TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #181
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

So I finally got out autocrossing the car this sunday. Even though most of the east coast was getting downpours nanticoke PA was hot as hell, sunny, and humid. The other CSP miata in the NEPA region was broke so I offered him a codrive, and he took it.

We each made 9 runs, he ended up faster than me. He was 12th pax, i was 16th, 5th and 8th raw. The course was miata friendly accept for the start which was an ~1/8th mile drag. We compared or drag time to me friends SM 240 and we were .5 sec behind by the end of the start straight. Without that straight we would have easily been the fastest car there, including PAX.

Ive mentioned it before but I really need to reduce caster (modify bushings). My codriver thought I had a depowered rack with how heavy the steering is. It actually made it difficult to steer into/out of the final slow speed turn. It was also the first time I had to much heat in the tires. Codriver with ~35 driver heats will do that. The car did not skip a beat and was 100% reliable.

Im not sure if I can post FB videos but I will try. My codrivers best drive:
https://www.facebook.com/cody.gromel...7017485997502/

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:28 PM   #182
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Nice. Car looks like a blast!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #183
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Apparently my mom snapped some pics last autox. She needs a better camera

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 08-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #184
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

ugh, i need a miata
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:10 PM   #185
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Started to fix my caster problem in the front end. Essentially need to counterbore a bushing more to allow for more movement.

I felt needed. At the last event it really felt like I had a corner jacking problem from the large amount of caster I had. I'm hoping to test them this weekend.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 08-21-2018, 09:48 PM   #186
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Ah... SP life

Where are you running this weekend?
Old 08-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #187
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Ah... SP life

Where are you running this weekend?
PCA is at Pocono which I would really like to do. NEPA is at luzerne community college and my fellow CSP competitor in the region has his car running. So they are both tempting. I could only do sunday, even that would be tough with my schedule. So at the moment I'm undecided.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 08-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #188
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Ended up going to LCCC for the NEPA autocross. Was the 3rd fastest car, 16th in PAX out of 69 cars. The changes to the front geometry were making the car understeer pretty badly and I was battling that all day. The steering effort was much improved. By the end of the day the front shocks were full soft and the rears were full hard. Made it better but still not great. It also seemed to be wearing/heating the outside of the front tires badly.

Checked the front alignment afterward, ~6 caster and 3 deg camber.

I have been running ~1/16" toe in, in the rear. I am going to zero that out and see what it gets me. I also am going to increase the front camber. The front tires are very close to cording on the outside edge. Hopefully that loosens the car up a bit. Pocono on the 15th and 16th will probably be my last event for the year. Hopefully the tires make it.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 08-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #189
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Flip them on the wheels if you haven't already!
Old 08-31-2018, 04:33 PM   #190
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Flip them on the wheels if you haven't already!
Already flipped. I found my problem trying to change the alignment. Turns out my front wheel bearings are shot (pretty bad). In hindsight I should have changed them a while ago, like the end of last season. They are a maintenance item on a miata with grippy tires.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 08-31-2018, 05:38 PM   #191
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Wow. That should improve a lot of things
Old 09-06-2018, 08:38 AM   #192
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

The more I thought about it I remembered I changed wheel bearings beginning of the season. So these didn't last a whole season ~150ish runs haha.

Bad Miata Bearing

Changed out fronts last night in ~25 minutes. At least they are easy.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 09-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #193
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Wow, that's pretty short life span. Did you buy the spec miata style hubs and rebuild them like they do or just off the shelf units and swap them often-ish?
Old 09-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #194
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Wow, that's pretty short life span. Did you buy the spec miata style hubs and rebuild them like they do or just off the shelf units and swap them often-ish?
Yeah my thought was to buy the cheap ones off the shelf and replace often. If that's the normal schedule I may buy the spec miata ones

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 09-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #195
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Drove the car at pocono this weekend. The car felt completely different. Turn in was so intimidate I was turning into cones. The caster change plus the new wheel bearings made a huge difference in the way the car drives. Sad thing is my tires corded pretty bad and I kept fighting mid-corner understeer. O well, this will be my last event for the year so it was a good time to have the tires cord. My wife and I are expecting or first baby early October so my car time will be very limited for a while.

But its time to start planning for next year. I think a friend of mine will be codriving with me so, I will have help maintaining/improving the car. Things on the list:

Fit 295/35-15 hohos
Get the ITBs on
Tune for E85
Get a data acquisition system (solostorm or something)
Rear helper springs. The car will lift an inside rear.
build better areo

I'm sure ill think of more.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 09-18-2018, 09:14 AM   #196
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Congrats on the incoming baby!

I'm curious if the 295s are worth the pain. There's a "rumor" going around that they're not really worth it, with the extra cost and hassle to fit them plus the extra weight and wider track being detractors over the MOAR RUBBER positives.

Data logger is super useful with a codriver. By yourself you need to be willing to sacrifice some runs here and there to just try things and figure out if something might work better than what you're doing already.

Excited to see how your build progresses!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #197
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Congrats on the incoming baby!

I'm curious if the 295s are worth the pain. There's a "rumor" going around that they're not really worth it, with the extra cost and hassle to fit them plus the extra weight and wider track being detractors over the MOAR RUBBER positives.

Data logger is super useful with a codriver. By yourself you need to be willing to sacrifice some runs here and there to just try things and figure out if something might work better than what you're doing already.

Excited to see how your build progresses!
Yeah Billy Davis was telling me about the 295 and the debate of their worthiness at fingerlakes. While I understand he knows far mare than me, it didn't sound like they did an extensive amount of testing and the results sounded subjective. Meaning, they looked at the tire and it seemed to not be using the whole width. I haven't really looked for other info so if its out there I haven't read it.

At this point, I need tires and have already done the work to make them fit so why not I guess. Other than some extra weight and width.

Shot tire

Images from the weekend

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 09-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #198
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I am very curious to see your testing, for exactly that reason. Not sure they optimized the setup for 295 instead of the 275. They may have needed less camber to get the tire to work fully or something.

The interior pic is neat
Old 09-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #199
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
dang, thats a lotta tire for that car... do you ever actually lose grip out on the track? trying to stick to the ceiling?

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:49 AM   #200
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
dang, thats a lotta tire for that car... do you ever actually lose grip out on the track? trying to stick to the ceiling?
You can never have enough tire! It is always possible to to lose grip but the amount of grip is pretty incredible.

My biggest problem is getting heat in them.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-