TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #61
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

sunshade fits great! and the added foam backing is a nice bonus!
Old 07-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #62
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolNat View Post
I am actually in the market for a sunshade so thanks for the pics . I love a black interior but man does it get hot in the summer!

Nice looking spoiler addition and that 12V socket is a nice touch. Mine is hidden in my little cubby thing under a door and I hardly use it.
Haha you're welcome, thanks to Big Jim for the request.

Yeah, it was an $8 change for something I hardly notice but figured what the hell.

Your journal definitely has a lot more to it, I'm hoping to start the real mods before summer ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
sunshade fits great! and the added foam backing is a nice bonus!
Yes it is! Its going to keep the interior protected nicely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:01 PM   #63
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Swapped on the Performance Pack caliper plates tonight. What do you guys think? (sorry about the lighting)

Factory:

Performance Pack:

Another shot of the rear lip spoiler:

Overall with Golf R Performance Pack rear lip spoiler and brake caliper plates:

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #64
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Man that is a nice sun shade! I have one since I park my car regularly in the sun at work when I go on trips, but it doesn't fit as well. I got it from walmart while in SW Oklahoma for a few months because the temperatures there were insane. I might have to pick that up.

I like the new plates, I have the PP so we have the same front brakes but mine don't have plates.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #65
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
Man that is a nice sun shade! I have one since I park my car regularly in the sun at work when I go on trips, but it doesn't fit as well. I got it from walmart while in SW Oklahoma for a few months because the temperatures there were insane. I might have to pick that up.

I like the new plates, I have the PP so we have the same front brakes but mine don't have plates.
Thank you! Yeah for $32, hard to beat it.

The GTI doesn’t have removable caliper plates? Wow didn’t know that!

I’m on the fence with them. Could go either way to be honest.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #66
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

I don't think it has plates on it period. I'll remember to look next time I have the wheel off. I imagine it has to have a room to put plates on since they are the golf R front brakes.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #67
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

i like how the plates pop, but i also like how the factory ones blend.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #68
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:

Thank you! VW did it right!
I got one for $56 from Amazon for my wife's Jeep and it's not quite this nice.
Makes a huge difference for sure.

So I looked closer at the GTI PP brakes and that plate does indeed exist on them. It's just painted red and has the GTI logo on your model. Same brakes though

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #69
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
i like how the plates pop, but i also like how the factory ones blend.
That is exactly what I'm thinking. Haha....they're both good for different reasons! Not sure which I'll keep on. Easy 20 minute swap, wheels are light.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #70
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Floored the car last night coming home (had been driving for 2 hours or more), and smelled oil coming through the vents.

Appears to be PCV related. Will mention it at next service date at 10k miles.

This car feels so slow

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 07-16-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #71
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Need a tune!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:40 AM   #72
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Yes just go to Stage 2
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #73
Jane
Noob-Jersey

Member #28088

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Full reveal:

(No bumpers were harmed in the mounting of the front plate)

2019 Golf R w/ DSG and the 19" split 5-spoke gloss black alloy wheels package in Lapiz Blue (R's heritage color)

This comes with the Digital Cockpit Dash Display, Dynamic Chassis Control, the updated 7-speed DSG, with full Safety Assist functionality- Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist, Park Pilot, Pedestrian Detection (All of which can be disabled).

I also opted for the full maintenance plans to save some money out of pocket later. This covers all the oil changes and regular maintenance along with brake rotors, pads, hoses, belts, etc. It's all done through VW so that I can take the car to any VW dealer and be covered. Since I used to work at VWoA, I've already asked about getting some parts from Germany to add the R Performance Pack to it too.

Purpose of this move:
Reduce my car expenditures from 2 cars into 1 thats covered by warranty and isn't inconvenient to drive like the ZL1. Have a better commuter car for the twice a week trips from Richmond to DC for work or the twice a month trips to Raleigh from Richmond. Use active safety features to keep the car moving through traffic and highway driving to lessen fatigue. Have bumper to bumper warranty and maintenance coverage for 6 years, 72k miles.

