TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Honda / Acura Talk
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 08-01-2006, 10:36 PM   #1
ProfessorCustomz
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #601

My Ride:
04 E Blue SRT4

Send a message via AIM to ProfessorCustomz
Honda Engine Swap Help

Im getting rid of my srt4 due to to many bills and having a baby in october. So even though im not a honda guy and have hated them for years i know it is possible when done right to make a honda fast so my gf has a 96 honda civic and well its damn slow and i wanna know what motor could give the best hp/tq results and best for turbo to be installed on it. Thanks for the help guys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ProfessorCustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:50 PM   #2
SUB2.5RS
Tri-State Addict

Member #697

My Ride:
2.5RS , 89 Supra turbo , 93 240SX coupe (SOLD), 96 Legacy

I dont really know about Honda's too well but alot of people i know go with a B16 or some went with an LS V-tec. Or if you wanted to get crazy go with an H22 or a K20. As for turbo's on them things go I'll let someone else pick that up.
SUB2.5RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:07 AM   #3
highmilehatch
Tri-State Addict

Member #929

Send a message via AIM to highmilehatch
How much power do you want? What kind of driving will you be doing mostly? What is your budget? Any stock B-series engine can put you over 300whp on pump gas. There are ALOT of different manufacturers who make parts that will get you there. Making that kind of power reliably depends on who installs it and who tunes it, along with proper maintenance. I could easily put together a turbo kit for you based on your needs. The car will be fast, and you will have no issues.

Last edited by highmilehatch; 08-02-2006 at 01:13 AM.
highmilehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:12 AM   #4
BlackBulletTSi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #224

My Ride:
99 Eclipse GSX

Send a message via AIM to BlackBulletTSi
I recommend BCSpeed as a good shop to talk to and have some work done.

New DJ community being built,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
COMING SOON!!
BlackBulletTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
ProfessorCustomz
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #601

My Ride:
04 E Blue SRT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmilehatch
How much power do you want? What kind of driving will you be doing mostly? What is your budget? Any stock B-series engine can put you over 300whp on pump gas. There are ALOT of different manufacturers who make parts that will get you there. Making that kind of power reliably depends on who installs it and who tunes it, along with proper maintenance. I could easily put together a turbo kit for you based on your needs. The car will be fast, and you will have no issues.

i want more than 300whp and i want a lot of torque my srt4 has 363whp and 389tq and that wasnt good enough so if you can build at least a 400whp turbo kit what would that cost including a motor

Old 08-02-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
ProfessorCustomz
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #601

My Ride:
04 E Blue SRT4

Quote:

i want more than 300whp and i want a lot of torque my srt4 has 363whp and 389tq and that wasnt good enough so if you can build at least a 400whp turbo kit what would that cost including a motor

Old 08-02-2006, 11:27 AM   #7
ketchup!
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #656

My Ride:
Speedooo's Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCustomz
well the best way to get torque out of a honda motor is to turbo the ls(b18b) motor. But in order to achieve 400whp the whole block would have to be built so that you could run around 20 pounds of boost. Also don't forget about tuning because bad tuning=kaboom. If you want good tuning go to Jeff Evans.

ketchup! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #8
ProfessorCustomz
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #601

My Ride:
04 E Blue SRT4

so how about a price?

Old 08-02-2006, 12:44 PM   #9
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

I dont think you can concretely say "It will cost this much to make this much power"

You gotta realize there are many things along the way which could make it cost more or cost less. The labor on the block could take a bit longer than you hoped for thus adding a good bit or the product you get could be on sale. there is no definitive price which says XXXX$ = XXX HP
Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:46 PM   #10
ProfessorCustomz
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #601

My Ride:
04 E Blue SRT4

yeah i know it takes money to build a motor i just wanted an estimate

Old 08-03-2006, 11:06 AM   #11
ProfessorCustomz
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #601

My Ride:
04 E Blue SRT4

also i hate the way a honda sounds is there a way for it to not sound like a weedwacker and more like a car all the help i can get is much appreciated im looking to spend less than 5 grand on the motor

Old 08-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #12
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

straight pipes
Old 08-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #13
ProfessorCustomz
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #601

My Ride:
04 E Blue SRT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_
straight pipes
you have any videos of what a honda sounds like with straight pipes that i could here?

Old 08-03-2006, 11:11 AM   #14
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

erm...i wouldnt reccomend straight pipes since they are loud as ass. No muffler, no resonators, nothing. I would just shop around for a good exhaust that simply muffles more instead of giving that weedwhacker drone.

I can't point you to a place that has a lot of clips but check out honda boards or streetfire, etc.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:12 AM   #15
ProfessorCustomz
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #601

My Ride:
04 E Blue SRT4

alright thanks i just need someones help with a setup and price so i can get this project started

Old 08-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #16
highmilehatch
Tri-State Addict

Member #929

You said 5 grand on the motor. Is that including the turbo kit?

