TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #141
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

When all else falls a big hammer helps.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #142
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Still waiting on spacers, but here she is.

IMG_2203 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_2187 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_2177 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_2191 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_2185 by Pat, on Flickr
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #143
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Touareg and Jeep are both sweet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #144
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

That thing is beefy.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #145
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

DO you have air suspension? If so is it in offroad mode? Looks pretty cool none the less.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #146
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
DO you have air suspension? If so is it in offroad mode? Looks pretty cool none the less.
It is on air. Effectively it's equivalent to off-road mode, but I adjusted the suspension via VCDS/VAG-Com to be 1.5" higher in normal auto mode.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:00 AM   #147
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
Touareg and Jeep are both sweet!
Thanks. The Jeep is badass. It's essentially stock height but with 35s on it. I think he has small coil spacers on it, maybe 1.5"? Two of our friends have a small, part-time, Jeep-centric fab shop and they did a ton of work on that thing. They made all new high-line fenders, corner armor, sliders, tailgate retrofit, etc. I have more pictures on my flickr if interested, and he has a huge flickr album with all of the details from stock to finished product. It's honestly a work of art and that Inca Gold color, which is stupid rare apparently, is really striking in person.

Last edited by mckpat03; 09-25-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #148
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
It is on air. Effectively it's equivalent to off-road mode, but I adjusted the suspension via VCDS/VAG-Com to be 1.5" higher in normal auto mode.
I was wondering if that was possible. Pretty cool. I remember thinking it would cool to put big tires on and leave it elevated. Its like a built in lift kit.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 01-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #149
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

I sold the R32 and the Touareg. I have been focusing on my finances since about Q3 of last year and I had to make a change. Fuel costs, insurance, car payments, etc were killing me because I'm irresponsible AF and historically would typically operate as thin as possible. The R32 went to my brother after his quite rare Arctic White B6 S4 succumbed to a deer. So I still sort of get to enjoy the R32 and help work on it/troubleshoot it. The Touareg went to another enthusiast out in Ohio.

Also, I'm driving to Florida this month for the Rolex 24 Hour at Daytona, so I really needed to consider a more rational vehicle.

Flickr isn't working right now, but I picked up a 2015 Jetta TDI 6MT. An econobox that I'm mostly familiar with that is reliable, gets good fuel mileage, and is reasonably comfortable and spacious for daily driving and trips. Furthermore, the price was right and it already has everything done that I would have done anyway. Malone stage 2 tune, downpipe and everything, lowering springs, BBS RX wheels (from a Boxster I think), and window tint. I'll add pictures when I can.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #150
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Nothing wrong with getting your finances right.

Does a tune make much of a difference on those cars?

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 01-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #151
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:

This adulting stuff can suck but you'll thank yourself in a few years.

/
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #152
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Quote:

Does a tune make much of a difference on those cars?
Yeah, just a tune with nothing else picks up almost 40hp/70tq at the wheels, and usually picks up a bit of fuel economy. This has a DPF delete and stuff, so it's likely more power, and a healthy bump in fuel economy. The fuel economy isn't as good as I had hoped yet, although I've had a roof rack on it and winter sucks for fuel economy in these.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #153
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Flickr limited their free accounts to 1,000 photos on Jan 8. If you didn't clean your page out before then, 'supposedly' they cleaned it for you. As salty as I was, I upgraded to pro for 30% off for the first year.

Congrats on the car cleanse! It's good for all of us once in a while.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #154
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Yeah, I upgraded to Pro as well for a discount. I couldn't work with that 1,000 limit.

Here a pic. The car came with two extra BBSes, too, so I bought a tire for a full size spare for the Daytona trip.

IMG_3101 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_5812 by Pat, on Flickr

Last edited by mckpat03; 01-11-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #155
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Warning, wall of text. Just wanted to write down some thoughts and updates. These member journals are honestly kind of therapeutic. I also haven't been pulling my weight as far as staying active here and keeping forums alive, despite visiting and reading every single day at work.

Regarding the Jetta, I recently found that I can buy more matching BBSes off of ebay for VERY cheap. Sooo, I'll probably end up with two matching sets of these wheels, summer and winter setups. They're from the front of first gen Boxsters (which I didn't really know) and they're 17x7 et55 (which is obviously cast into the back of the wheel). Authentic, lightweight, albeit narrow, BBSes for dirt cheap? Yes, please.

Furthermore, my Daytona trip went extremely well. Seeing a race like the Rolex 24 in person was just so unbelievable. The car did awesome. I missed having a modern TDI so much; the combo of the torque and economy just does it for me, honestly. Some friends and I have a trip to Deals Gap planned for the middle of May and I couldn't be more excited to get this thing back on a long trip. I'm debating on maybe swapping the tires out for summers (currently all seasons and I want a dedicated winter setup) and maybe some new stock motor mounts. The mounts are a little loosey goosey from 35k miles of a high torque tune. I did put a dogbone insert in to help crisp up the shifts a little.

