TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
DocWalt's 2017 GT350

I picked this up used last week (woo, somebody else taking the depreciation hit!) and so far I'm pretty happy with it. It came with an aftermarket set of wheels installed and the OEM wheels in boxes. Additionally, the engine was recently replaced even though the car had only 2700 miles. I don't know what happened to the old one, but it was apparently not due to abuse since Ford replaced it under warranty.

DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I ordered a set of RE-71R's and had my brother throw them on the wheels for me last minute on Saturday so I could go autocross the new car on Sunday. I won A Street (meh) but PAX results were reasonably solid considering my driving was pretty mediocre.

First run out my plan was to run track mode with whatever nannies. The nannies were pretty intrusive, so my second run was supposed to be with all the nannies off... I stupidly turned them off THEN put it in track mode which partially enabled them again. My third run I had them all off until the first corner where they magically turned themselves back on for no apparent reason (maybe ice mode and it freaked out?) so that was a wasted run. Fourth run everything was off and stayed off. The car seems to have great balance, maybe a bit of understeer. It puts down power surprisingly well!

305s versus 215s (my car & my dad's FiST)

Class winner, woo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBL89o37-08
Old 07-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

dang this is cool. what are plans for the RS?

edit: saw you sold it. this is certainly quite the upgrade!
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Upgraded!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:08 PM   #5
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Thanks guys!

I went out and whipped around like an ass to celebrate the fourth The noises this thing makes when you crack off a heel-toe downshift at high RPM... I couldn't stop giggling. It sounds exactly like what I picture when I imagine a high revving racecar banging down the gears on a race track. I'll have to get some audio clips, but they won't capture the insanity of 5.2L revving like that
Old 07-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #6
Seven
Tri-State Addict

Member #2078

My Ride:
17 Camaro 1LE || 17 Yamaha FZ10

Regarding the engine replacement ... (my friend who has a B302 and is ordering a GT350 shortly posted this)...

Regardless, a fine upgrade.... They're so damn sexy looking and sounding!
Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #7
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Regarding the engine replacement ... (my friend who has a B302 and is ordering a GT350 shortly posted this)...

Regardless, a fine upgrade.... They're so damn sexy looking and sounding!
Haha, yeah... They're known to consume oil and I assume the PO didn't realize it ran low and chunked the engine. The sales guys told me the piston skirt punched a hole in the head and I struggled to avoid facepalming.

The firey track thing... Yeah, not fixed. The DIY fix is to put a worm clamp on the oil filter so the worm area will hit the oil filter housing to prevent it from backing off. Ford's fix was to send a custom (VIN engraved) oil filter wrench to owners so they'd actually torque the filter instead of just assuming it was tight.

Thanks man, it's so damn enjoyable. I can see why modern pony cars are so popular
Old 07-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #8
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

That's awesome

Yeah, these modern cars have quickly become world class sports cars in one generation. They're also nice to be in too. Great time to be a car enthusiast.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Even driving to work every day has been enjoyable so far. The twin disc clutch is easy to drive and no funny noises from it. With the windows up and the exhaust in "normal" mode it's effectively just a regular old Mustang that makes a weird sounding exhaust noise.

However, the RE-71R's are 1/2" shorter than the stock tires so the splitter does scrape here and there. I need to make some rub blocks for it so it doesn't get chewed up too badly. Also, the shorter tires made for some pretty slow driving on the turnpike because the speedo said 78 and I was doing 71 or so, lol. I'll have to look at a GPS speedo next time.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #10
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

I've seen a few of these and it makes me want one, or a mustang in general. Every time I sit behind the wheel of one though, that goes away.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #11
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

While the Mustang is no fancy luxury car, they're a LOT better than they used to be. Still plenty of hard touch plastics (which is fine, the cheesy soft touch crap used in modern cars falls apart anyway) and a few weird noises... but as a whole I don't mind it.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #12
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

I agree with you, but after slowly getting into nicer and nicer interiors it'll be hard to go back to the plastic.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #13
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
I agree with you, but after slowly getting into nicer and nicer interiors it'll be hard to go back to the plastic.
I'd say that the Mustang is on par (some things nicer, some things worse) with the Japanese sports car realm in terms of interior quality/materials these days. The Z cars are probably worse in materials than the newest American offerings too. It's a nice medium to hit compared to the plastic fantastic 1990's, but it's definitely not going to be an S-class inside.

The GTI is great for its price range and I'd rank it a little bit ahead of the A3 in terms of interior design (especially the seats and doors), but aside from storage it's in the same ballpark as the 2SS level with alcantara and use of leather, stitching, etc. Some slight build quality nibbles here and there, but as a longtime import/German car guy, I really have to give credit where it is due on the latest gen American vehicles. They've hit warp speed in a very short amount of time.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #14
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
I'd say that the Mustang is on par (some things nicer, some things worse) with the Japanese sports car realm in terms of interior quality/materials these days. The Z cars are probably worse in materials than the newest American offerings too. It's a nice medium to hit compared to the plastic fantastic 1990's, but it's definitely not going to be an S-class inside.

The GTI is great for its price range and I'd rank it a little bit ahead of the A3 in terms of interior design (especially the seats and doors), but aside from storage it's in the same ballpark as the 2SS level with alcantara and use of leather, stitching, etc. Some slight build quality nibbles here and there, but as a longtime import/German car guy, I really have to give credit where it is due on the latest gen American vehicles. They've hit warp speed in a very short amount of time.
That's a good thing. Too long have people payed $40k for plastic in their vehicles. I'm not saying interior is everything, but you do spend a good amount of time inside it. Now if the camaro could stop being so ugly I'd buy one.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #15
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
That's a good thing. Too long have people payed $40k for plastic in their vehicles. I'm not saying interior is everything, but you do spend a good amount of time inside it. Now if the camaro could stop being so ugly I'd buy one.
Yeah, I get that after owning an Evo X and going into an M3. There's definitely a median between those extremes where $40k gets you safely. With the average transaction price of new cars cresting over $30k these days, expectations need to be reset a little bit.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-07-2017, 09:33 AM   #16
ambitiousCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14943

My Ride:
2018 Pacifica Limited, 1995 F150, 2015 Hyundai Accent Sport, 06 Corvette Z06

Damn. I gotta come on here more often lol. i want a ride!

*CK*
ambitiousCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #17
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Haha, any time dude. Come to an autocross and I'll actually be able to open it up... Way too fast to rev it out on the street. I don't know how people own cars faster than this and drive them exclusively on the street. Revving out 2nd is a trip to jail on anything but a highway, lol
Old 07-07-2017, 01:01 PM   #18
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Yeah, I get that after owning an Evo X and going into an M3. There's definitely a median between those extremes where $40k gets you safely. With the average transaction price of new cars cresting over $30k these days, expectations need to be reset a little bit.
This is why I miss this forum being active. People having a discussion without just calling each other fukbois and ****.

I totally agree with the reset too. I went from an Evo X to the GTI and honestly the GTI interior was the biggest selling point for me over the other cars I cross shopped.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #19
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

The Evo X had plastic sandpaper waterfall for a dashboard... I don't miss that AT ALL. I'll miss the RS.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:57 PM   #20
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
This is why I miss this forum being active. People having a discussion without just calling each other fukbois and ****.

I totally agree with the reset too. I went from an Evo X to the GTI and honestly the GTI interior was the biggest selling point for me over the other cars I cross shopped.
Says the guy that called my car ugly

Back to the GT350...

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 07-07-2017 at 04:44 PM.