There are alot of ways to do this. Price will vary depending on which engine you start with. I would not start with a B18B. You'll get a taller geared trans (unless you do alot of highway driving, this will be no fun) 20 psi is not the magic number. People still don't understand that boost is just a number, it's the size of the turbo and CFM that matter. 10 psi on a large turbo and 20 psi on a smaller turbo will both equal 300whp. Anyway, I would do this:

-B16 or GSR swap with LSD
-0.020 overbore on stock sleeves
-CP Pistons, Manley rods, OEM bearings
-Stock head
-Stock head gasket, ignition system
-GSR, ITR, or CTR cams
-Edelbrock IM
-1000cc injectors
-Walbro fuel pump
-Full Race stage 1 or 2 turbo kit
-Exedy Twin disc
-Neptune engine management

You will see roughly 400whp/300 tq on pump with the B16, more torque with the GSR. 600+ whp on race gas. If you decided to build a B18B block, you could bore it out to 2.0 liters, netting you even more displacement. B18B blocks are easy to come by. If you want to rev the piss out of it, and make tons of top end, do the B16A.

I get a lot of questions about this, most of them just high school kids with big dreams and empty pockets. So if you are indeed serious, feel free to contact me.

Keep in mind that right off the bat, you can make over 300whp on pump on either engine, without opening up the engine at all. If you wanted to build something while you had that going, I have plently of B18B blocks w/cranks waiting to be either sleeved or assembled with new pistons/rods. This would mean much less downtime for you.

Last edited by highmilehatch; 08-03-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:23 PM   #17
98GSXdude
Tri-State Addict

Member #155

if yr gonna go all out on a built motor and turbo kit its stupid to run neptune. you'll want either ems or hondata
E36 M3
Ex's: E46 M3, 350Z, 300ZX TT, E39 M5, 1G GSX, 2G GSX
98GSXdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:30 PM   #18
highmilehatch
Tri-State Addict

Member #929

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GSXdude
if yr gonna go all out on a built motor and turbo kit its stupid to run neptune. you'll want either ems or hondata

AHAHAHAHAHAHH. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Do you even know what Neptune is? Please do yourself a favor and refrain from trying to spread misinformation. You obviously have ZERO experience with tuning/using any sort of standalone. Not to mention you said the following about yourself:

"im also an immature 19 year old with no job and an infatuation with 350z's so my advice probably isn't the best all the time."

Last edited by highmilehatch; 08-03-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #19
ProfessorCustomz
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #601

My Ride:
04 E Blue SRT4

Quote:
You said 5 grand on the motor. Is that including the turbo kit?

There are alot of ways to do this. Price will vary depending on which engine you start with. I would not start with a B18B. You'll get a taller geared trans (unless you do alot of highway driving, this will be no fun) 20 psi is not the magic number. People still don't understand that boost is just a number, it's the size of the turbo and CFM that matter. 10 psi on a large turbo and 20 psi on a smaller turbo will both equal 300whp. Anyway, I would do this:

-B16 or GSR swap with LSD
-0.020 overbore on stock sleeves
-CP Pistons, Manley rods, OEM bearings
-Stock head
-Stock head gasket, ignition system
-GSR, ITR, or CTR cams
-Edelbrock IM
-1000cc injectors
-Walbro fuel pump
-Full Race stage 1 or 2 turbo kit
-Exedy Twin disc
-Neptune engine management

You will see roughly 400whp/300 tq on pump with the B16, more torque with the GSR. 600+ whp on race gas. If you decided to build a B18B block, you could bore it out to 2.0 liters, netting you even more displacement. B18B blocks are easy to come by. If you want to rev the piss out of it, and make tons of top end, do the B16A.

I get a lot of questions about this, most of them just high school kids with big dreams and empty pockets. So if you are indeed serious, feel free to contact me.

Keep in mind that right off the bat, you can make over 300whp on pump on either engine, without opening up the engine at all. If you wanted to build something while you had that going, I have plently of B18B blocks w/cranks waiting to be either sleeved or assembled with new pistons/rods. This would mean much less downtime for you.

thanks and i am serious it just may take a few weeks cause im getting rid of my srt and getting my girls civic registered and insured and i am very serious about this i want power as much as you can suck out of a honda motor just one thing that really bothers me with hondas is the sound i cant take it i hate it

Old 08-04-2006, 12:33 AM   #20
ketchup!
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #656

My Ride:
Speedooo's Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCustomz
thanks and i am serious it just may take a few weeks cause im getting rid of my srt and getting my girls civic registered and insured and i am very serious about this i want power as much as you can suck out of a honda motor just one thing that really bothers me with hondas is the sound i cant take it i hate it
THEN DONT ****ING GET ONE, JESUS STOP CRYING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ketchup! is offline   Reply With Quote