TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Spotted!
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 06-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #41
Stillen GLE
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6774

My Ride:
2003 Nissan Maxima GLE

Send a message via AIM to Stillen GLE
yea surposely these cars are impossible to modify. they have sensors where you wouldnt expect. and like they all set off a dash light in your car and it saves in the computer and the dealer can see if you messed with something.

Stillen GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #42
Kevin
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2345

My Ride:
EVO

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
**** don't need modzzz

Quote:
Thanks dude, you should know better than to think id ditch my dsm's for a vw... lol.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #43
ozthunder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2994

My Ride:
2006 Nissan SE-R Spec V

Send a message via AIM to ozthunder
No it doesn't, not when it obliterates anything in the area.

But computers aren't impossible, either.

Just remember- you don't have the engineering or the researching ability Nissan does. To think you can do it better in any facet is probably the most foolhardy thing you could think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ozthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #44
youraveragedsmer
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #7506

My Ride:
2G AWD

Car is nice but i the way i see it is a $80,000 dollar car getting smoked by a 8,000 dollar DSM!!!
youraveragedsmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #45
PhillySVT
Tri-State Addict

Member #7434

My Ride:
Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOS View Post
nissan denies that tho. and i believe them.

either way, if you can afford a gtr.. you can most likely afford to FIX a gtr if it breaks.
it did it on a test in a mag I read....i got to find it. I think it's way overpriced then you get nailed with the dealer add on.
^seriously........ when you drive a 15 second car you dont really "smoke" any car....you casually gain ground.
PhillySVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #46
PhillySVT
Tri-State Addict

Member #7434

My Ride:
Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozthunder View Post
No it doesn't, not when it obliterates anything in the area.

But computers aren't impossible, either.

Just remember- you don't have the engineering or the researching ability Nissan does. To think you can do it better in any facet is probably the most foolhardy thing you could think.
That is a dumb statement....every car can be modified to perform better. Don't act like this is the end all of cars. Their is all ready mixed reports about the times it has ran. (I tend to believe Nissan and just think it was a superior driver who knows the track). To think this car is being handed to you at the upmost of perfection is a false dream.
^seriously........ when you drive a 15 second car you dont really "smoke" any car....you casually gain ground.

Last edited by PhillySVT; 06-11-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #47
The Captain
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3369

My Ride:
Prelude

If it has to comply with emissions restrictions, it can already be made better.

- "America is all about speed - hot, nasty bad-ass speed." Eleanor Roosevelt (1965)
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #48
ozthunder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2994

My Ride:
2006 Nissan SE-R Spec V

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillySVT View Post
That is a dumb statement....every car can be modified to perform better. Don't act like this is the end all of cars. Their is all ready mixed reports about the times it has ran. (I tend to believe Nissan and just think it was a superior driver who knose the track). To think this car is being handed to you at the upmost of perfection is a false dream.
Really? So why does a company spend millions of dollars, hours, and work on a single car- like a GTR, Veyron, etc- if Joe Pug can do it in his backyard with a Firebird?

And obviously it's not perfect- if you've paid attention to the GTR, you know there is a V Spec/Spec V model. Obviously Nissan doesn't think it is perfect either if there will be a superior model. Or like I said before, the US spec is changed from the Japanese spec (mainly susp/mount differences).

But to think that one could engineer as well as a company with billions of dollars and almost limitless resources- like Nissan, Volkswagen, Porsche, etc- that's fairly naive. Not to say they do it in vain- no, that'd be a fallacy. But to say they can "improve", well, I think that is naive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #49
PhillySVT
Tri-State Addict

Member #7434

My Ride:
Ford Raptor

Quote:
Really? So why does a company spend millions of dollars, hours, and work on a single car- like a GTR, Veyron, etc- if Joe Pug can do it in his backyard with a Firebird?

And obviously it's not perfect- if you've paid attention to the GTR, you know there is a V Spec/Spec V model. Obviously Nissan doesn't think it is perfect either if there will be a superior model. Or like I said before, the US spec is changed from the Japanese spec (mainly susp/mount differences).

