TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #1
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
'22 Subaru BRZ

Placeholder picture/teaser for now.

I got to drive Simmons' new BRZ on Saturday and I'm really excited for mine to arrive shortly now!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #2
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Picked up an XForce 2.5" resonated exhaust on Black Friday sale. Super happy with their exhaust on my RX-8, figured I'd try their 86 offering. Still waiting for my car to get here but whatever.

Came with two sets of tips, which is cool.

Packaging is, uh, "fine" at best. Half the cost of most 86 exhausts though...

Quality looks pretty good though! My RX-8 exhaust has held up well on track and daily driving so I suspect this will be good too. The RX-8 has a LOT higher exhaust temps than most cars and puts a beating on cheap crap.

2017 build date, guessing these don't sell quickly.

They mill the flanges flat after welding, a nice touch.

I just hope it fits as well as the RX-8 exhaust did! I did order some 1/2" split shaft collars like what Perrin uses so I can center the exhaust nicely in the openings. Otherwise, should be good to go whenever I get my car. I'll post videos and such.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:53 PM   #3
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Oooooooooohhhhhh

Looking forward to your review vs. your old BRZ!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:08 PM   #4
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Oooooooooohhhhhh

Looking forward to your review vs. your old BRZ!!
Initial review from driving Simmons' is that it just feels a lot more premium and more solid.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:11 PM   #5
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

ooooh, this excites me!
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 06:21 PM   #6
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Old 12-19-2021, 05:35 PM   #7
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Boo, turns out the xforce exhaust doesn't fit
Old 12-19-2021, 08:31 PM   #8
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Super jelly of the car- excited to see your "usual" build/enjoyment! Sucks the exhaust doesn't fit.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:18 AM   #9
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Ohhhh

How does it compare to the RX8?

:D

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #10
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

So the contact was the plastic piece with the two square holes in it. You can see how an exhaust with the flange off to the side could contact it, especially if the flange sits wider than the outlet pipe.

I've gone ahead and ordered a Perrin 2.5" resonated exhaust, it will take a while to get here sadly as they're not in stock.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:38 PM   #11
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

The car is just... wow. VERY good. The power difference vs the first gen is stark, haha. I drove it back to back vs my buddy's FR-S that has a header & tune and coilovers and such. It's really interesting that the new car feels nearly as stiff but just more comfy. Interior changes are huge and generally fantastic while some are a little, uh, odd. It just feels like a really premium experience. Still a cheap car with some of the materials choices but I'm thrilled. Lower seat has more bolstering than before while the upper seat just seems slightly more aggressive in how it pushes on my shoulders/upper back. Not uncomfortable, just different. Rear seats seem even less useful than before for adults, somehow. Trunk opening is narrower or something. I want STI/Group N motor mounts again, the stock mounts are soft and fairly pathetic yet again.

Fuel economy seems pretty darn good so far, though the cluster seems very pessimistic, haha.

Compared to the RX-8 it's night and day. The RX-8 is super fun, but definitely a much older car. It feels like a different decade even vs the first gen twin, which makes sense for when they were developed. The RX-8 is faster than my buddy's first gen twin, but slower than the new twin by a lot. RX-8 just feels a lot more aggressive, but in good ways.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:41 PM   #12
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I've got a few hundred miles so far and a lot of seat time. I had a BRZ before and a few other comparable cars and some less than comparable, haha.

My initial thoughts on things so far! Really enjoying the car, glad Subaru/Toyota refreshed it.

The whole car just feels premium vs the first gen, in pretty much every way. The top of the dash is hard plastic now I think, which is kinda lame. Some of the ergo choices are a bit odd (thinking of the door handles in particular), but generally all really good. Materials are still "cheap car" but used well so it doesn't feel cheap. The center console/armrest seems totally fine to me. I do wish it had a power port there, but whatever. I love that it can close on my phone cable totally fine so I can still have my phone out and connected to Android Auto. Cupholders themselves seem... fine? I wish there was a nicer place to put my phone, there really should be a pocket under the HVAC controls.

Audio quality seems "fine" at best which is totally fine for me. I haven't felt a need to play with the EQ yet, but it could definitely use a bit more bass. Actual speaker quality seems good for a stock system, sounds pretty clear. The radio interface is very busy looking but works well. Android Auto integration is great. Super smooth and responsive which is the most important thing to me with a radio interface. The backup camera is great during the day, but pretty trash at night as the backup lights wash out everything in view.

The turn signals are fine. Totally fine. I wish there was a bit more of a detent to bump against when doing a tap-turn lane change but it's fine. Going back to a normal car now feels weird, haha.

The high beam stalk operation is really annoying to me. Every other car I've ever driven was push to turn the high beams on, then push again to turn them off (or pull the stalk back to center on older cars) but the BRZ returns to center then you need to pull towards you to turn them off. It feels super weird pulling from the center position to turn them off. Not sure why this is so annoying, but it is.

