TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 05-21-2008, 01:00 AM   #1
julianBatess
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #6300

89 prelude si; some questions

Theres this dude around me sellin this prelude si. I'm in a weird place with this, carfaxed, it checks out, i tried askin him tricky questions and he gave me good answers, but went I went to see the car it didn't quite start off all that well. Took it for a spin, it stalled out up a hill (probably me ) and then wouldn't start. Then he did some **** where he "jumped" it rollin down hill and from there it sounded and ran great.

Initially it idled at 2k for a minute or two. Is this age and maybe not being run for a while or are there potentially more problems? The records I've seen showed the exhaust upgrade, alternator, timing belt, one cv joint and a front axle. It's a honda, and its cheap and old and sexy, and I just don't wanna spend money on something that's potentially gonna eat more and more
julianBatess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

Waiting on vtecepidemic/mulrich to reply...
In the meantime Ill reply Its an old prelude, It will probably have its issues, theres a reason its cheap. However, most likely the stalling up hill was you, but describe wouldnt start. The starter wouldnt crank over or it was cranking and just not starting? The downhill jump is a common thing, im assuming you havent been around manual cars too long. If its had all that maintenance, its clean, and the only issue was that little bit of not starting i say go for it if its cheap. The cars are cool looking, original in the honda world, and great fun to drive.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
julianBatess

Member #6300

Ok so I stall. i should also say the ebrakes dead (he said new rear calipers may fix this?) so I let it roll back against the curb and the dude who owns it hopped in and it just like, idk I can't describe the sound. It was like trying to start and just not kickin in. Once we turned it around though it jump started. He didn't know how old the battery was either and I didn't find any recent records of that. I'm thinkin the car is in good shape. I've heard preludes engines before (b20a5) and it sounded solid. I didn't like the exhaust it sounded tinny, but that's something I could replace relatively cheap. I'm just skeptical. I like the car but I've never seen a car just do that and then keep going. He drove it back from VA where he bought it and said it was fine for the 3 hour or so drive. Anyone else have an opinion here?

Yea I guess it was cranking and not starting. Like I could feel the engine trying to get going but it just didn't. It probably won't be a big issue but I mean if I'm still feeling out stick and I stall on a hill again, I'm not gonna wanna push the car and turn it around just to jump in and jump it. It did ride smooth as hell though with someone who could drive stick well ( was my second time trying haha).
Old 05-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

the battery may be toast. The car does not need a good battery to run once started.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
julianBatess

Member #6300

and that's due to the alternator and distributor being able to use the little power it's given right? Well the guy said someone else is comin to check it out today, so if he doesn't buy it, should I? Is it worthy of my 1500 (plus whatever I would need for the tune-up, ebrake, etc). Anyone know any cheap reliable mechanics? I can do an oil change and change the battery but not too much from there. I mean I could get a book but I'd rather have someone do it, at least the first time around.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

never offer to pay asking price up-front. If hes asking 1500 offer 1k, see what he counters with, and go from there. Where are you located?
Old 05-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #7
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to russiankid
The car may need a simple tune up. Is this fuel injected or carburetored? I know some of them had dual carb's which could explain some starting issues and the high idle. As far as the E-brake. If the calipers aren't seized then most likely either the cables are broken, or the caliper just needs a rebuild. Sometimes the E-brake mechanism gets stuck, so that could be an issue as well.

Rebuilding the calipers will run you a maximum of $50 with new seals, washers, and fluid.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:24 AM   #8
julianBatess

Member #6300

I've been talkin to the guy and he was originally askin for 2500 idk why.