality, will cause the number of immigration attempts to rise. This isnt going to be the deciding factor in whether or not a Mexican is willing to attempt a crossing. It may be perpetuating the problem of illegal immigration by improving the chances of those who do cross- but Id be hard pressed to agree with anyone arguing that this alone will lead to an increase in border crossings.

Quote:
I also don't agree that making their country better is the solution. There are penty of countries that suck and their immigrants seem to be able to fill out the paperwork to come here legally. Not say they are all 100% legal, but its a much greater percentage then S. America. They need to be shot at the border. No question asked. There is no consequence for illegal immigration and until their is, they will keep trespassing in our country.
I agree with you completely on the fact that there is no consequence for illegal immigration, and that being a major problem. Unfortunately, getting our government to bring up charges and prosecute someone who isnt a citizen can prove difficult, but until there are serious consequences for those caught crossing, people will continue to make multiple attempts to cross until they succeed.

But I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that improving their conditions isnt the solution. Why are they coming here? Because its a better life. If the same quality of life was available in Mexico, i highly doubt people would be risking their lives to come here. Now that opens a whole new can of worms as to why should we help improve their conditions? Why should we put our time, money, and resources into improving a third world country solely for the sake of preventing them from coming here? That answer I cannot give you- thats a question that can only be answered by your own moral compass. But the point Im making is, if conditions were improved in mexico, even slightly, the affect it would have on illegal immigration would be far more profound than the minuscule affect that this article describes. I'm sure its got to be an incredibly difficult decision to risk your life in pursuit of a better one. Im betting that any improvement of conditions in mexico and guatemala would have a huge affect on the number of people who are willing to risk everything just to come here.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #14
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
But I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that improving their conditions isnt the solution. Why are they coming here? Because its a better life. If the same quality of life was available in Mexico, i highly doubt people would be risking their lives to come here. Now that opens a whole new can of worms as to why should we help improve their conditions? Why should we put our time, money, and resources into improving a third world country solely for the sake of preventing them from coming here? That answer I cannot give you- thats a question that can only be answered by your own moral compass. But the point Im making is, if conditions were improved in mexico, even slightly, the affect it would have on illegal immigration would be far more profound than the minuscule affect that this article describes. I'm sure its got to be an incredibly difficult decision to risk your life in pursuit of a better one. Im betting that any improvement of conditions in mexico and guatemala would have a huge affect on the number of people who are willing to risk everything just to come here.
I agree with this part. But I'm still not for using our resources to better another country. I'd rather create more border patrol jobs in the US.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #15
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:

Quote:
I agree with this part. But I'm still not for using our resources to better another country. I'd rather create more border patrol jobs in the US.
Its a toss up, for me. On one hand, why should we waste resources in someone elses country?

But on the other hand, who's to say that wouldnt be a much WISER use of resources? Say we have $1,000,000 to spend (arbitrary number just for conversations sake). Say we spend that million on border patrol jobs, and manage to decrease illegal immigration by 5%.

If that same million dollars was spent on improving conditions in Mexico, and led to a decrease in immigration by 10%.. would that not then be a worthwhile use for the money?

You dont want to spend US resources on another country, but would you still take that position if the same money would have twice the impact if spent as Ive described?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:32 AM   #16
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

Jesus does not condone this activity. Survival of the fittest.
I highly encourage you to be pedophiles in the privacy of your own home, and to cross your fingers you never have your house raided by the FBI who will put you in jail for 30 years where you will be treated like one of the preteen little girls who you used to adore so much.
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #17
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
Quote:
Its a toss up, for me. On one hand, why should we waste resources in someone elses country?

But on the other hand, who's to say that wouldnt be a much WISER use of resources? Say we have $1,000,000 to spend (arbitrary number just for conversations sake). Say we spend that million on border patrol jobs, and manage to decrease illegal immigration by 5%.

If that same million dollars was spent on improving conditions in Mexico, and led to a decrease in immigration by 10%.. would that not then be a worthwhile use for the money?

You dont want to spend US resources on another country, but would you still take that position if the same money would have twice the impact if spent as Ive described?
I agree with this naturally, spend money to save money in the future. All the money spent on border patrol should of been spent helping Mexico get their sh** together (police / economy / structure) eventually lowering the amount of people fleeing from the country to ours.

If only Mexico had huge oil supplies to get the greedy on board with this idea.