TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
d16hatch
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13671

My Ride:
1998 Honda Prelude

Send a message via AIM to d16hatch
Engagement Rings

Hey all,

I am looking to pop the question this Fall/Winter. How much is too much to spend on a ring? The ring/set that I really want to get:
http://www.jewelryexchange.com/Weddi...te-Gold_pi4739

I love the design of the ring. I would get somewhere around a 1ct diamond for the center, so I'll probably be looking at ~6-7k if I went with jewelry exchange. Anyone know of any other good places to get engagement rings? I would like to spend 5-6k, but I guess I could go 6-7 haha.

Any suggestions?

'97 Prelude- wrecked and FS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
d16hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
Elliott18t
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9456

My Ride:
03 GTI w/ F4h-T 250-260hp goal

Send a message via AIM to Elliott18t
I got my GFs ring at nahoku it wasn't too expensive but looks beautiful.

This but white gold. (picture does not do it justice.)

she isn't into a big old diamond anyways (luckily for me i guess)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

TST's Dub Cult
Elliott18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
d16hatch
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13671

My Ride:
1998 Honda Prelude

yeah my girlfriend doesn't want me to spend 5k on it, she thinks that is too much haha. She would say yes if i gave her a ring from walmart. But I really like some of the rings at jewelry exchange.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:00 AM   #4
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
My cousin has a $10k ring, not because shes stuck up and wanted it (like many girls i see around today) but because her husband could afford it. We all think it was way over the top but if you got it and it didn't affect anything then whatever. I personally rather put the money towards the wedding, a house, appliances, etc etc etc.

It all comes down to what you have to spend and can comfortably do. I really don't want to put out much when the time comes because i feel like it can be spent better elsewhere. It's also nice having a gf i know i can get away with that at. I have some friends who are already whipped into paying $10k++++ on a ring or it won't be good enough.

Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

I don't know your situation, but this is how I think. It isn't about how much you should spend... it is about what you can afford. If you have to put it on credit, you can't afford it. Same thing for the wedding stuff. No point starting your 'new' life together with financial burdons.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
angdefeo
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14238

My Ride:
09 WRX STi, 10 Evo X

I don't know where you live but 3 of my close friends have bought engagement rings at Marche Jewlers on the white horse pike near Nicholson Road. They got certified diamonds with the highest rating.

The important thing no matter where you buy the ring and stone is to get a certified diamond. A certified stone comes with the certificate from the rating agency. Dont spend extra money on getting a "non blood" diamond. Blood diamonds cannot distinguished from non so don't pay extra. Becareful and take your time. Buying the ring shouldn't feel like buying a used car from a shady salesman. You can also checkout bluenile.com for diamond prices.
angdefeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
httrdd
Tri-State Addict

Member #15277

My Ride:
99 Black Legacy GT H6

I think spending $5,000+ is rediculos (unless you have it and more). I would rather spend that money on a house deposits, appliances, money toward the wedding, food and car mode. ;) who am I to say anythng I have been with the same girl and have a kid with her and still have not popped the question. Well its only been 6 years. Lol.
httrdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
d16hatch
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13671

My Ride:
1998 Honda Prelude

Yeah I have a few friends that spend 10k+ on a ring, but I can't afford that so I'm not going to do it (at least not while I'm paying off 75k of student loans). I have a bank account especially for the ring and I can afford 5-6k. Her parents are paying for our wedding and the honeymoon so I don't have to worry about that.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
WRXD
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1156

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

+1 for www.bluenile.com

no B&M store can touch their prices on loose stones. They can build you a ring or just sell the loose stone and you can take it local.

Def. get it certified, mainly so it can be accurately insured if stolen.

Go smaller on the carat and higher quality on the rest-- it will look better and appear larger.

Last edited by WRXD; 08-29-2011 at 08:59 AM.
WRXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
jen.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7345

My Ride:
'07 si coupe!

Send a message via AIM to jen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonTsi97 View Post
I have some friends who are already whipped into paying $10k++++ on a ring or it won't be good enough.
I don't think I know anyone who has spent that much on a ring! Crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
I don't know your situation, but this is how I think. It isn't about how much you should spend... it is about what you can afford. If you have to put it on credit, you can't afford it. Same thing for the wedding stuff. No point starting your 'new' life together with financial burdons.
This is basically what I was going to say. There's no way to say what you should or shouldn't spend--you know your finances best and what is affordable for you.

Plus, she won't care what the ring costs, just that you're the one giving it to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXD View Post

Def. get it certified, mainly so it can be accurately insured if stolen.