The actual headlights are "fine" with a decent spread of light. The dead spot from the anode is not ideal but whatever. High beams are also "fine" with a better spread than the first gen HIDs but not really that great.

The active sound thingy is a bit too loud IMO. I don't mind it in normal driving but rev it out or even higher speed highway driving and it's just making noise for no good reason. I can't wait to get an exhaust on the car and turn it off, tbh. If you're leaving the car stock it would be amazing to have an option to cut the volume down a lot but leave it on. I'd imagine with the active sound turned off the car would be way too quiet.

The trunk opening is a bit narrower, I think. Seems to have the same interior space though, and no spare tire so there's some storage under the trunk floor now too.

Seats are still great. There's definitely more bolster along your thigh and the upper back area feels like it's a bit stiffer/more supportive. Headrests seem to be a bit further away which is nice for those of us that autocross/track our cars. They're still really supportive and comfortable though the materials on the base seats are pretty "meh" feeling vs the first gen BRZ seats (they do feel nicer than the materials of the first gen FR-S seats)

The steering feels heavier than a first gen at all times, but loads up a bit less mid corner so there's a bit less "feel" but more weight. It's fine, but doesn't feel quite as light on its feet and communicative. Still super responsive and easy to place the car.

The new suspension tuning feels really nice. Shocks have been dyno'd by RCE and they have similar compression to my RX-8's coilovers, so they're surprisingly stiff and responsive. Balance feels pretty good on the off ramps I've taken so far. Primacies still kinda suck, but duh?

Brakes feel good, though I find them mildly difficult to get used to vs my RX-8 or ND Miata. The brake pedal seems more responsive when you get on it quickly vs just a smooth roll on to the brakes, slightly odd. I haven't accidentally hit the stupid "panic assist" nonsense yet, nor ice mode. We'll see what happens when I autocross/track though.

Throttle response is great, sometimes it seems really numb to heel-toe blips though. When you lift off the throttle the ECU really smooths out the sudden drop in throttle which makes it smooth and easy to drive around but also kind of annoying. Driving the car harder this seems to be less of an issue.

Power & power delivery is fantastic. Just what the car needed IMO. There's still a mild torque dip but *nowhere* near as bad as the first gen. Sorta feels like a heavily tuned stock first gen, dip wise. Header & tune will fix that right up and surely make power

Shift feel is very "strong" feeling. The detent springs feel like what a first gen felt like with the MTEC springs, I guess. Still engages nicely and smoothly. A bit stiff when it's cold, but better than the first gen.

Fuel economy seems solid so far. I'm averaging about 23 mpg, I suspect I'll stay around that figure. About what I got on the first gen, I think I got around 24 mpg. Highway fuel economy still seems to be a bit over 30 mpg, so not much change there. There are a lot more underbody aero pieces now so surely that helps. Maybe marginally worse fuel economy overall than the first gen? Worthwhile trade off for the power gains! As a comparison my RX-8 gets ~15 mpg on my commute and ~20 mpg on the highway (in STX autocross trim) while my ND got ~26 mpg on my commute and ~35 mpg on the highway (in STR autocross trim)

I already want motor/diff mount upgrades. The stock motor mounts & diff mounts are hilariously soft. Makes it fairly annoying pulling away from a stop because you don't feel the drivetrain load up as you release the clutch.

Speaking of the clutch, clutch feel is similar to the first gen. I suspect it will benefit a lot from the slave cylinder mod as the first gen car, my buddy's FR-S has that and it's well worth it.

Looks are subjective, but I really really like the looks of the new gen. I do prefer the GR86 front bumper, but Subaru is awesome to work with and I love WRB, haha. The front fender bulges are still great, it makes it easy to place the car with them in your peripheral vision, that was the first thing my fiancee commented on when she drove it around!

Compared to my RX-8 the new BRZ is night and day. The RX-8 is super fun, but definitely a much older car. It feels like a different decade even vs the first gen twin, which makes sense for when they were developed. The RX-8 is faster than my buddy's first gen twin, but slower than the new twin by a lot. RX-8 just feels a lot more aggressive, but in good ways. My RX-8 is fairly modded, but not at the same time. Poly motor mounts and diff mounts, catback, coilovers, camber bushings, front swaybar, intake, tune and that's it. The RX-8 transmission feels like complete crap, super notchy and sorta crunchy into gears when it's cold (brand new trans and clutch too!). RX-8 has a very fun powerband and super addictive noise, so I always want to rev it out and my fuel economy is trash haha. It's definitely slower than the new twin, but the power delivery is *sooo* fun. The RX-8 brakes are a bit touchy vs the BRZ, even with stock pads, but the stock pads are also totally fine on track even on hot days in back to back sessions so I can't complain! RX-8 rides very well considering the spring rates in use (thanks Shaftworks USA!) and no doubt has fantastic suspension, but the twin is shockingly close to the same feel when driving the car hard, assuming you ignore the extra body roll and such. Driver inputs feel the same, which is awesome.

