TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Ask The Law
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
hondaguy215
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #6555

Exhaust ticket in Pa

I got pulled over last night while I was on my pizza delivery job. For having a loud exhaust. I wasnt even getting on it I was shifting at 3k rpms. I do have a canister style exhaust on my car with no cat and 2 resonators. So he gave me $108 ticket and said if I fix it he could help me out in court.

Ive been looking on the pacode website and heres what Ive found. He got me on 175.75 (b) (1). (b) says "Exhaust system requirements. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be constructed, equipped, maintained and operated to prevent engine exhaust gases from penetrating and collecting in any part of the vehicle occupied by the driver or a passenger, in addition to requirements of this title for an emission control system and smoke control for a diesel-powered vehicle."

(1) "A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise-suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation. A muffler or exhaust system may not be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device and a muffler may not show evidence of external repair."

My car does have a muffler. I dont really get the part of external repair.
The cop only wrote (b) (1) on there but (2) says

"2) The exhaust system of a vehicle may not be modified in a manner which will amplify or increase noise emitted by the motor of a vehicle above the maximum level permitted by Chapter 157 (relating to established sound levels). "

I checked the sound levels and they said. "Any other motor vehicle and any combination of vehicles towed by such motor vehicles. 84 decibals at 50 ft.

Do I have any chance of fighting this? The only concern I have if I fight this is if they find out I dont have a cat. Would they check if I fight this?
hondaguy215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Sarge
Tri-State Addict

Member #5130

My Ride:
2006 Crown Victoria Police "Interceptor".

You can fight it but I don't think you will win. As far as check for a cat they could if they wanted too.