TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Regional (Yup, Tri-State is really Five-State) > Pennsylvania
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
GregFarz78
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7339

My Ride:
04 S2000, 86 Mazda B2000

Does anyone here do PA state inspections?

I have a 89 240sx that I planned on swapping a VQ35 into but my question is will I have a problem when it comes time for state inspection? I'm pretty confident it would pass emissions but is it going to be a problem with an engine that doesnt belong in that car? I mean **** they failed my sentra this year b/c I had non working fog lights

I'm pretty sure ODBI cars only require a visual inspection so they might not even care? I'd hate to do all this work to find out I can't drive it, I know find a shady mechanic and pay for stickers but I'd rather go the legal way.
GregFarz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
The Grey NA
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #8142

My Ride:
05' zx3

If your county is an emissions county is the only place you would really run into a problem. I dont have my license yet, im waiting for it to be sent from harrisburg, but Ive done the class and test already. To be honest, where I work at, we just car if you can drive the car in, there is next to no ball joint movement, no holes in the exhaust, and to make sure the brake pads and tires aren't below 2/32nds of an inch.

Supposed to have all lights attached to teh car work also, but it all depends on where you bring the car too. I hear alot of smaller shops will just throw a sticker on, but since we are a cadillac dealership, and work on flat rate, we look for work lol
AEM CAI l 60mm Throttle Bodyl High-Flo Cat l Flowmaster 2.5" Exhaust l Eibach Sportline Springs l H&R Struts l Body Matched Grille l Shorty Antenna l Painted Trim l Interior Lighting l 17" MSR Drift Rims
The Grey NA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

So PA is a county to county emissions state?

Quote:
But what if they encouraged it AND the stickers turn out to be awesome? They COULD POSSIBLY say something like "I love Mike and would turn gay for his tattooed, bmw driving, new york living ass". just saying.
twastheglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

Send a message via AIM to teh DIRT
philly. (pittsburgh region, south central region, and northern region do not apply to below testing...different testing)

your CAR dictates your emissions testing, not your engine. With that being said.

A 1989 Car in philadelphia county is subject to: A visual inspection, A gas cap inspection, And an ASM Test.

Your emissions inspector will check for:
A catalytic convertor
An EGR valve (if your car came equipped with one)
A PCV valve (if your car came equipped with one)
A fuel inlet restrictor
A air injection system (if your car came equipped with one)
An EVAP system (if your car came equipped with one)

This is a PASS, FAIL, N/A test
You will fail if these items are not present or appear to be non functioning/tampered with.

Your gas cap will be tested for sealing.

Your car will be put on a dyno and ran through the ASM 5015 test, if your emissions are "clean", you will pass.

I am a certified (non operating ) PA emissions inspector.

Last edited by teh DIRT; 08-27-2008 at 05:16 PM.
teh DIRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

I sure am glad NY State is just a safety inspection!

Quote:
But what if they encouraged it AND the stickers turn out to be awesome? They COULD POSSIBLY say something like "I love Mike and would turn gay for his tattooed, bmw driving, new york living ass". just saying.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
lownslow95
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #276

My Ride:
2011 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
I'm going to be glad Maryland is a one time emissions/inspection thing w/ no stickers...
Old 08-27-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
GregFarz78
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7339

My Ride:
04 S2000, 86 Mazda B2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh DIRT View Post
philly. (pittsburgh region, south central region, and northern region do not apply to below testing...different testing)

your CAR dictates your emissions testing, not your engine. With that being said.

A 1989 Car in philadelphia county is subject to: A visual inspection, A gas cap inspection, And an ASM Test.

Your emissions inspector will check for:
A catalytic convertor
An EGR valve (if your car came equipped with one)
A PCV valve (if your car came equipped with one)
A fuel inlet restrictor
A air injection system (if your car came equipped with one)
An EVAP system (if your car came equipped with one)

This is a PASS, FAIL, N/A test
You will fail if these items are not present or appear to be non functioning/tampered with.

Your gas cap will be tested for sealing.

Your car will be put on a dyno and ran through the ASM 5015 test, if your emissions are "clean", you will pass.

