TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
XxIriponzeesxX
Tri-State Addict

Member #14173

My Ride:
1991 240sx hatch DD, 1992 KA-T

car accident/totalled question

Hello everyone. I've got a question for those of you who have had there car totalled and the blue book value is way less than what you payed. I wanted to know if any of you have looked for cars for sale that are close to your car and presented the information to the agent who totalled your car. After you did that what happened? Did they laugh in your face or did the offer go up? I will post pics of the damage when I get of work.

Thank you for all of your help.
XxIriponzeesxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

is there a lien on the title of the car you're speaking of?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
98GSXdude
Tri-State Addict

Member #155

I was nervous about this when my 240 got hit, but the guy's insurance ended up valuing the car much higher than I thought. He had Geico FWIW.
E36 M3
Ex's: E46 M3, 350Z, 300ZX TT, E39 M5, 1G GSX, 2G GSX
98GSXdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
When I rearended someone in my last car, I thought for sure I'd get 1000$ (book value) for it. I ended up getting a couple hundred less than what I payed, though. No idea where they got the figure... I have Erie, fwiw.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

You can dispute your case. Be prepared to compare similiar cars in the SAME condition as yours though. If you can prove replacing your car is more then they offer you could get more money for it. I've done it and was givem more moey, but you will be doing alot of legwork. They base their numbers of fair market value and local listings. I learned that many of those listings aren't very legit and I went to the dealers and took pics and showed them it didn't compare to the condition of my car.

If your modded, especially if tehre is anything not street legal, I doubt they will give you a dime more and I would take their first offer. If they investigate and find out your car wasn't street legall 100%, they might be able to void your whole settlement since you shouldn't of been there anyway.

Last edited by jpalamar; 12-08-2010 at 11:53 AM.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
OutToWinPAHC
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5081

My Ride:
R33 GTS25T, RHD E46, Truck, part R32 GTR

Send a message via AIM to OutToWinPAHC
I totaled a car one day after buying it brand new, but I had gap coverage so even though the load was like 29K and the value now was 24 the gap pick it up. In extreme cases where your older car is totally and it was not your fault, you do not have to accept the settlement, you can get NADA values, KBB, values, and a independent appraisal and go to court.
OutToWinPAHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
XxIriponzeesxX
Tri-State Addict

Member #14173

My Ride:
1991 240sx hatch DD, 1992 KA-T

There is no lien on the title. I'm going to look for cars my age around what I paid and have them on hand when they look at the damage. My figures are crossed for luck. Thanks for all the info.
XxIriponzeesxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
92awdtsi
Tri-State Addict

Member #8248

My Ride:
92 talon tsi awd

If you recieved a check from the insurance company and you are not happy with the figure. DO NOT cash the check.. To them, that is "you saying your satisfied" with the amount they gave you. You can dispute it with local for sale listings of what you think your car is worth. Usually they will not give you 100% of what you think its worth. Keep in mind, insurance companies are not stupid.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92awdtsi View Post
If you recieved a check from the insurance company and you are not happy with the figure. DO NOT cash the check.. To them, that is "you saying your satisfied" with the amount they gave you. You can dispute it with local for sale listings of what you think your car is worth. Usually they will not give you 100% of what you think its worth. Keep in mind, insurance companies are not stupid.
100% correct,Gotta love Bus 107-02(business law I)
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:
Does not hit mivec anymore.(DD) 06 solstice 5 speed. 84 IMSA Fiero5 speed. 87 Fiero GT 5 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxIriponzeesxX View Post
Hello everyone. I've got a question for those of you who have had there car totalled and the blue book value is way less than what you payed. I wanted to know if any of you have looked for cars for sale that are close to your car and presented the information to the agent who totalled your car. After you did that what happened? Did they laugh in your face or did the offer go up? I will post pics of the damage when I get of work.

Thank you for all of your help.

It dosent matter what the prices on cars in your area are. all your going to get is the NDA value if your car. they dont even go by blue book. Most times there is a small bookley printed each year of what cars value's are. dealerships and insurance company's get them and you usualy get what the book says the car is worth which is WAY under book vlaue. KBB is just an estimet on what you will get on a really good day.
There are some exceptions to this such as custom work and stuff like that but you had better have the recipts to them.