But to think that one could engineer as well as a company with billions of dollars and almost limitless resources- like Nissan, Volkswagen, Porsche, etc- that's fairly naive. Not to say they do it in vain- no, that'd be a fallacy. But to say they can "improve", well, I think that is naive.
The same could be said about all the other top cars from company yet the aftermarket still exist....Not saying Nissan didn't design a hell of a car. I tend to think out of all the car companies nissan get's the most out of a platform. I'm actually a pretty big nissan fan. Funny how porshe, nissan, and vw have huge aftermarket options. I assume the backyard firebird comment is a dig on the fact that I now own a domestic?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #50
probevette
Tri-State Addict

Member #5313

My Ride:
Slow Audi's

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOS View Post
beautiful cars... i cant wait to see one on the road... after getting up close and personal at the autoshow i can attest to the "1337ness"

There is a very good chance there mayyyy just be one living in the poconos soon. Swing by for some detailing seminars and i'll show you some of the new CarbonWerkz toys.

Last edited by probevette; 06-11-2008 at 08:16 PM.
probevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #51
WhitePony02
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5092

My Ride:
2002 Ford Mustang

You talked to the guy and didn't stab him in the face? You're not a real man.

That car looks sick in white.
WhitePony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #52
Chair-Force
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #278

My Ride:
yo st8 driftin, b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youraveragedsmer View Post
Car is nice but i the way i see it is a $80,000 dollar car getting smoked by a 8,000 dollar DSM!!!
difference being one is a supercar and one is a hunk of shat.
take both to a road course and see how bad that dsm gets spanked.
Chair-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #53
ozthunder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2994

My Ride:
2006 Nissan SE-R Spec V

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillySVT View Post
The same could be said about all the other top cars from company yet the aftermarket still exist....Not saying Nissan didn't design a hell of a car. I tend to think out of all the car companies nissan get's the most out of a platform. I'm actually a pretty big nissan fan. Funny how porshe, nissan, and vw have huge aftermarket options. I assume the backyard firebird comment is a dig on the fact that I now own a domestic?
lol no, I did that b/c I got a lulzworthy image of a man strapping a rocket to a firebird. I owned a GTO, relax

The aftermarket doesn't necessarily mean engineering IMHO..some parts are highly engineered, but the whole car itself afterwards is often not. Now cars that come from companies with assets..like an Amuse, MINE's, NISMO, etc, they put some form of engineering behind it. Engineering we really can't replicate in our garage unless we have $$$$$ and a LOT of people.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #54
HQuakers
Tri-State Addict

Member #6849

My Ride:
97 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chair-Force View Post
difference being one is a supercar and one is a hunk of shat.
take both to a road course and see how bad that dsm gets spanked.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think the white looks great on the GTR.

Also, can't help it but when the OP said he imported it straight from Japan, all I could think about is this guy:
HQuakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #55
Whitesupra94
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7206

My Ride:
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo

Send a message via AIM to Whitesupra94
Quote:
To think you can do it better in any facet is probably the most foolhardy thing you could think.
Quote:

contradict yourself much?

And yes, one engineer could do "better" depending on what better means. Nissan has to engineer reliablity, safety, and longevity into their product. They have to pick the best compromise. Cracking an ecu allows you to improve the performance, but at what cost? Who knows, but one enginner could make changes to "better" the car in terms of an enthusiasts standpoint. It's a turbo car for god's sake, up the boost a pound or two and you get major returns!

Nissan also has to engineer(if you will) demand for their higher model, and then the price increase for the upper model.

Time will tell with this one, and I'm sure the transmission is going to be the weak link that keeps this from being an all out beast of a car when the horsepower and boost gets cranked. Let the car prove itself on the street, (and stay in one piece for a few years) and let the hype build then.

rant time:
This car is so overhyped and ugly that it's rediculous. I respect a car that can perform, but I don't know if even an mother could love that mug. it likes like this from every angle except the back. And 3800 pounds....

I don't understand why people defend this car so much. There is also a TON of discrepancy in the times this car posts. some mags are pulling 115mph traps and others are pulling 124mph. Ringer, overprotective ecu in certain conditions? who knows.

Last edited by Whitesupra94; 06-12-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Whitesupra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #56
ozthunder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2994

My Ride:
2006 Nissan SE-R Spec V

No, I actually don't see a contradiction. You can "improve", but you only ever improve individual facets- RARELY does one have the ability to improve the entire car leaps and bounds.

Cracking the ECU may be an improvement- but what happens to the rest of the car? Does that not need to adapt to the changes?

And btw, my last bolded line shows there is no contradiction.

I'm not saying you can't do stuff to a car to make it what you want- but you can't build a supercar without a team, money, and solid engineering. The day that it could happen consistently is the day I'm wrong.