Compared to my prior ND2 Miata, the new twin feels both more expensive and less expensive in a lot of different ways. The ND interior styling is on point and everything feels really nice... Except for where it's clearly *really* cheap. It's hard to compare totally stock versus totally stock as I had MCS shocks on the ND within a month or two, but the ND seemed to absorb large bumps better but it was super floaty and *very* soft so no surprise there. The ND powerband was smoother but felt slower because of it. Straight line acceleration is about identical, but the BRZ feels more dramatic because of the slight torque dip I guess. ND steering feel was nearly non-existent and the twins is miles better. ND was easier to hustle along a back road, the pedal placement and ease of use was *perfect* for heel-toe and such. BRZ is still really really good, but I think it needs a tune to turn off some of the emissions BS that dulls the throttle response in certain situations. ND shifter was definitely not as notchy/less stiff detents but it was also always sorta mechanical feeling and you felt things working to get into gear. The BRZ is more notchy but filters out all of that mechanical feel as it slots into gear. Both cars were different but still great. The BRZ is definitely a more practical car, even with the fairly useless rear seats. The ND wasn't supposed to be a practical car and it always carried everything I ever wanted until I was moving, so I can't complain at all!

Old 12-22-2021, 12:27 PM   #13
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Amazing write-up! Felt like I was driving the cars back to back to back!

It really sounds like the new twins are complete winners and great steps forward for the nameplates. I also like how clean the chassis and suspension still are on yours

Since you're tracking/autocrossing this car, what are your plans for where it needs help?

Header/Tune/Catback/Mounts/Wheels/Tires/Brakes?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-26-2021, 03:27 PM   #14
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Amazing write-up! Felt like I was driving the cars back to back to back!

It really sounds like the new twins are complete winners and great steps forward for the nameplates. I also like how clean the chassis and suspension still are on yours

Since you're tracking/autocrossing this car, what are your plans for where it needs help?

Header/Tune/Catback/Mounts/Wheels/Tires/Brakes?
Thanks Dave! I love writing it up like this, I'm no pro but it's fun

My plan is pretty simple, mounts/wheels/tires/header/tune/exhaust/coilovers/front swaybar/brake pads (maybe BBK eventually but meh)

Less stuff than I had before, but still pretty modded. It definitely would be a weapon with stock suspension with camber bolts up front but it really needs camber plates to get enough camber.
Old 12-26-2021, 03:28 PM   #15
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I installed the OEM crash bolts. I got around -1.3 degrees of camber on both sides with my camber gauge. Toe was nearly unchanged, as it was on the first gen.

Old 12-26-2021, 10:31 PM   #16
856jersey
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #11382

My Ride:
81 VW Rabbit Pickup & 91 MX-5 Special Edition

looking good!
856jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 02:08 PM   #17
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Thanks!

Measured and confirmed the 2017+ air filters will work, not that the drop ins really offer a power advantage anyway. There's a neat post air filter filter.

Old 01-16-2022, 03:44 PM   #18
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Got up to two things today! Received my new wheels, 17x9 ET45 Enkei TS-V in Storm Gray. I'm really excited to see them on the car properly especially with my incoming coilovers from Shaftworks USA!

I installed Eibach's 10mm extended stud/spacer kit using the balljoint spreader tool method on my 2022 BRZ today. Pretty simple as it is on the first gen or most other cars. Warning though, the 2022+ BRZ with aluminum knuckles uses different torque specs than first gens (now 88.5 ft-lbs for the two caliper bracket/knuckle bolts and 70.1 ft-lbs for the four hub/knuckle bolts) but more annoyingly, the knuckle is in the way and there's no way to install extended studs without pulling the hub. Not a huge deal and overall pretty simple!

Last edited by DocWalt; 01-16-2022 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:04 PM   #19
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

^^ guessing the automatic image resizer on the forum broke, sorry...

Whiteline diff bushing inserts, I skipped the diff outrigger bushing inserts as they made horrible diff whine on my first gen. Easy install, though if you're lazy like my you need to yank on the swaybar to make enough room for the lower bolt on the one side of the diff. Easy enough!

Wheelhop is minimized now, I'll test the subframe bushing inserts at some point in the next few months to see if it's eliminated.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:04 AM   #20
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Installed Whiteline's subframe bushing insert kit. Seems to fit fine even with the new swaybar mounting on the BRZ. It will definitely fit fine on the GR86.

There's definitely a bit of NVH, but the rear end of the car feels more connected. Trade offs!