Last edited by i_ride_fieroGT; 12-09-2010 at 08:14 PM.
i_ride_fieroGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_ride_fieroGT View Post
It dosent matter what the prices on cars in your area are. all your going to get is the NDA value if your car. they dont even go by blue book. Most times there is a small bookley printed each year of what cars value's are. dealerships and insurance company's get them and you usualy get what the book says the car is worth which is WAY under book vlaue. KBB is just an estimet on what you will get on a really good day.
There are some exceptions to this such as custom work and stuff like that but you had better have the recipts to them.
They don't really go by any book they look at fair market value for the market your in, different cars are worth different values depending on area.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
05OCsrt-4
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #855

please do not respond to stuff that you are not educated in. he can easily fight this the way that every has told him to. Just show that your car is worth more in fair market than the KBB shows.

Quote:
Quote:
I've got nothing... no sarcastic reply, no witty retort...
that was just stupid
05OCsrt-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:
Does not hit mivec anymore.(DD) 06 solstice 5 speed. 84 IMSA Fiero5 speed. 87 Fiero GT 5 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
They don't really go by any book they look at fair market value for the market your in, different cars are worth different values depending on area.
Thats basicley what thoes dealership books are. fair market value and they also have an auction price version of it to.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05OCsrt-4 View Post
please do not respond to stuff that you are not educated in. he can easily fight this the way that every has told him to. Just show that your car is worth more in fair market than the KBB shows.
Please tell me how I am not edcuated in it when I worked for allstate for a year and a half

As i said there are exceptions to this but not when it comes to a 20 year old mass produced car.

Last edited by i_ride_fieroGT; 12-09-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #15
DC2.2GSR
Tri-State Addict

Member #5220

My Ride:
is completely stock and gets great gas mileage.

Quote:
lol. Just stick to giving advice on Fieros or something because insurance info is definitely not your specialty. This is like the third time you've given ass-backwards info in a similar thread. In this particular post you've managed to talk in circles quite a bit.

NADA is what matters, and it is definitely affected by your location. It's called fair market value and NADA takes all things into consideration. Kelly Blue Book is just a different value rating system based on a lot of different sources, including NADA. KBB is almost always inaccurate and therefore not a good source of info if you're looking for the true value of a car. NADA, however, is a good source of info. There's no 'magic book' that only dealers and insurance companies get. That used to be the case many years ago and that's where the term 'book value' came from, but it no longer applies in the same sense.

NADA is what the insurance company uses and is the only acceptable method of determining an approximate value. It's the only way that we, as a collision repair facility, determine values.

There's much more to it, but basically you just need to understand that NADA is the important thing to pay attention to when you're trying to value your car. If you happen to find different prices, just call your agent or appraiser and talk about it. Like jpalamar said, you'll have to jump through hoops to prove your point and actually get anywhere, but it's safe to say that within a few percent, NADA value is what you're going to get. You shouldn't have any price difference at all unless you own a car that becomes the focus of an instant overnight fad and tomorrow morning you see cars being put on ebay for some obnoxious price.

ETA:
Quote:
Please tell me how I am not edcuated in it when I worked for allstate for a year and a half

As i said there are exceptions to this but not when it comes to a 20 year old mass produced car.
Doing what? Shredding paper? Taking out the garbage? It's obvious to us (evomike, myself, and I'm sure others who will respond) that you have no real experience with anything insurance/collision repair related.

Last edited by DC2.2GSR; 12-09-2010 at 08:38 PM.
DC2.2GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #16
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
lol. Just stick to giving advice on Fieros or something because insurance info is definitely not your specialty. This is like the third time you've given ass-backwards info in a similar thread. In this particular post you've managed to talk in circles quite a bit.

NADA is what matters, and it is definitely affected by your location. It's called fair market value and NADA takes all things into consideration. Kelly Blue Book is just a different value rating system based on a lot of different sources, including NADA. KBB is almost always inaccurate and therefore not a good source of info if you're looking for the true value of a car. NADA, however, is a good source of info. There's no 'magic book' that only dealers and insurance companies get. That used to be the case and that's where the term 'book value' came from, but it no longer applies in the same sense.