Not to mention it'd cost a whole helluva lot more than the msrp of this thing.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #57
Murderface
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7492

My Ride:
2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
And yes, one engineer could do "better" depending on what better means. Nissan has to engineer reliablity, safety, and longevity into their product. They have to pick the best compromise.
This illustrates my view on this whole idea pretty well.

Engineers that design production cars have to design the car to address many concerns; reliability, longevity, performance, emissions, safety and comfort etc all at once. When you modify a car, you are offsetting its performance, usually with at least some impedance to reliability, longevity and perhaps comfort.

I think the point is you can't make your DSM/whatever perform like a GTR with all the comfort and practicality that Nissan's engineers put in it. Sure, maybe with spherical bearings and rock solid suspension your can corner like a GTR but your back will be sore and parts will wear faster.

Engineers painstakingly study and understand the characteristics and effects of their designs, especially in the long term. However installing aftermarket suspension in your garage for example, can compromise the longevity of the entire suspension system since it is not designed to work with stiffer struts/lower springs, although it will make your car perform better. Changing your suspension geometry can offset transfer of forces into places the car was not designed to withstand constantly, which can lead to more rapid wear. The effect might not be noticeable, but it's there.

Last edited by Murderface; 06-12-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #58
Whitesupra94
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7206

My Ride:
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo

Quote:
No, I actually don't see a contradiction. You can "improve", but you only ever improve individual facets- RARELY does one have the ability to improve the entire car leaps and bounds.

Cracking the ECU may be an improvement- but what happens to the rest of the car? Does that not need to adapt to the changes?

And btw, my last bolded line shows there is no contradiction.

I'm not saying you can't do stuff to a car to make it what you want- but you can't build a supercar without a team, money, and solid engineering. The day that it could happen consistently is the day I'm wrong.

Not to mention it'd cost a whole helluva lot more than the msrp of this thing.
one contradiction I see is that you say it's crazy to think you can do better, but then say the car obviously isn't perfect. Anything not perfect must be able to be improved someway, somehow.

The last two pieces I highlighted because it would in actuality be naive to think they CAN'T do better. It's all about what they can do to make the most money, not put out the best car no matter the cost.

BUT...I suppose that all depends on what your definition of improve is. As an enthusiast, I made a sweeping generalization that most of us on here don't mind deleting a cat, upping the boost, or going with a more aggressive suspension. All of these things will improve the areas of the car that are important to enthusiasts, and improve the performance aspect. I'm sure most of us will give up some of the comfort, and possible longevity issues by adding these things. After all, anyone of us who modifies a car in anyway (even a cone filter) is basically doing that.

Nissan engineer paintsaking study how to make the car as liveable as possible while performing, and thats the bottom line. They stated they want everyone to be able to speak quietly in the car and hear each other. All that comes at a cost of added weight in the muffler area and restricted flow, as well as pounds on pounds of sound deadening material.

As enthusaist in the auto industry we are sorely cast aside in most cases because we don't make them money, so they make consessions to appeal to the masses. (A midpipe on a supra TT deletes a cat and frees up exhaust flow to the tune of 20-30rwhp, of course Nissan cant remove a cat but freer flow is possible by allowing more noise)

Back to the ecu cracking. Nissan spend millions(probably im guessing) to get the ecu right. And they overengineered it so that there wont have to be massive changes for the V-spec. I can almost garuntee you those changes can be made to the current gtr, and that the car can handle it just fine. They wouldn't R&D the engine/ecu just enough so that the car can get by at X pounds of boost, they had to R&D it past the point of the V-spec's ability. The cost is already there, but they want to recoup more of it by justifying a higher model (and price), thats why the current gtr is where its at. Marketing and strategy.

So it really isn't naive to think the car cant be better, after all its supposed to be a world beater isnt it? The problem is nissan has to make it a world beater for the masses and that is why it can always be improved.

Last edited by Whitesupra94; 06-12-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #59
Whitesupra94
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7206

My Ride:
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo

Hell, the more I think about it, the whole 'R' compound tire discrepancy with the GTR ring' time illustrates my point in pure simplicity.

Everyone bitched becuse it was thought the GTR was running R compounds and not the factory stock tires. Something as simple as changing a tire makes the car better.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #60
Red Devil
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #6965

My Ride:
1990 Nissan 240SX

I think the only real obstacle for power is the tranny. From what I understand twin clutch DSG's dont like excess amounts of torque
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote