TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 11:45 PM   #181
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Heh, gotta love the silly "you can't have this" nonsense. I get it, but it's as dumb as Ford pricing the prior gen GT500 hood at $10k or something silly to stop people from buying them for "fakes"

I'm liking the Michelin PS4S so far on the ND, good all around summer tire.

Sounds like a lot of fun!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:04 AM   #182
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Heh, gotta love the silly "you can't have this" nonsense. I get it, but it's as dumb as Ford pricing the prior gen GT500 hood at $10k or something silly to stop people from buying them for "fakes"

I'm liking the Michelin PS4S so far on the ND, good all around summer tire.

Sounds like a lot of fun!
Yeah, it’s a total money grab. Offer the titanium exhaust only in select countries and tie the part number to the VIN. Makes it a collectible since it’ll have the VWAG part number embossed in the suitcase.

Thankfully it wasn’t $10k, but still cost a lot with no guarantee I’ll get it.

Those are the tires I’m most likely going with. The Performance Pack comes with Michelin Sport Cup 2’s, but unless I get a second set of wheels those tires don’t make sense for a DD. I will say that the factory Continentals (aside from what might be a tire defect on one of them), are really decent tires. Grip doesn’t stop below 40 degrees, they’re relatively grippy and quiet too with ~30k of life to them.

It really is, you’ll have to take it out whenever life gets back to normal. Still front heavy but definitely better balanced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 05-24-2020 at 08:06 AM.
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:04 AM   #183
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Oh, after looking at the mk8 chassis and suspension improvements I’ve identified what it’ll have different from the mk7.5.

- strut tops
- aluminum front subframe (like the current S3)
- four subframe / control arm bushings
- wheel mounts (could these be from the clubsport s?)
- retuned springs and DCC shocks
- software changes

All in all, not seeing a huge upgrade. Willing to bet a few of these are backwards compatible too. DieselGate must have taken away their entire budget on these cars. Material dropoff and lack of improvements is pretty crazy.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-31-2020, 07:18 PM   #184
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

First supplier for the akrapovic fell through, but cars245 will be trying a second supplier.

My list to complete the performance pack gets shorter now:
Front rotors (save 2kg)
Front brake pads

A few Clubsport s items I want:
Aluminum subframe (S3)
Clubsport s wheel hubs (1 degree extra static negative camber)
Potentially the Clubsport s front control arm bushing

Then this becomes the best of the best OEM parts Golf R with an R600 intake and chassis bracing

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-31-2020, 08:22 PM   #185
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Comparison between stock and the akrapovic

https://youtu.be/pEDjCk_SzbU

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #186
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

The more I consider this setup, the more I’m leaning towards buying a set of 18’s for daily duties.

Thankfully, VW makes a matching Pretoria in gloss black in 18” that will fit perfectly.

https://www.worldoemparts.com/world-...-5g0071498aax1

This way I can save the 19’s for track use and run the Cup 2’s or PS4S tires on them!

Also, no update on the Akrapovic... the supplier is working through internal issues. I’ll provide updates as they come. In the meantime, I’ve asked them to price match on the front brakes from the Performance Pack to round this kit out.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-09-2020, 09:35 PM   #187
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

A guy I work with has a 7.5 Gti rabbit with them on there and man they look so nice. Should have been the OEM wheels on all GTis
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:37 AM   #188
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

The Akrapovic sounds gnarly. Like, louder than I expected
Old 06-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #189
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
A guy I work with has a 7.5 Gti rabbit with them on there and man they look so nice. Should have been the OEM wheels on all GTis
Completely agree and the Rabbit is definitely my favorite US GTI

Just wish we got the TCR and Clubsport versions here.

Stupid cost structure.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #190
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
The Akrapovic sounds gnarly. Like, louder than I expected
Yeah, I love it! Brings more of an R meaning to the letter for sure

Now I just wish cars245 would get their **** together and get the order filled.

