TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

What do you want in an aftermarket company

Researching for a school project.

What do you, as a car enthusiast want from a shop/ aftermarket company?

1. Do you prefer top of the line parts with great fit or are you okay with having to pry things around to save a few dollars?

2. Regarding the above, is there a best of both worlds? explain.

3. Do you prefer to buy made in the usa products when possible? why or why not.

4. What do you look for in a install/repair shop, does the price of labor generally reflect the quality of work? Is it possible(in your mind) to find a shop that does great work and doesn't break the bank

feel free to add any other comments towards dealing with aftermarket part companies and custom tuning/repair shops.

Thanks guys!
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Subi1993
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #20632

My Ride:
04 Saturn ION3 2.2 Ecotec

1.) I personally prefer top of the line direct bolt up parts. This way i know im getting the best power, or best look that are made for my specific make or model. yes it may be pricey in certain aspects but you cant put a price on quality.

2.) There really can be a best of both worlds as long as you do the right research. 3 different companies could carry the same product at different prices. And when you compare and you research those companies you can see that quality and care htat these companies have for you and your vehicle.

3.) USA parts arent exactly a must when it comes to parts buying. I prefer to purchase parts that are real quality. regardless of where they came from as long as they are good solid quality built parts you cant go wrong.

4.) When it comes to an install/repair shop the price of labor has no influence on the capabilities of the technicians. There are plenty of shops out there that charge tons of money per hour but have straight out of school no experience techs, whereas you can find smaller mom and po pshops that dont break the bank but they do quality professional work.

5.) when dealing with aftermarket companies you ALWAYS have to do your research. weather your after looks or performance there are always a ton of options for each part. What i like to generally look for in every aspect of purchasing parts is Q-qulity T-time it takes to recieve the part (shipping) I-interest (what brings you to the parts and what can you gain, advantages and disadvantages) P-Price (self explanitory) and S-strength (if you have a strong well known companie with built to last parts your set)
Subi1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Fujito
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10571

My Ride:
Toyota Celica

1. Perfect fitment is expected. If it does not fit/perform correctly then it is an unfinished product, and I will return it. Price does not always reflect quality. There are ebay brands that fit perfectly.

3. Yes because companies in the USA have better customer service. It's easier to warranty and return products.

4. Price does not reflect quality. It reflects their cost structure. A very small shop with lower overhead will be cheaper than a larger shop with higher overhead. I look for a shop that gives me their time over everything else. Being a valued customer will make the difference between a hack job and a great car.
Fujito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
dugganzx3
Tri-State Addict

Member #17852

My Ride:
has leather and T-tops.

1-2. Depends on the part, body panels and things of that nature often need a little massaging, but if its mechanical I expect it to work as it should regardless of cost. I will often take chances on cheaper brands if they have at least average reviews and the specs seem good. I don't mind shelling out a little extra for perfect fitment, but some name brands are over rated, especially for the price, so there is usually a fine line in the middle.

3. Yes, specifically to help support small U.S. based companies, often owned/operated by fellow U.S. car enthusiasts.

4. Price of labor is big, but also the time quote, some shops that have cheap/reasonable labor will quote you for a lot more hours than it should take to do a job. There are some shops that balance price with quality work, usually smaller privetley owned garages. When it comes to speed shops specifically, cost seems to mean little, a lot of expensive shops seem to have sub par reviews.

5. The internet is a huge aid for researching before you buy a part or trust your car to a garage.