As a performance platform:
0-60 in 4.6 seconds, traps around 103-104 mph. Can be outdone by a Type R or Focus RS but offers huge tuning potential and large aftermarket support (APR, Bilstein, StopTech, etc.) I won't be modifying this one much (sort of like the ZL1) because I'd like to keep the warranty going for awhile.

My plans: DC-area autocross and a few HPDEs would be nice. Definitely want to go down to the Tail of the Dragon (surrounding roads especially) too. I'm envisioning this car as being the best of both worlds for what I'd like to do, year-round. Frankly, this is the car I should have gotten in the very beginning when I sold off the GTI and 911. I wasn't a huge fan of it's styling at the time, but the refresh in 2018 gave the R a more aggressive look which is more of what I like.

After having two 6th gen Camaros, this is a huge change. There is noticeable throttle lag while the turbo spools up, which I will need to learn to downshift to mitigate. I am already missing having a manual transmission, but the manual trans for the car is severely limited by a poor clutch and for a commuter, the DSG just made more sense.

I can suddenly park a car again...nice benefit to going to something I can see out of The steering and adaptive suspension are a similar feel around town to the Camaro, although I think the Camaro was definitely stiffer in Sport/Track mode with it's adaptive dampers. Body motions are controlled better in the R for street driving.

In some ways, this feels like I'm coming home a little bit. It's not big, bulky, awkward to get into or hard to see out of. I don't actively avoid trying to park the car in garages or on the street. Plus, the fuel economy is hilariously better, despite what the sticker says. The stereo/infotainment/technology is clearly much better too.

More to come!
Wow, what a noble color! just for the sake of this color, you can buy this car!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:15 PM   #74
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Need a tune!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolNat View Post
Yes just go to Stage 2
6 years of warranty coverage...

I'll do it eventually

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #75
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Wow, what a noble color! just for the sake of this color, you can buy this car!
What are your hopes and dreams?

Um

Why? but why? why?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-20-2019, 06:01 AM   #76
Jane
Noob-Jersey

Member #28088

Quote:
What are your hopes and dreams?

Um

Why? but why? why?
This one would be the perfect
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:32 PM   #77
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

Quote:
Floored the car last night coming home (had been driving for 2 hours or more), and smelled oil coming through the vents.

Appears to be PCV related. Will mention it at next service date at 10k miles.

This car feels so slow
I occasionally smell oil as well when i first turn on my HVAC. No drips or drops anywhere and nothing shows on the stick. Lemme know what they tell you.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #78
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I occasionally smell oil as well when i first turn on my HVAC. No drips or drops anywhere and nothing shows on the stick. Lemme know what they tell you.
Weird, ever look at your PVC?

It happened when i floored the car out of a toll booth after I was driving for a solid 2 hours on the highway.

I've tried to recreate it but so far so good. Maybe something from assembly burned off.

I did hit a horrible pothole on the highway yesterday and now I have squeaking from the front strut towers. The wheels might have gotten tweaked from it but they're still holding air.

Need to take it to the dealer...have the wheel warranty on the Pretorias for this very reason.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #79
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

Quote:
Weird, ever look at your PVC?

It happened when i floored the car out of a toll booth after I was driving for a solid 2 hours on the highway.

I've tried to recreate it but so far so good. Maybe something from assembly burned off.

I did hit a horrible pothole on the highway yesterday and now I have squeaking from the front strut towers. The wheels might have gotten tweaked from it but they're still holding air.

Need to take it to the dealer...have the wheel warranty on the Pretorias for this very reason.
Looked at everything. Nothing out of the ordinary. Chalked it up to me probably spilling last oil change and its slowly burning off
Old 07-26-2019, 09:40 PM   #80
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Looked at everything. Nothing out of the ordinary. Chalked it up to me probably spilling last oil change and its slowly burning off
ok good!

/
/
/
/
/