I am a certified (non operating ) PA emissions inspector.
Nice thanks man I'm pretty confident it will pass emissions is a low mileage vq and I will have a cat
GregFarz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
The Grey NA
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #8142

My Ride:
05' zx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twastheglow View Post
So PA is a county to county emissions state?
Yes. I believe allentown is one county that requires emissions, but I know monroe doesn't, because thats where im am. and as far as emissions goes, I cant say whether it will pass or fail, because I dont do emissions.

But we do check for EGR, PCV, AIR, and cats. Basically if it was equipped with it, it should be there. BUT, if I recognize the car, Ill pass him if he has no exhaust at all

It doesn't matter if a cop pulls ya over for not having it, all the inspector has to say is that he saw it on there when you had the inspection..but some people aren't as forgiving as others
AEM CAI l 60mm Throttle Bodyl High-Flo Cat l Flowmaster 2.5" Exhaust l Eibach Sportline Springs l H&R Struts l Body Matched Grille l Shorty Antenna l Painted Trim l Interior Lighting l 17" MSR Drift Rims
The Grey NA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
Sled
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1475

yeah im not gonna lie i work for a shop and have all my licenses and on older cars i just look for a cat and make sure the gas cap is good. if it passes the dyno test i dont really care if its missing the other ****.

05-28-2010 Insubordination (Second-Degree)
05-18-2010 Disrespecting Another Member
08-20-2009 Dodging Swear Filter / Inappropriate lang
01-06-2009 Non-Vendor Advertising
Sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #10
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

You guys are making me glad I don't live in PA.

Quote:
Old 08-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Especially since I just took out my egr and evap system. lol

Quote:
Old 08-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #12
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

Send a message via AIM to teh DIRT
yeah what I posted is what is REQUIRED to be done. 75% of the inspectors out there wont check for that stuff.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #13
tg900
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7026

My Ride:
98 Isuzu Hombre

Allentown requires emissions...Both Northampton and Lehigh Counties require emissions. Going North of Allentown doesn't require emissions.

The way you require emissions is if your car is registered to an address in a county that requires them.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #14
350 INCH 95
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #6946

My Ride:
Blown 95 Impala SS (and a Trailblazer SS)

Send a message via AIM to 350 INCH 95
Since I'm assuing this will be a hobby car are you going to stay under 5000 miles a year? If you drive under that you don't need to pass emissions, only safety. Last inspection I did a few months ago I didn't have to pass emissions so they didn't even have to do a visual check on it, all they had to do was check out my front end, brakes, tires, wipers, and lights.
Procharged & Intercooled, GM845 cam, Crane 1.6 roller rockers, self ported Al heads, Yank 3000 stall, Eaton posi & 4.10 gears, level 3 built 4L60e, Tri Y headers, Hooker Aero Chambers, 3.5" cowl hood, Hotchkis springs and bars, Diddy Kong in the trunk, all LED and HID lighting, tinted tails, tinted windows, lots of polished stuff, too much more. Runs 12.701 @ 108 MPH with no traction and 4400 LBS
350 INCH 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #15
Dave 88 A.E
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3154

My Ride:
1988 10th Anniversary RX7, 1985 GSL-SE Widebody RX-7

Send a message via AIM to Dave 88 A.E
Quote:
Originally Posted by twastheglow View Post
Especially since I just took out my egr and evap system. lol
Yeah i have absolutely no emissions on my fc, yet it passes everytime I get it inspected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dave 88 A.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
Sled
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 INCH 95 View Post
Since I'm assuing this will be a hobby car are you going to stay under 5000 miles a year? If you drive under that you don't need to pass emissions, only safety. Last inspection I did a few months ago I didn't have to pass emissions so they didn't even have to do a visual check on it, all they had to do was check out my front end, brakes, tires, wipers, and lights.
yeah cool, but if the inspection mechanic is a dick, he suppose to check all that stuff when he does the safety inspection. it says it right in the inspection book real clear.

05-28-2010 Insubordination (Second-Degree)
05-18-2010 Disrespecting Another Member
08-20-2009 Dodging Swear Filter / Inappropriate lang
01-06-2009 Non-Vendor Advertising
Sled is offline   Reply With Quote