TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Mazda Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-22-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
the mike
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #19

My Ride:
1991 Toyota Previa!!!

Send a message via AIM to the mike Send a message via Yahoo to the mike
Tools for a 13b clutch job?

So the RX needs a clutch, whether due to the clutch being misadjusted after the last clutch was "recently installed" or due to the fact that it was never done at all.

Are there any tools I am going to ned to pick up specially for this job? I have heard that there is a big nut holding the flywheel to the eccentric shaft. Yes?

I'll probably try to weasel my way into work on my day off and do it there.

Any recommendations on a clutch?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
peteyturbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1450

What year/model??
peteyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
xEJ20x
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #72

My Ride:
13 STI

Send a message via MSN to xEJ20x
The nut on the eccentric shaft is like 22mm.

And was torqued on by King Kong.....you better have your air tools cranked up to get it off.

And hit Jerry up about clutch options, I think hes running Exedy.

Last edited by xEJ20x; 10-22-2007 at 08:28 PM.
xEJ20x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
redline
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #784

Send a message via AIM to redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by xEJ20x View Post
The nut on the eccentric shaft is like 22mm.

And was torqued on by King Kong.....you better have your air tools cranked up to get it off.

And hit Jerry up about clutch options, I think hes running Exedy.
Last I knew he had a ACT
Old 10-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
antman0408
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1337

Send a message via AIM to antman0408
[QUOTE=xEJ20x;699754]The nut on the eccentric shaft is like 22mm.

QUOTE]

Actually 54mm, or 2 1/8 inch
antman0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
Silverfc88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #126

My Ride:
88 RX7 TII, 2012 WRX hatch

Send a message via AIM to Silverfc88
Yeah I have a ACT pressure plate with a Clutchnet disk. There are plenty of options out there. The Racing Beat clutches are by Clutchnet and I love the ACT clutches. They take a beating. I've heard good things about the Exedy stage clutches also. I would also change the master and slave cylinders after you swap the clutch. I blew both after a couple of months of use with the new clutch.

antman0408 had the right size^
If you plan on pulling the flywheel you will need something like a 2 */* inch socket. I forget the size, but I have it in my locker at work and you will need a big ol impact to get that sucker off.

The hardest part for me to drop the tranny is the exhaust. Then the four bolts for the drive shaft, 4 bolts for the rear tranny mount, 2 starter bolts, reverse/cruise switch wireing harness, a ground on the very top of the tranny. Be carefull with the wire that is attached to the slave cylinder. They tend to break off the little black box and if that happens your oil pressure gauge won't work anymore (happened to me).

I don't know how different the process is on pulling the tranny for the non turbo's, but it isn't hard. The tranny is a whole lot smaller.

Tools that are handy

10-24mm sockets
Box end combo wrenches
Breaker bar
Some super long extensions
Swivel extension
Crescent wrench

If you need the super large socket you can borrow mine I think its the same for the N/T and turbo. You can ask Jon to grab it or you can wait until the weekend.

Grab a rear transmission seal and Speedo O-ring. They tend to leak. Good luck pulling that pilot bearing.

Edit: This should be easy for you Mike. I'm curious to see what you find under there.
Streetport 13bt, Haltech Sprint RE, FIC 1150cc + Delphi 1000cc injectors, Walbro 255, Borg Warner s360 .88, HKS mani, JGS 50mm, Greddy FMIC, HKS Twin Power, AEM water/meth inj

Last edited by Silverfc88; 10-22-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Silverfc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:59 AM   #7
the mike
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #19

My Ride:
1991 Toyota Previa!!!

Still haven't done this, I need to get my tax return first. I both love and hate this car. I can't wait to se how it feels when I can actually get on it.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:18 AM   #8
jdmwill
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5436

My Ride:
daily s13 slammed drifty ready, drift car ae86 sr20 powered...20" mongoose for fun

pilot bearing ugh how i hate thee.clutch job on fc are pretty much eazy. i cant remember how many of these trannys i've pulled.as for clutch i have only used exedy stage 2 or 3. they hold up pretty good specially for drifting.good luck with the work bro.

by the way ur not swapping a light weight flywheel in right? be careful try to used the right flywheel s4 and s5 flywheels are slightly different specially weight.put the wrong one in and be prepare for engine vibration.

Last edited by jdmwill; 02-16-2008 at 03:23 AM.
jdmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
NOPSTNS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3176

a lot of ppl like diff setups, i personally know that mazda uses exedy for their oem clutches so if its good enuff for an oem it must be good. i like exedy. i have seen them take a **** ton of abuse, but others have seen the same in other companies so, go for whatever u like. for example, i did a clutch on a 1990 miata and it had 190k on the original clutch! was it smoked? sure, it had about 85% of its material gone and it was runnin the rivets onto the flywheel but damn, 190k?! i pulled it out and it s face was purple and what did it say on it? EXEDY.

its beating a dead horse, but, OMG THAT NUT FOR THE FLYWHEEL IS A BITCH. us mazda techs refer to it as the widow maker.

i know for a fact that the spec for the torque tightness is about 375 ft lbs for rx8. im sure its the same for other 13b's as well.

we have a special service tool to get that bitch nut off, its a 7 foot pole with the biggest damn socket ever on the end of it.
other than that they go well, but id second the suggestion by jerry about changing the clutch slave and master cyls and also the speedometer washer and pilot bearing and rear trans seal. change as much as u can while ur in there...
NOPSTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:59 AM   #10
the mike
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #19

My Ride:
1991 Toyota Previa!!!

So the clutch is ordered, and I stumbled on a goldmine of specialty tools aver at Mazdatrix. I had to order the NA flywheel stopper, since this may be a driveway install.

http://mazdatrix.com/ftools.htm

Nice eccentric shaft nut tool on there too...