TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
good site for building an online forum??

What's up guys? Lately I've been coming up with some ideas for online forums to start up (non-car related). My only problem, I'm not trained in any form of code/script so I will be self taught. In other words I need an "easy" source for building my forum/s or at least one that's easy to start up (and I'll get tech with it later).

This is what I've tried and found in search so far -

I joined Vbulletin and did the 24 hour trial (when they had it, or it's not an option now?) and messed with it for about 2 hours. This didn't give me enough confidence to purchase the product and like hinted above they either stopped doing the free trial, or you only get one shot.

I searched and found a free forum builder site called forumotion.com. Been messing with it but something seems off about it to me. Any ever use this start to finish? Results?

The second free forum building site I found was Simple Machines. I haven't messed with this yet at all and hesitant to sign up with out a recommendation.. Sooo, has anyone ever used this site?

Any other sites or advice would be highly appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
JankyS13
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #15373

My Ride:
91.S13.KA-T

zetaboards are simple and proboards have a good following with loads of people willing to help ya with coding, that is if your to lazy to get one of the for dummies books.
JankyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JankyS13 View Post
zetaboards are simple and proboards have a good following with loads of people willing to help ya with coding, that is if your to lazy to get one of the for dummies books.
Thanks for the links man!! Going to check it out now. I'll eventually get a dummies book but need something to get me started to build the excitement to get more into it.

Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
JankyS13
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #15373

My Ride:
91.S13.KA-T

np, I would really lean towards proboards but you need to register a domain name that way ya dont have www(dot)whateveryoursitesnameis.proboards(dot)com as the url.

GL and have fun learning.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JankyS13 View Post
np, I would really lean towards proboards but you need to register a domain name that way ya dont have www(dot)whateveryoursitesnameis.proboards(dot)com as the url.

GL and have fun learning.
Just spent maybe 20 mins messing around on zeta, I gotta say it's 10 times better then that BS forumotion crap..

Proboards seemed a bit more tech, I'll go through it later on.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
JankyS13
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #15373

My Ride:
91.S13.KA-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proven View Post
Just spent maybe 20 mins messing around on zeta, I gotta say it's 10 times better then that BS forumotion crap..

Proboards seemed a bit more tech, I'll go through it later on.

proboards gives you more options and flexibility than zeta for sure, also look at the admin cp, you will notice that on zeta, the tabs are redundant being at the top and on the right. then there's the aspect that some actions can not be performed unless you use the tabs on the right vs the top. which is idiotic IMO. as for proboards, everything is just there and even if you sit there in drunken stooper it's easy to work commands and edit your HTML and so on. Also, take a look in the help forum for proboards, you are bond to find every answer you are looking for there.