TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Racing
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
GmFwd
Tri-State Addict

Member #7981

My Ride:
S15 DD, srt4 drift missile

What kind of racing is this? (possible noob question)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPTSN...eature=related

What kind of racing is that considered? Its like auto x but no clock and you race someone else.

Plus its really well rounded IMO. A good strip to launch and get some speed, tight corners, and a sweet little "stop" box at the end.

Does this happen anywhere local? It looks so fun.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

There is no name for it in particular that Im aware of - it looks like competitive gymkhana
Old 02-08-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
sweet... thats how we used to ice race in colorado...

it was actually a symmetrical loop though and you started on opposite ends... you did a full lap and whoever got back to their starting point first won, and it was just based on single elimination. kinda neat... courses were pretty simple but it couldnt be crazy like an auto-x cause we were on sheer ice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 02-08-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
Looks like fun, but if the cars were faster it would def get scary if one spun out or something.

Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #5
Spocknasty
Meh

Member #986

That looks fun.

I <3 JSC Speed and Liquid Powder Coats!
Old 02-08-2010, 02:08 AM   #6
GmFwd
Tri-State Addict

Member #7981

My Ride:
S15 DD, srt4 drift missile

Would anyone be interested in trying to set something like this up? I would be down to provide some time in planning or calling around. There is not much more work to make this happen than a normal auto x, maybe just need more space to keep it safe.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:20 AM   #7
05suby
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5738

My Ride:
2005 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
sweet... thats how we used to ice race in colorado...

it was actually a symmetrical loop though and you started on opposite ends... you did a full lap and whoever got back to their starting point first won, and it was just based on single elimination. kinda neat... courses were pretty simple but it couldnt be crazy like an auto-x cause we were on sheer ice!
bryan that sounds awesome. i would love to do that.
WFCrew #231
Form > Function
Static > Bagged

....GO
R.I.P. Sherwood "No Home"
Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
nissamax
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9190

My Ride:
Magic Carpet

Send a message via AIM to nissamax
Girly car with bling bling yo wheels lol. looks like fun

Old 02-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
crazysaywhat
Tri-State Addict

Member #13153

My Ride:
THE camo vert, gsxr1000, accord...

Send a message via AIM to crazysaywhat
i would be down to do somethin like that...

Quote:
LOLOL
Better be a household name. / Weatherman telling us it ain't gon' rain. / So now we sitting in a drop-top, soaking wet / In a silk suit trying not to sweat. ...
Old 02-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

that course looks to be about as much fun as a dead hooker
Old 02-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:
'98 240sx, 98 Impreza L, 00 SV650

Send a message via AIM to 420sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
that course looks to be about as much fun as a dead hooker
Mmm.. my kinda party.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #12
lownslow95
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #276

My Ride:
2011 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocknasty View Post
That looks fun.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

And on the ice racing we did just to explain more, if someone was super slow or messed up then the other car would catch up to them... the car catching up would just slow down and keep a safe distance and just pretty much get the win. They had 3 tracks going all at once on the lake, which was really really big.
I actually think we did 2 laps, not just one. I know I have a ton of photos somewhere, it was sweet. I'll see if I can find a vid online of it...

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 02-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmFwd View Post
Would anyone be interested in trying to set something like this up? I would be down to provide some time in planning or calling around. There is not much more work to make this happen than a normal auto x, maybe just need more space to keep it safe.
I've seen similar setups at divisional SCCA events. Its easier to go to one of them then go through the hassle of setting it up yourself.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #15
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

It looks slow cause it is, haha... at 10 mph you're sliding all over the place! I think on the 'fast' track I might have hit about 20 mph max which was a long wide slide down about half of the course...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK2-d...eature=related

Here are the monsters though... on cheater slicks with 2" spikes in the tires... "ebrake" is triggers one front wheel or the other to use as a pivot point... pretty badass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ZaU...eature=related

|

Quote:

|

Last edited by TROLL; 02-08-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:10 AM   #16
05suby
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5738

My Ride:
2005 WRX

thats looks like fun
WFCrew #231
Form > Function
Static > Bagged

....GO
R.I.P. Sherwood "No Home"
Old 02-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #17
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

In the US this kind of event is called Pro-Solo. Currently, the closest event of this kind to our region is held in Washington, DC. It is the most fun I've ever had autocrossing. Christmas tree drag race starts and the two courses are similar, but not identical. You add your best time from the left side to your best time from the right for a total overall time. It is extremely competitive and quite difficult, but man is it fun.

The most exciting part are the Challenge events at the end of the weekend (Pros are two-day events). During normal competition you are running against other cars in your class (same classes as regular Solo2 autocross). The best competitors from each class are then put into a bracket and you race against cars from other classes. Tree starts are staggered so if you are in a 120hp Mini that ran a best time of 45.120 and I'm in a Vette that ran a 44.820 you will get a .3s head start...you run both side and the overall winner advances. So much fun to compete in and watch.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #18
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmFwd View Post
There is not much more work to make this happen than a normal auto x, maybe just need more space to keep it safe.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you've never been involved in planning a normal autox? The SCCA has teams of people contacting potential sites, vetting them, signing contracts, providing insurance, setting up a schedule. Getting a site can take months or years of work by a dozen people. Philly added three new sites in 2009, and two of them were in the works for at least three years. They've been vetting another potential new site for the last two years and there are still bureaucratic/political hurdles to jump before we get to use the facility for a demonstration event to see if the site owners will let us on on a regular basis.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #19
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

Highlights from a Pro-Solo.