TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #801
schaffer
Tri-State Addict

Member #16147

My Ride:
2015 Tacoma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchSurfer3 View Post
Make sure you're keep your protein intake up and you should be fine. Just don't want to burn through all your muscle mass.
I've been eating the same. I've been running three times a week, 2-3 miles. Prepping for a possible physical training test for a job. I've been mixing in circuits with pushups and pull ups while running.
schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #802
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

I wouldn't recommend a constant bulk/cut routine. You can focus on gaining strength and size during certain times and then leaning out a bit other times. But some people will try and put on 10-15 lbs of muscle then cut it down too far. It essentially equates to yo yo dieting. Just be healthy, if you want to put on muscle adjust your macros for more protein/cals. Take it slow though. If you're looking to gain muscle, and you're doing it properly (which it seems you are) a rate of .5 lbs a week is about right. So keep it going. Its going to take a lot of time and effort but it seems you're on the right path.

When I was about 175-180 it took sooo much for me to get to 200 lbs. But once you finally hit your goal it is very satisfying.

On another note I may be suffering a pretty big setback. I may have torn the "meniscus" in my wrist. I get an mri today. If it is a tear I may need surgery will will really hinder the progress I've made. So we will see what happens

FRP™ #5

Last edited by HatchSurfer3; 06-18-2014 at 08:49 AM.
HatchSurfer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #803
teecap93
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #23647

My Ride:
2005 Subaru STI, 1993 Mazda RX7, 1971 Volkswagen Beetle

That's brutal if that's the case...hoping for some good news for you.

I felt in a rut the last two weeks, but this Monday I decided to do an all barbell chest day and dips. Man what a refresher. I had gotten away from barbells lately bc I lift alone and dumbbells/hammer strengths got too common in my workout. I was repping some pretty decent weights and was really sore the next two days. I was even able to up the weight on my barbell rows on Tuesday so pretty decent week so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
teecap93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #804
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Man I hope your injury isn't too bad... I know how much that sucks.

And thanks for the responses, good point about more muscle mass burning more calories, I forgot about that part.
I'm afraid my progress is slowing but I might just be moving last the initial jump you get from starting from scratch and now I'm settling into more normal gains. I feel like I've been doing this forever but it's only been 10 or 11 weeks total which really isn't much.
I'm thin but lack definition so I feel like although my general proportions are pretty good for a lean but athletic build it makes me look pretty blah still. I guess all in time...

I think my eating has been off the past week or two, not getting enough food in during the day so I'm behind by dinner time. Working on better prep and remembering to throw some snacks in there.

I remember my first day at the gym I did 6, 5, then 4 pull-ups and yesterday I did 18, 12, 8, and 6 with 1 min breaks. I fade fast but am psyched about the overall progress. Busting my ass so I better make progress!
Ok... off to leg day, total love/hate relationship.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #805
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Thanks guys. No structural damage shown in the MRI so the doc says its just a bad a sprain. Also said I can keep lifting as long as I can deal with the pain so that's a plus! But at the same time I just have to keep waiting for it to heal. Hopefully soon though.

FRP™ #5
Old 06-25-2014, 10:23 PM   #806
teecap93
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #23647

My Ride:

That's good news at least. Sounds like it could've been alot worse.

Life with a 7-month old in day care led me to my second cold/sore throat/fever in the past 5 months. I feel lost on my lunch break not going to the gym...I am definitely chomping at the bit to get back in. I'm starting to feel better today, so I'll do the smart thing and hold off until Monday to get back in.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #807
massone
Tri-State Addict

Member #2256

My Ride:
93 300zxtt, 07 Legacy gt

Good to hear you can still lift, I don't know what I'd do if ever told that I had to lay off lifting, probably just get fat playing Xbox all day haha.

Troll pretty sure from seeing you at some meets that you would have to eat a pretty good amount of food to put on some really noticeable body fat. My opinion would be to stay clean bulking while really monitoring your weight and how you look and adjust your macros as needed, which should help maintain your definition. Maybe really kick it into gear towards the end of fall/beginning of winter and up the cals, then cut down next spring. That'll give you plenty of time to add mass and enjoy the holidays;)

But it's up to you and your goals. From people I've heard from they've loved the results from cutting down after a longer period of bulking.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #808
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Wrist is almost back to normal and starting to up my weights again thankfully. Have my BB shoulder press up to 135 for reps (don't do 1rm anymore). I can definitely do more but with my previously injured shoulder need to take it slow. Started doing BB bench again for the first time in years. I always did DB which i really prefer. But its good to switch things up. Please I've been doing 10 sets of 3. Its so much easier to do with bb rather than having to pick up the dbs every time haha. The odd thing is my bb is lower than my db weights. It should def be the other way around.

Hope everyone is keeping up with their routine!

