TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Ask The Law
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:
88 Merkur XR4Ti | 92 Mazda MX3 | 98 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer | 91 Ford Ranger89 | 89 Yamaha FZR600

Send a message via ICQ to R22B Send a message via AIM to R22B
A few questions

I have a few questions regarding multiple things. I drive an hour to work and an hour home every day and I’m getting tired of encountering idiots.

Ambulances on the highway:
First Scenario:
I just got off Route 22 and was on 378. Then I spotted an ambulance with its lights on behind me (like a mile or so). There were a few cars between the ambulance and I but no one seemed to get over to let them pass.

I merged into the right lane and slowed down a little figuring that’s what I should do, but then everyone behind me just passed me and never got over. Are those people idiots and breaking the law or am I just nice?

Second Scenario:
This also happened on 378. I was heading towards St. Lukes hospital and I merged over for an ambulance (it was pretty dead that day – no pun), and then after it passed, I got right behind it. I don’t know, it just felt REALLY awkward following an ambulance. Nothing like seeing EMT’s punching on a guy’s chest to resuscitate them. Is there a minimum distance that I should adhere to? I stayed a good distance back, as I felt it was disrespectful to follow them so close and watch the person struggle for their life.

Hi-Beams:
I have issues driving behind people over long distances (20+ miles)… especially during winter. Those little stones and the salt isn’t Subaru’s best friend. Plus, I get stuck behind people that enjoy going 30 in a 45 like you wouldn’t believe (happens at least once a week on my way home on Route 248). In applicable spots (passing areas/more than one lane), I’ll get on it to pass them so I don’t have to be behind them. I used to have really bad road rage in my younger days, but now I try to resort to putting the radio on 40 and blasting Bad Religion.

However, I’ve been noticing that when I do this, some people feel the urge to put on their hi-beams and leave them on until a car driving in the opposite direction comes. As soon as that car passes, they flick back on their hi-beams. It wasn’t a huge deal when my car was tinted, but now that it is off, it’s freaking annoying and hampers driving at night. What can I do about this? I’ve tried non-aggressive ways like speeding up to they are out of sight (but then the issue is breaking the speed limit) and slowing down to 10 under the speed limit but it doesn’t work. I’d rather not pull over, let them pass and flick on my hi-beams because two wrongs don’t make a right and then I’d be stuck behind them anyways.

I really don’t want to call 911 because it’s not an emergency. Should I just let them pass, get their tag numbers and then report aggressive driving? I mean, I could take video of it but it’s not like that would help any?

Drunk Drivers:
On my late night excursions home from Bethlehem (currently living in Slatington), I see countless amounts of intoxicated drivers on 248. I sway back and forth a lot and I’m not drunk, but some of these drivers are clearly over the limit (swerving beyond the double yellow and kicking up dirt on the side of the road). What is the best way to report these people? Again, I don’t want to call 911 because it’s not an emergency and since I’m crossing multiple areas, I don’t know who to call.

Riding my ass:
This is just annoying as all hell and probably has some safety issues. People that ride my ass are annoying. I’m talking about a 5 foot to 10 foot gap between my rear bumper and their front bumper. I can pull over, but is there anything else I can do besides slowing down/speeding up? I know if I forcely press the brake pedal, that usually makes them back up a bit but I’d rather not put my rear bumper at risk.

Throwing crap at my car:
What should I do if someone throws something out there car at my car? Like a bottle or something? I’d like to put them into a telephone pole but I just can’t do that. Any advice?
Old 03-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Bane
[TST] Police Officer

Member #8526

My Ride:
Will P.I.T. you

1. Yes §3325 states drivers must yield the right of way to emergency vehicles

2. Maintain a 500 foot gap between you and emergency vehicles

3. Your not really going to accomplish anything, pretty much have to deal with it, yes you are suppose to dim your light 300 feet behind another car and 500 feet to an oncoming car but reporting someone with their high beams on isn't going to do anything.

4. Calling 911 is your best bet for most situations the dispatcher will redirect you if its a non emergency call and you will speak with a police officer. Drunk drivers are a definitely a call to 911, describe the vehicle, situation etc. I'm not saying call 911 if they cross the double yellow once, but if they have failed to maintain there lane for a significant period of time or have done something else that would indicate they are intoxicated then by all means call.

5. Best shot is to let them pass you

6. If they flick a cigerette butt and it hits your car then no there isnt really anything you can do, if they throw a cinder block out the window then yes call someone.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:
88 Merkur XR4Ti | 92 Mazda MX3 | 98 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer | 91 Ford Ranger89 | 89 Yamaha FZR600

Send a message via ICQ to R22B Send a message via AIM to R22B
Quote:
1. Yes §3325 states drivers must yield the right of way to emergency vehicles

2. Maintain a 500 foot gap between you and emergency vehicles
Okay, good to see I did the right thing.

Quote:
3. Your not really going to accomplish anything, pretty much have to deal with it, yes you are suppose to dim your light 300 feet behind another car and 500 feet to an oncoming car but reporting someone with their high beams on isn't going to do anything.
It's so annoying

Quote:
4. Calling 911 is your best bet for most situations the dispatcher will redirect you if its a non emergency call and you will speak with a police officer. Drunk drivers are a definitely a call to 911, describe the vehicle, situation etc. I'm not saying call 911 if they cross the double yellow once, but if they have failed to maintain there lane for a significant period of time or have done something else that would indicate they are intoxicated then by all means call.
Yeah, I swerve back and forth a lot naturally. You can DEFINITELY tell when something is up. Rte 248 is really bad around midnight.

Quote:
5. Best shot is to let them pass you
Will do from now on.

Quote:
6. If they flick a cigerette butt and it hits your car then no there isnt really anything you can do, if they throw a cinder block out the window then yes call someone.
[/QUOTE]
Good to know. My fiancee's SUV was hit with coffee and luckily her dad wasn't driving because her dad broke the door and seat from being so angry trying to get out of the vehicle.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, I really appreciate it.