TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Ask The Law
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Subie_sleeper
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5775

My Ride:
'06 Subaru Baja Turbo. Cash consuming vortex from HELL

Proper procedure to transport a firearm with & without a carry permit.

I recently purchased a S&W Governor revolver.

I'd like to know the proper proceedure for transporting it.

(The staff at the Army/Navy Store in Whitehall Pa. were pretty vague)

If you don't have a permit to carry, I'm almost positive that it needs to un-loaded, in the trunk with any ammo locked in the glove box.....

If you DO have a permit to carry,(I applied for one) is it legal to have the gun & ammo locked in the glove box? Loaded, un-loaded?

I don't plan to drive around with a loaded gun every time I'm going to the store, or to a meet for that matter. I know that's just asking for trouble.

I'd just like to know what, as a police officer, you guys prefer(?), in the event of a traffic stop? Do you even WANT to know if someone you stopped for a minor violation has a firearm in the car... in EITHER scenario.

Thanks in advance guys.
Rob W.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Subie_sleeper
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5775

My Ride:

I received a PM from a forum member listin all the state codes pertaining to my questions.

Not worried about transporting illegally anymore.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
the_204
[TST] Police Officer

Member #19924

My Ride:
2004 Infiniti G35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie_sleeper View Post
I recently purchased a S&W Governor revolver.

I'd like to know the proper proceedure for transporting it.

(The staff at the Army/Navy Store in Whitehall Pa. were pretty vague)

If you don't have a permit to carry, I'm almost positive that it needs to un-loaded, in the trunk with any ammo locked in the glove box.....

If you DO have a permit to carry,(I applied for one) is it legal to have the gun & ammo locked in the glove box? Loaded, un-loaded?

I don't plan to drive around with a loaded gun every time I'm going to the store, or to a meet for that matter. I know that's just asking for trouble.

I'd just like to know what, as a police officer, you guys prefer(?), in the event of a traffic stop? Do you even WANT to know if someone you stopped for a minor violation has a firearm in the car... in EITHER scenario.

Thanks in advance guys.
Rob W.
It is true to have the ammo and the firearm separate with no permit. Once a permit is granted to you and in your possesion then you can ride with it loaded and on your person or loaded in the glovebox. Thats your choice. Also if you were to get pulled over, the first thing you better announce that there is a firearm in the vehicle. That is with or without a permit.

As far as when you drive around with it, Thats up to you also. Thats not asking for trouble. Thats your priveledge with a permit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

The_204
the_204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Subie_sleeper
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5775

My Ride:

Thanks for the reply.

I'd like to ask one quick clarifying question.

Is it REQUIRED by law to state that I have a firearm on me during a traffic stop, when I have a carry permit?

I have every intention of doing so in the event, but the PM I received from another TST member (with specific quotes from PA code) pretty much states the exact opposite.

Again, I'd inform an officer out of courtesy, one way or the other. I'd just like to know if it's required by law.

Thank you,
Rob.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
the_204
[TST] Police Officer

Member #19924

My Ride:
2004 Infiniti G35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie_sleeper View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I'd like to ask one quick clarifying question.

Is it REQUIRED by law to state that I have a firearm on me during a traffic stop, when I have a carry permit?

I have every intention of doing so in the event, but the PM I received from another TST member (with specific quotes from PA code) pretty much states the exact opposite.

Again, I'd inform an officer out of courtesy, one way or the other. I'd just like to know if it's required by law.

Thank you,
Rob.
I'll inform you the same way I did him. Each County will give you what it requires as far as Carrying the weapon when you receive the permit. Delaware county we are required to inform the officer. Its not just for our safety, its for yours too. I work in Chester City and the last thing I want to observe is a firearm within your reach and you not say anything with all of the shooting and stuff we got going on here. That would be very dangerous for you as well as myself so your best bet is to just inform an officer of your weapon. Also if you take a gun safety class most instructors will tell you the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

The_204
the_204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Subie_sleeper
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5775

My Ride:

I grew up in Delco.
I don't imagine Chester has gotten any BETTER since I moved away.
So I understand completely where you're coming from.