Go smaller on the carat and higher quality on the rest-- it will look better and appear larger.
I agree with this also, certification & insurance are important. Quality and cut can both make a huge difference on the appearance of the diamond as well.
jen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
shar
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #19386

whyy is this not a complete surprise?? I didnt have a say on my ring, and I loveeee it, I also didnt know I was getting engaged... seems like you have the whole wedding figured out before she even said yes lol...

BUT the ring you showed is gorgeous, and if you have been planning and its in your budget then go for it! Make sure its insured and that they offer life time coverage, white gold is a very soft gold. Good luck!!
shar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
KustomZ03
Tri-State Addict

Member #7473

My Ride:
[Cobalt SS/SC][xD][Wrangler]

Send a message via AIM to KustomZ03
Like other people said...if you have to finance it you spent too much. Don't want to start 'the rest of your lives' in debt.
KustomZ03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #13
Subie_sleeper
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5775

My Ride:
'06 Subaru Baja Turbo. Cash consuming vortex from HELL

Check this out.

Sterling silver. My wife & I each started wearing one when we got engaged. $50.00 for each of them.

Yet the two rings are worth more to us than any chunk of compressed coal.

I got her a nice white gold wedding band that is made up of small infinity signs with 1 carat total weight of diamonds placed in the loops.

Mine is tungsten carbide.

I'm not suggesting that YOUR soon to be fiancée is like this..... Just a statement.

ANY woman who would put pressure on a man to get her an expensive ring for bragging rights.... or to try and equate your love with the amount of money you spent on it/her...... is NOT worth marrying.

If you WANT to go overboard for her then that's a totally different story. ;)
Old 08-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
d16hatch
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13671

My Ride:
1998 Honda Prelude

She has already told me she would say yes to a ring I got at walmart made of cubic zirconium. If I spent anywhere near 10k she said she wouldn't wear it and would make me take it back haha. I have the money to buy a ring that is 5-6k and want to spend that much on it (including the wedding band).

to shar...

It isn't a surprise for many reasons, mainly because of the circumstances and planning/decisions involved. Don't worry how and exactly when I'll ask is still a surprise haha.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #15
shar
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #19386

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16hatch View Post

to shar...

It isn't a surprise for many reasons, mainly because of the circumstances and planning/decisions involved. Don't worry how and exactly when I'll ask is still a surprise haha.
thats the best part!! goood luck!!! and be ready the engagement part flies by and before you know the wedding is over... so remember to take it alll in!
shar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #16
Marina
Noob-Jersey

Member #13093

My Ride:
BMW 330xi

I think the norm is 2 months salary, but go with what you can afford.

Avoid magic sizes (1ct.), a diamond that is just under 1ct will cost less and the size difference between .9 and 1ct will not be noticeable.

Cut is the most important, after that color and clarity; get a certified diamond, GIA or AGS labs.

From online retailers, www.whiteflash.com gets my vote.

Good luck!
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #17
KustomZ03
Tri-State Addict

Member #7473

My Ride:
[Cobalt SS/SC][xD][Wrangler]

Send a message via AIM to KustomZ03
Quote:
Originally Posted by d16hatch View Post
She has already told me she would say yes to a ring I got at walmart made of cubic zirconium. If I spent anywhere near 10k she said she wouldn't wear it and would make me take it back haha. I have the money to buy a ring that is 5-6k and want to spend that much on it (including the wedding band).

to shar...

Make sure shes is ok with you buying the band too. We had many convos about rings and such through the years and I knew I wanted to buy the bands since he obviously bought the engagement ring. I liked the idea of us both contributing.
KustomZ03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #18
jesus_ralliart
Tri-State Addict

Member #15649

My Ride:
05 neon

they used to say a month's pay is what you should spend. that went out the door....

my very good friend who recently broke up with his cheating gf was in a sticky spot up until they broke up. She wanted a ring for 15k and said she wouldnt marry him if he didnt buy it for her

so, this decision is up to you. I'd also check out ebay, I know that ive seen rings on there that ppl sell for dirt cheap. As long as your bride to be doesn't mind wearing a ring that was on another woman's finger.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #19
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
Just an FYI gold and diamond prices are higher than ever.

just buy within your means

Last edited by igo4bmx; 08-30-2011 at 05:04 PM.
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
cmr076
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2319

My Ride:
S4

Send a message via AIM to cmr076
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_ralliart View Post
I'd also check out ebay, I know that ive seen rings on there that ppl sell for dirt cheap. As long as your bride to be doesn't mind wearing a ring that was on another woman's finger.
haha i literally laughed out loud imagining my womans reaction to a "used" engagement ring
cmr076 is offline   Reply With Quote