FRP™ #5
Old 07-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #809
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

I've finished my 12 week program and am looking for a new bulk routine if anyone has any suggestions for a 4-5 day a week routine.

I'm still getting to the gym but my diet has been less consistent , probably not eating enough and my weight has just hovered around 173-174 for the last couple of weeks. I had climbed consistently to 175 so to be stuck here now sucks but I know it's on me and I need to eat more.
Workouts are also feeling a bit stagnant but I'm going to switch routines now which should solve that I hope. I'm up 10 lbs and really want to get another 10... going to keep bulking as suggested to get there.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 10-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #810
cavillac95
Tri-State Addict

Member #16606

My Ride:
g37x - 370z - civic

Last edited by cavillac95; 10-08-2014 at 02:46 PM.
cavillac95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #811
teecap93
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #23647

My Ride:

I'm approaching my 40th week of solid working out and am pleased where I am. I dropped to close to 180 in August for vacation but since then have been trying to push heavier weights and eat enough to grow. I'm close to 195 (not eating clean but not complete junk). I just finished my bent over BB rows for a set of 8 at 185lbs, pretty strict too. I am hoping to be over 200 x 8 BB rows in the next month. Also hoping to start repping 225x8 on bench over the next two weeks or so.

My shoulders are lagging from a weight stand point tho. I think it's because I train chest and tris prior to shoulder during the week and those secondary muscles to help in military press are recovering still. I'll probably switch it up and put shoulders first in the week sometime soon.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:48 AM   #812
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Just bumping this to see how everyone is doing...

I've been moving along alright, slow but still moving in the right direction. My body weight is around 180 lbs right now (started at 165 in April with a goal of 185). Going to try and get really focused again starting Jan 1st to get up to 185 lbs, then probably try this cutting thing out for the first time to see if I can bring in some definition. Not the end goal, but thats the short term plan to get me into March/April this year.

And since tee cap had mentioned it above, I know I can bench 185 x 12, but I haven't tried a 1 rep max yet. May give that a shot next time I have a good spot just because I'm curious.

edit: here's my weight progress with some time off in the middle courtesy of the herniated disc in my lower back that always keeps me on my toes

|

Quote:

|

Last edited by TROLL; 12-22-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #813
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
Hey Bryan- How does you back feel these days?
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:54 AM   #814
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Lately, pretty good. Thanks for asking. I did have about a 2-3 month period where I wasn't going to the gym because I reaggrivated my back (see dip in chart above). The past few months have been stable though and I'm hoping things stay that way. I still move carefully, I don't try to do really quick harsh movements, and I still don't deadlift or squat as per doctor's orders, so it can definitely be frustrating.

I had done some squats and deadlifts with anywhere from just bodyweight to an extra 50-75 lbs and the squats always went ok but the deadlifts didn't feel good after a while. I was also doing a leg press machine but that ended up bothering me after a while too so I stopped. I just really don't want to risk reinjury so hopefully the other leg exercises I'm doing are enough to keep me well rounded (leg curls, leg extensions, lunges, seated calf raise. I will probably do squats just holding dumbbells at my side too.
I'm also doing yoga 1-2 days a week in addition to lifting 4 days a week (sometimes do them back to back) and I think its good for me for stretching, stability, and core strength. Just much different movements than I'd do otherwise so I welcome the variety.

I just started a 12 week bulk program, at 182 lbs so I'm going to ride this out and see where it gets me. Its set up differently than what I've done before and so far its made for really good workouts. After that I'm going to do a 12 week cut which will be a first for me but hoping that gets me to a pretty decent spot.

How are things going on your end?

|

Quote:

|
Old 01-08-2015, 01:00 AM   #815
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Also, just pulled this out of the oven. Should have made more chicken but this was the last of what was in the freezer before I restock.

McCormic Bold n Spicy Chipotle seasoning is AMAZING on chicken. Its pretty much all I use now and I still haven't gotten sick of it somehow. (one pork chop, 2 chicken thighs, and 4 sweet potatoes)

|

Quote:

|
Old 03-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #816
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
Picked up 10lbs in 6 months after moving in with my GF. Domestication will do that I guess
Old 03-03-2015, 01:33 AM   #817
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Haha a good 10 lbs?
My body weight Went down and then back up but I can't seem to break 182/183. Need to tighten up diet more which mostly means make sure to eat enough every day, consistently.
At this point I was hoping to be approaching 190 but that's obviously not happening. Not too sure my strength is moving up much either. In the gym 4 days a week for a little over an hour each time, maybe that's not enough.
I feel good though and have gotten quite a few comments about looking bigger so I'll take what I can get.
Going to try and cut for a bit starting next month which is totally new to me so well see how that goes.

|

Quote:

|

Last edited by TROLL; 03-03-2015 at 01:35 AM.