TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #121
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Ok going with the SuperPro 24mm kit with endlinks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:02 PM   #122
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Ok going with the SuperPro 24mm kit with endlinks
Great choice

The little tray is a nice touch.
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #123
sleeperSL2
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8422

Send a message via AIM to sleeperSL2
We've crossed paths at Area1320 I believe. lol Always a fan of your build threads. Sub'd again now that I'm back on the forum.

Kyle
sleeperSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #124
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolNat View Post
Great choice

The little tray is a nice touch.
Thank you!

Looking forward to putting it on the car

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #125
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperSL2 View Post
We've crossed paths at Area1320 I believe. lol Always a fan of your build threads. Sub'd again now that I'm back on the forum.
Awesome man, thank you! I'm pretty sure we're on FB too

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-14-2019, 11:42 PM   #126
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Bought the Racingline X-brace.

Won't receive it until late January due to being out of stock.

Now just need the front strut bar to compliment it all.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-16-2019, 11:34 PM   #127
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Noice
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:57 PM   #128
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Bought the Racingline X-brace.

Won't receive it until late January due to being out of stock.

Now just need the front strut bar to compliment it all.
Sweet!!! I have not yet decided what type of rear bracing I want to do.
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #129
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolNat View Post
Sweet!!! I have not yet decided what type of rear bracing I want to do.
I went for the eye candy on mine haha

Will be putting in the RSB this weekend if plans hold. Looks to be an afternoon job with jackstands.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-29-2019, 12:30 PM   #130
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Installed the SuperPro 24mm on full stiff this weekend.

Fairly easy to do, just needed to use the floorjack to raise the control arms/halfshafts to get at the top mounting subframe bolt for the bars. This was also used to provide loading on the suspension when tightening everything down later. No clunks or noises.

Youtube may say dropping the exhaust is not necessary. Technically it's not, but if you're not on a lift it definitely speeds up the process.

Driving impressions:

The comfort setting on the shocks is now much flatter than before. There is less bobble from the rear of the car now too.

Normal and Race are nice too but a little firmer now. I may keep it in Comfort TBH as I'm not sure the stiffened dampers do much now. Still a comfortable car even in Race.

Turn-in is improved, definitely noticeable change. The car overall feels a little more solid now.

Next up will be the rear X brace to tie things down, although I'm not sure it's as needed anymore. Then a front strut bar since the firewall is kind of thin on these cars. Then brakes.

With the chassis firmed up a little bit with one bar, the car does feel a little underpowered for the first time.

I'd say that while the internet makes a big WOW about this mod, it's a 7/10. The factory setup is just too good to make large gains on without serious NVH drawbacks, IMO.

One last note: Unlike the 25mm bar on my old GTI, the R with this 24mm feels properly damped for it. There isn't the crashiness "oh theres a bar back there" feeling with this mod on the R's suspension. It feels a lot more cohesive and doesn't pitch the rear side to side over potholes and bumps either. VW built in some tolerance for extra torsional rigidity back there for sure.

Photos:

I also got the upgraded endlinks since the factory ones are made of plastic.

You can slide the factory bar out around the rear dif and between the exhaust and subframe but it's very tight due to the mounting brackets.

Factory bar is a hollow 21.7mm bar. SuperPro is a solid 24mm bar with adjustability. The VW factory piece is built better but not big enough.

With the exhaust dropped, this bar slides right into place much easier. Although significantly heavier (9lbs or so) than the factory bar.

Full send mode. In reality, I was planning on going with the softer of the two settings to mimic more of a 22mm bar on full stiff, but the endlinks wouldn't fit in that position without a lot of work and since I didn't want to have to do this again in a week or two...went with full anyway.

DIYing this took me 4-6 hours of taking my sweet ass time, truly taking a lot of breaks and taking it easy. It also saved me $488 vs. the local shop quote that I got.

Mod rating: Do it.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 12-29-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:04 PM   #131
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Tools used:
16mm wrench
M6 bit
M10 bit
13mm ratchet/wrench

Torque values:
50nm on subframe bracket bolts (33.6 ft lbs)
20nm on endlink to bar nuts (i ratcheted this down tighter to prevent clunks from loosening)
50nm on endlink to control arm bolts (I went full gorilla on these)

The 2 exhaust bolts to lower the muffler portion were ratchet tight plus 180 degrees

I used half of the supplied grease from SuperPro for the two bushings. You can use more. I usually just use Teflon tape here and no grease but used up my last bit on the last swaybar install I did. If it squeaks, I'll go back to using the tape.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-29-2019, 11:31 PM   #132
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Teflon tape FTW!

Looks good. Thanks for adding the tools and torque specs
Old 01-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #133
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Teflon tape FTW!

Looks good. Thanks for adding the tools and torque specs
Thanks! So far so good on squeaking, it's been about 200 miles with a lot of city driving (potholes, etc).

The Racingline X-Brace is set to arrive in 3 weeks. I'm excited to get that on and have emailed them to see if they have any plans for a front strut brace since their stuff looks so damn good on Audi.

The stuff from Eurocode is effective, maybe more so, but I'm a sucker for nice looks since this isn't a purpose-built track car.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-02-2020, 09:23 PM   #134
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Honestly, it's worth it to get quality parts. I'm so over the "buying cheap stuff cause it's easier to afford than nice stuff" part of my life, it's never worth it in the end.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:08 PM   #135
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Honestly, it's worth it to get quality parts. I'm so over the "buying cheap stuff cause it's easier to afford than nice stuff" part of my life, it's never worth it in the end.
Here's a line I heard a long time ago, and it still rings true to this day.

"Buy once, cry once"
Old 01-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #136
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

So I bought this little guy the other day when I was buying my oil change kit from ECS. 40ish bucks and the results are fantastic. Gives me all the BOV noises I want without the crazy price of one.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:48 AM   #137
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Oh absolutely - the Eurocode stuff is built in the US and high quality too. Racingline just adds some nice form to the function.

Can't go wrong either way since the rain tray covers the front strut bar on these cars.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-12-2020, 12:49 AM   #138
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
Here's a line I heard a long time ago, and it still rings true to this day.

"Buy once, cry once"
That's how I felt buying and selling the 911.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-12-2020, 12:49 AM   #139
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post

So I bought this little guy the other day when I was buying my oil change kit from ECS. 40ish bucks and the results are fantastic. Gives me all the BOV noises I want without the crazy price of one.
Awesome! Not bad for $40!

Turboooooo

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-12-2020, 12:50 AM   #140
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

SuperPro RSB is clunking on me. I knew I should have put on the teflon tape!

Picked up some rhino ramps to redo the job tomorrow. Fun fun..

/
/
/
/
/