NADA is what the insurance company uses and is the only acceptable method of determining an approximate value. It's the only way that we, as a collision repair facility, determine values. Once

There's much more to it, but basically you just need to understand that NADA is the important thing to pay attention to when you're trying to value your car. If you happen to find different prices, just call your agent or appraiser and talk about it. Like jpalamar said, you'll have to jump through hoops to prove your point and actually get anywhere, but it's safe to say that within a few percent, NADA value is what you're going to get. You shouldn't have any price difference at all unless you own a car that becomes the focus of an instant overnight fad and tomorrow morning you see cars being put on ebay for some obnoxious price.
Thats exactley what i was trying to tell him.

NDA= price your going to get minus your deductable. Just because a car is a "fad" dosent mean its going to drive the value up for insurance buyout's by thousands of dollars. If he had somthing insaine done to the car like a costley (street legal) engine swap or extensive custom work and he has the recipt's to prove there prices than yes there is room to argue there but if its a mostley bone stock or lightley modded 240SX hes not going to get $2000-$3000 more because its a "fad" car. Mabey a couple hundred more but thats all i see happning in this case. The car is not a 60's corvette its a 240SX like everyone elses. (not saying the last statement to be a smart a$$ just to make an example.)

And than on top of all of this if it has a motor in it thats no street legal SR, RB. etc. As stated above thats grounds for the whole settelment to be denied because the car shouldent have been on the road to begin with.

And i was an ajuster for the last 6 months of my employment there.

Last edited by i_ride_fieroGT; 12-09-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #17
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Yet in another thread like a week or so ago you said your insurance company was running a chop shop on the side...
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #18
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
Yet in another thread like a week or so ago you said your insurance company was running a chop shop on the side...
No the one that tried to toal my old firebird not the one i worked for. And it wasent a chop shop. They worked with a company that took (bought) the cars that they totaled took off the good parts on them and sold them as used parts and scrapped the frame. Where do you think used parts come from if you dident pull it yourself.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #19
92awdtsi
Tri-State Addict

Member #8248

My Ride:
92 talon tsi awd

Quote:

And i was an ajuster for the last 6 months of my employment there.
I deal with insurance adjusters almost everyday at the body shop i work at. My question is.... how many supplements did you get a month. My guess is you get more supplements than not. Insurance adjusters jobs are to save the insurance company money and dick you over. Plain and simple. Don't tell me I'm wrong my boss was an adjuster for 10+ years before opening his shop. This just proves the stereotype even more. Insurance companies ALWAYS think they are 100% right/better than you. All this kid with the 240 has to do is mention the insurance commission and I'm willing to bet the insurance company will "bend" a little on the price they are offering.

To the OP, Remember..... the squeaky wheel gets the grease.. They just want you (your claim) to go away.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #20
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92awdtsi View Post
I deal with insurance adjusters almost everyday at the body shop i work at. My question is.... how many supplements do you get a month. My guess is you get more supplements than happy shops. This just proves the stereotype even more. Insurance companies ALWAYS think they are 100% right/better than you. All this kid with the 240 is mention the insurance commission and I'm willing to bet they will "bend" a little on the price they are offering.

To the OP, Remember..... the squeaky wheel gets the grease.. They just want you (your claim) to go away.

They might bend a little bit on him but i can only see a couple hundred dollar bend. its not like there going to give him an overinflated price just because its the car to have "right now"
And your not wrong thats 100% and ajusters job. When you sign the contract with them you sign your live away (car wise) When your in an accident the company has to replace the part with an OEM or aftermarket OEM type part This means they can use a used part new part aftermarket part. Which ever is cheaper. Its a business ran just like anything else in this world by the lowest bidder.

It wasent my job to care/know/payout to a persoans car was worth more to a bunch of enthusiust's it was my job to pay out what it was worth on paper. Just because a person paied more for it because it was a "fad car" dosent mean that its going to be worth more to an insurance company.

Last edited by i_ride_fieroGT; 12-09-2010 at 10:22 PM.