TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #141
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Ramps and some hand torque has cured the clunks over the last two weeks so I think it’s now good.

Endlink nuts were a little loose under full load.

Now in all driving modes, the suspension with this bar seems pretty suitably matched. I’m very happy with this mod now that it’s quiet.

Next up will be the X brace. The delivery date keeps getting pushed out by ECS Tuning. Right now it’s scheduled for February 7th.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #142
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Quiet mods are good mods (unless it's an exhaust... to an extent)
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:30 PM   #143
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Quiet mods are good mods
This 100%, in my youth I completely overlooked NHV, and seeing as I’m not a solid mount sporting high schooler anymore, I despise NHV and road noise. That iS I just bought has delrin engine mounts and a delrin diff mount and it’s....... painful. I used to overlook clunky spherical endlinks, too. Never again
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:15 PM   #144
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

^ haha completely agree and it's why I went with the Golf R to begin with. The 99% of the time you aren't setting lap times, it's just a nice quiet, comfortable car to be in with a great stereo and loads of tech to play with.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #145
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

The Racingline Xbrace has had its shipping label created.

No ETA. It keeps getting pushed back.

In the meantime, I’m making a list of repairs for warranty repair:

A-Pillar/dash squeak or rattle: something under the dash cover is squeaking and rattling. I can’t find the source. Suspect is the soundaktor under the hood but warranty.

Wheels are bent/out of balance: at 76mph, there is an increasing amount of shake from the wheels. They look great and are lightweight but bend. Warranty repair

Headlight cracked: have had this for awhile. Need to pony up and pay for a new one

Rattle in the back hatch: X-Brace should fix this.

I also need to get a really good detail on the interior and exterior with paint repair.

Commuter car wear and tear stuff.

32 mpg!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #146
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Installed the Racingline X-Brace today and wanted to share the quality of this part first:

Took a test drive and the rear feels more solid over bumps, more shock goes into the suspension vs. the chassis.

Now I think the car needs a front brace.

Quality of the parts and fitment were top-notch. Would recommend, but definitely not the most cost-effective solution on the market.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-22-2020, 07:34 PM   #147
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

So pretty! Carbon fiber is pretty sick too

Mod bug has bitten, eh? It's nice to do these little mods but then you run out of the little stuff...
Old 02-22-2020, 09:08 PM   #148
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
So pretty! Carbon fiber is pretty sick too

Mod bug has bitten, eh? It's nice to do these little mods but then you run out of the little stuff...
Thanks! I really like this part, it's cleaned up the shudder from the rear of the car that happened every time i'd hit a pothole on the rear wheels. The rear is solid now with this brace and the rear swaybar. Car feels more tossable.

The front strut bar has me remembering the BMW and how effective that was at cleaning up the ride over bumps and providing a nice steering response change.

Mod bug is definitely there, I have to keep beating it back because this is my daily driver and it has a great warranty.

It's also fun to drive around town!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-22-2020, 10:25 PM   #149
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

^^^ Ordered the EuroCode front strut tower bar with the current tax return sale going on. $223 shipped

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-23-2020, 12:50 AM   #150
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

So much for beating back the mod bug, eh?
Old 02-23-2020, 03:17 AM   #151
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
So much for beating back the mod bug, eh?
Chassis stuff

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #152
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Strut bar arrived yesterday.

Requires a wiper puller tool to install.

Also gotta jack up the front of the car and align the struts for new mounting bolts.

Should be fun

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-06-2020, 05:26 PM   #153
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Requires a wiper puller tool to install.
you need a special tool to remove wipers?
Old 03-08-2020, 10:15 PM   #154
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
you need a special tool to remove wipers?
Yup!!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-08-2020, 11:56 PM   #155
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

New mounting bolts for the struts?
Old 03-09-2020, 12:51 PM   #156
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
New mounting bolts for the struts?
Yeah it’s a one time use part on this

https://ecodetuning.com/guides/MQB/StrutBarFront.pdf

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-09-2020, 03:32 PM   #157
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Ohhh, makes sense. Do the tophats allow you to slide them inwards a bit to get more camber?
Old 03-15-2020, 08:41 AM   #158
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Ohhh, makes sense. Do the tophats allow you to slide them inwards a bit to get more camber?
Unfortunately they don’t.

Weakness of the platform has been lack of front camber.

Aftermarket solves it with cutting strut tower and using plates, lower control arms and the clubsport s front knuckles.

But from the factory? Pretty much nothing.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #159
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

My VW dealer is offering free pickup and delivery of cars for servicing.

Yesterday I took advantage of that while working from home with this shelter in place order.

They’re going to look at the dash squeak that the car has had since new and also the rear dif to ensure no leaks.

I’m going to also ask them to check the balance on the wheels and tires while they have it.

All covered under warranty!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-27-2020, 02:50 PM   #160
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Man, that's pretty sweet!