TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Drifting
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #41
Reese
Tri-State Addict

Member #19347

My Ride:
TST Since Oct. 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxinprogress View Post
Haha I didn't mean that I wanted to find videos to learn, just to get a feel for how the different events go and see what goes down at them. I didn't think I was gonna learn by watching how to videos haha
If your car is ready for freedom moves and you drive on sunday then just find me and i will teach you.......i can explain the process until im blue in the face on the forums but if you show up ill just show you and have you sliding but the end of the day...

My

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
yo! --
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #42
Reese
Tri-State Addict

Member #19347

My Ride:
TST Since Oct. 2006

i really wish i could hold a small clinic...somewhere.

My

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
yo! --
Old 08-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #43
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
i really wish i could hold a small clinic...somewhere.
Depends how far you want to drive. The oval is still around and if you keep it small I could set something up for you... problem is the distance.

Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #44
Reese
Tri-State Addict

Member #19347

My Ride:
TST Since Oct. 2006

yeah i thought about it but in order for me to go up there i would need to be convinced people would go....

My

yo! --
Old 08-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #45
kunt_masha
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #671

My Ride:
wide low dumb e30, heavy slow 350z

Send a message via AIM to kunt_masha
throw on a 42r and youll be fine

reese - do it!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #46
240sxinprogress
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #21572

My Ride:
2005 Chevy Cobalt LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
If your car is ready for freedom moves and you drive on sunday then just find me and i will teach you.......i can explain the process until im blue in the face on the forums but if you show up ill just show you and have you sliding but the end of the day...
Really? That would be amazing, but unfortunately, the 240sx I was planning on purchasing was taken off the market, so now I'm back to square one looking for a car, although I do have another one in my sights but it still wouldn't bE close to ready in timE for freedom moves.but once it is ready and if you decided to have a clinic id definitely be t here ...quick question once my car is ready ill be gointhrough a lot of tires ive been trying to figure outwat kind and wat size... Because my car womt be very powerful rite awayi wud think I shud get thinner tires just so its easier to break traction, bur I'm provably wrong lol.. Wat tyoe and size do u think I shud use oe wat kind do u use? Thanks for allthe help...
240sxinprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #47
JLAWDET
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #19814

My Ride:
89 240sx hatch

I daily mine all the time. its my only car. its sees limiter and tires smoke daily as well lol change your oil regularly, keep up to date on maintenace and buy nice **** n youll be fine. it sucks driving in winter time but i drove it everyday last winter and didnt miss a single day of work. i love my car lol its all in what u want to do. Boost is best too IMO
JLAWDET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #48
Will@R/TTuning
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14734

My Ride:
1991 Nissan 240SX (S13)

REESE... Im down for something small...

Seat time is the most important part to learning. Its all a matter of time before you get to a point that your happy with and then you progress from there.

Will@R/TTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #49
supraghost
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7051

My Ride:
2002 5mt IS300, 1995 s14

Send a message via AIM to supraghost
im down for a clinic as well... im sure my gf would be down too

'92 festiva: BP 1.8l DOHC, garret gt2554r, mostly stock otherwise

supraghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #50
Reese
Tri-State Addict

Member #19347

My Ride:
TST Since Oct. 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will@R/TTuning View Post
REESE... Im down for something small...

Seat time is the most important part to learning. Its all a matter of time before you get to a point that your happy with and then you progress from there.
agreed,,imma see what i can find local in PA but something small would be nice

My

yo! --
Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #51
thefro526
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7892

My Ride:
1996 240sx & 1989 240sx Coupe

Send a message via AIM to thefro526
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxinprogress View Post
Actually strike what I said before; Ive been looking at some tutorials on how to weld a diff, and it looks relatively simple, I couldn't do it rite now cuz I don't have a welder but I'm sure I could borrow/rent one. Quick question anybody- do ALL traces of oil need to be out before I weld? And is it necessary to get it sandblasted after welding to remove Any small pieces? Some say yes, some say no, but will it affect the welding in anyway? I wasnt sure so I wanted to check here..
Don't know if anyone answered this but:

You want to TRY to remove ALL of the Gear Oil that you can. Best method I've found was to let the diff drain for an hour or two to let as much of the oil out as possible and then to blast the spider gears with 2-3 cans of brake cleaner. The cleaner the gears are the better your welds will come out.

From there it's just a matter of making sure your welds have proper penetration which can be problematic on lower powered machines since the gears are cast iron and require quite a bit of heat to weld. Most people use a torch to pre-heat the spider gears before welding. Once they're warm they weld like butter.

Also, there are a bunch of ways to weld a diff, and some are stronger than others. The most common method seems to be to weld the spider gears together where they meet and call it a day. Some shops will add gussets to increase the holding capacity of the welds - this is pretty much the best way. See below for picture of gusseted diff.

Also, there's the option of getting a spool. They're ~$400 or so.

Quote:
Also do some things with it, with fro boy's whip.
Quote:
At this rate, though, it'll be 2015 before either of you gets yo whips running right.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #52
icedout
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1105

My Ride:
Supra

i'd be down for a Drift lesson!
icedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #53
jdmwill
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5436

My Ride:
daily s13 slammed drifty ready, drift car ae86 sr20 powered...20" mongoose for fun

daily drove drift set up 240's for the past 4 years. as for set up coilovers, welded diff and a sweet clutch to get you started.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #54
stover
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3483

My Ride:
2005 MINI Cooper S

i dont own a "driftable" car but if you guys held a "clinic" and had a car for people to use if they couldnt supply their own i would totally be in, ive slid my truck in the rain a bunch but id love to get some seat time in a car