Other than that, saving money and not living paycheck to paycheck is going well and I'm feeling a lot more comfortable in that regard, which is the main goal here still. I paid off my smallest school loan two years in advance, which is nice, not a huge debt, but it's a start. Now to work on paying off other debts and maybe putting some money and attention toward upgrading some things in my house a bit for the first time since I put new heat in it three or four years ago.

Lastly, my brother, who bought the R32, has it running pretty well tip-top now. He ended up replacing all six injectors after we had both aimlessly chased misfires for months. He had the first set cleaned/tested and the shop and my brother both agreed that the o-rings were kind of shot and the injectors just kind of beat up and old. It's a nightmare environment for the injectors because VW/Audi tuners always run them at the ragged edge of duty cycle. It has a "550cc injector" tune on it, essentially, and we're trying to make 450+whp. He's been beating the piss out of it pretty well lately and it's been doing good, not misfiring up top, and generally being a pretty good car. However, he has also found that it's out of fuel pump above 16psi (aftermarket, supposedly 265lph, in-tank), when the AFR starts to take a dive, so he's got it running pretty consistently at 15-16lbs. We have a MKIV R32 return-style fuel rail, so that and an in-line pump would let it easily and totally max out the 550 injectors and make upwards of 500 wheel (whp numbers are front wheel [VW tuners have historically always had 2WD dynos] and strictly speculation based on all of these setups typically being exactly the same). Most importantly we want to see if we can get it to trap half decently this season (I would love to see 115-117 in the 1/4).

PS: I'm totally a child that refuses to grow up and bought a new BMX bike and skateboard this winter for cheap.

PPS: On Jan 1, I started a 365/photo a day project for the first time. It's proved quite challenging for me, honestly. But, it's keeping my camera in my hand which is the goal, I guess.

Last edited by mckpat03; 03-28-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:47 PM   #156
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Pictures from the Daytona trip:
IMG_3270 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_3272 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_3276 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_3283 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_3285 by Pat, on Flickr
Old 03-28-2019, 04:42 PM   #157
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

Good updates man. Picking the right thing versus the thing you love (cars) is hard. That's why my MK7 is still stock even though I've had it for 3 years now.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:24 AM   #158
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Quick update on my old R32 that my brother now owns. As previously stated, he's got it pretty well sorted out now. A whole bunch of us went to the track yesterday to try to hit some new PRs. My brother ran the R32, tried out some various boost and launch control level combinations. He ended up running it on 17-18lbs and a 5,000rpm launch, I think. Keep in mind the car weighs 3500lbs, maybe 3450 with some more stuff that he took out of it before hitting the track yesterday. No idea on power level, I can speculate all day based on the exact same setup in other cars, but it's pointless. We'll let the time slips do the talking. He ended up with a best pass of 11.92@117, which I am absolutely ecstatic about. 115+ is all I wanted to see, honestly, and it did it with ease.

60287348_10100853387641842_8405960917711323136_o by Pat, on Flickr
60307934_10100853387621882_5528607977881206784_o by Pat, on Flickr
60348078_10100853388569982_5475832944461348864_o by Pat, on Flickr
Old 05-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #159
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

I know nothing about VWs- I am shocked, that thing rips!
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #160
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Yeah, it works good for what it is and the stupid setup that you're essentially forced to run. It has a head spacer on it, which is fine, IMO, to drop the static CR from 10.85:1 to 8.5:1. The stupid part of the setup is the fueling/tuning. It has little dinky 550cc injectors running at 800% duty cycle. Now, the tune is absolutely incredible but it's so dumb that you have to stick with a MAF rather than speed density. You really can't do speed density unless you do a standalone ECU. It has an aftermarket in-tank fuel pump currently, but it starts to run out of fuel around from 16-20lbs depending on conditions.

So, yesterday my brother started pulling things apart already haha and is swapping on a return-style fuel rail from an 04 R32 and probably putting an inline pump in. With the new fuel setup it'll have no problem running 23-25lbs of boost, but the injectors will obviously be out of fuel. Again, it's sucks and is so dumb that you're stuck to certain injector size tunes. So, there's a few guys that will run this setup and bandaid it with meth to run 23-25lbs of boost temporarily. The proper way to do it is to go to the next step up in injector size tune, but that requires swapping over to a ProMAF, new injectors, and new tune, which ends up costing a significant amount of money. And then regardless of your tune and fuel setup, you're on borrowed time with the rods and pistons above 20lbs.

EDIT: Oh, and, that's an authentic 1906 Stanley behind the R32 that my neighbor owns. It's his "race car" steamer, as it has his own in-house custom boiler and engine setup. I should probably make a thread about all of the wild **** my eccentric steamer-guru neighbor has going on. More on that another time.

Last edited by mckpat03; 05-13-2019 at 08:28 AM.