Sitting here waiting for months on the R600 and now the Akrapovic

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-12-2020, 08:36 AM   #191
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Did price comparison shopping on the Clubsport S (Performance Pack) brake kit and pulled the trigger:

Genuine MQB 340x30mm Front Clubsport S Discs (Pair) (5Q0615301C)

Genuine MQB Clubsport S Front Brake Pad Set (5Q0698151L)

Genuine MQB Clubsport S Rear Brake Pad Set (5G0698451)

Performance Pack will now be complete. Onto the 3 other parts that will make this the OEM+ build of a lifetime:

Clubsport S front wheelhubs (+1 degree of negative static camber)
Audi S3 aluminum front subframe (7lbs reduction - used on Clubsport S)
Clubsport S front control arm bushing (solid rubber without gaps for steering feel)

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 06-12-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:30 AM   #192
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

The bushings and knuckles will be big upgrades done relatively easily. Subframe is... a job lol
Old 06-13-2020, 07:45 AM   #193
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
The bushings and knuckles will be big upgrades done relatively easily. Subframe is... a job lol
Have you done them? I’m more than likely going to drop the car off with the parts in the hatch at a local VWAG shop.

I’ll do the brakes, intake and exhaust but figured the knuckles, subframe and bushings were a shop job.

Reading the reviews of the Clubsport vs. the R that main difference that stands out (aside from grip differences), is that the Clubsport steering is heavier, has more feel, greater front end grip and is more direct. Sounds like these tweaks are going to be amazing.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 06-13-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #194
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Swaybar clunked, tightened down a loose endlink nut.

Rear x brace started creaking. Tightened down the middle adjustment screw

New maintenance procedures for this car I guess

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-14-2020, 12:20 AM   #195
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I've done knuckles and bushings of that nature on other cars and they're big improvements. My GTI had rubber voids in the LCA bushing and upgrading to the Mk4 R32 LCA bushings (solid rubber) was a big improvement. Camber is good ;)

Also, sounds like the mods have started you on the slow decline to having a racecar and not a street car.... I tease
Old 06-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #196
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I've done knuckles and bushings of that nature on other cars and they're big improvements. My GTI had rubber voids in the LCA bushing and upgrading to the Mk4 R32 LCA bushings (solid rubber) was a big improvement. Camber is good ;)

Also, sounds like the mods have started you on the slow decline to having a racecar and not a street car.... I tease
Nice, how hard were they to install?

Yeah, the rear LCA bushing on the front control arms, the alum. subframe, the knuckles and these brakes are the main changes from the Clubsport S.

Obvious that VW went after the weight on the front of the car with these changes and focused on increasing the grip to cut down on FWD understeer.

Alum subframe reduces 7 lbs, the brake rotors another 5 lbs, no backseat was another 30 lbs or so.

My R is about 400 lbs heavier than the Clubsport S, but having all wheel drive and the DSG is about 350 of that. These Performance Pack parts and the Clubsport additions will cut down on the 50 lbs delta while giving the front end similar grip.

The Pretoria wheels are 22 lbs each, so they're right in line with what comes on the CSS.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-14-2020, 10:11 PM   #197
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

On the Mk2 it was a press in bushing... so it sucked, lol. The knuckles may be annoying to get off of the shocks, but... meh.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #198
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Very cool man! I’ll have to take a look once it gets to that point. Going to roll with the Performance Pack parts for a bit first as the subframe, hubs and bushings get a little more involved. Plus, the R is so good to me as is haha

Today I used VCDS to program the reverse screen overlay to come on. More info about this can be found here:
https://youtu.be/3cXgCkyHsfk

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-21-2020, 04:09 PM   #199
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

That's a really neat feature!
Old 06-22-2020, 10:11 AM   #200
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
That's a really neat feature!
Thanks! Yeah I agree, the parking sensors work really well and now I don’t have to hit the Menu button to see it!

The Performance Pack / Clubsport S brake rotors and F/R brake pads were delivered today. Going to put those on soon.

No update yet on the Akrapovic from cars245. Last update was that they were having internal billing system issues since I made three separate payments towards the shipping and exhaust cost as they switched suppliers.

I will check in again this week with them to see if there’s any update.

/
/
/
/
/