TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-18-2020, 09:12 AM   #161
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Trunk Spoiler?

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:40 PM   #162
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Yep, BSP-lite prep
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:15 PM   #163
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Yep, BSP-lite prep
Does that mean purple crack?

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 02-18-2020, 04:24 PM   #164
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Indeed. Whenever I buy yet another set of wheels and some 225 A7s
Old 02-23-2020, 12:53 AM   #165
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Been working with Karcepts on a tune for the ND2s for a few months now... Like 99.9% done finally! Celebrated with some fresh 93 octane, my local gas station finally has 93, saves me 10-15 minute trip to get the high octane

Old 02-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #166
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

Quote:
Been working with Karcepts on a tune for the ND2s for a few months now... Like 99.9% done finally! Celebrated with some fresh 93 octane, my local gas station finally has 93, saves me 10-15 minute trip to get the high octane

So friggin awesome. I can't wait to see this thing tear it up at the Meadowlands.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:52 PM   #167
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Coolest Miata ever

/
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #168
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Man, lots of way cooler Miatas

Bates, I'm definitely hoping to be there often!
Old 02-26-2020, 11:44 AM   #169
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
Man, lots of way cooler Miatas

Bates, I'm definitely hoping to be there often!
I’m hoping to toss around my slow Z at the end of March so let me know if you are going.

Also since you would probably know, are open face helms banned in NJ? My buddy told me they were but I can’t find anything (other than Etown) banning them.

I need a new helm and thought an open faced one would be more glasses friendly... and cheaper.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:42 PM   #170
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I'm not sure if NJ has special laws, but it seems to be moving towards only allowing Snell SA helmets.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:54 PM   #171
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Openface restriction would be news to me. That's what I use and like that I can talk to people with it on, pick my nose, etc.

The SCCA allows open face, so it would be a NNJR specific requirement.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 03-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #172
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I installed the AWR motor mounts today. I had Tony from AWR get some "custom" softer inserts for the mounts, 62 durometer instead of their normal 70, 88, or 95 duromater options.

They're a good deal heavier than stock because they're made of steel. They won't break when you launch it or sky it off curbs

The install was straight forward. The only real special torque spec you need is the 50 ft-lbs for the cross bolt through the mount. The rest of the hardware just gets torqued to OEM spec (~28 ft-lbs works for the 6 bolts and two nuts)

NVH isn't bad. Definitely noticeable vibration at idle and there's a good bit of "tingle" in the pedals at lower RPM cruising (like when the cluster aggressively tells you to upshift to 6th at 30 mph...) and the wheel and seat have a bit of a constant vibration. Highway cruising isn't a noticeable difference from stock. When on the throttle hard or higher in the revs it just feels like the engine is more solidly connected to the car and any vibration is high frequency and not really in your face. Absolutely no new noises or anything like that. I've had a wide range of mounts on my prior cars from literally solid aluminum mounts to soft STI Group N mounts so I feel like I have a decent level of experience with different mounts and these are solidly in the middle of my experiences.

Now for how they perform... Damn If you've ever launched an ND at autocross/drag strip/whatever or even on the street you'd know how horrible the wheel hop is. I did diff mount inserts when I installed my OS Giken LSD and it helped a LOT, but man... Holy **** it launches soooo smoothly now! I have never had a car launch like this, just chirp and bit of spin and tracks dead straight. Really fun! On top of the silly launching difference, the way it behaves on throttle transients is massively improved. Less flopping about and it just feels super direct. I love how responsive it feels.

I've had the AWR uppers for a while and Tony whipped up a custom one for me to clear my silly header, great customer service

Old 03-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #173
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
I installed the AWR motor mounts today. I had Tony from AWR get some "custom" softer inserts for the mounts, 62 durometer instead of their normal 70, 88, or 95 duromater options.

They're a good deal heavier than stock because they're made of steel. They won't break when you launch it or sky it off curbs

The install was straight forward. The only real special torque spec you need is the 50 ft-lbs for the cross bolt through the mount. The rest of the hardware just gets torqued to OEM spec (~28 ft-lbs works for the 6 bolts and two nuts)

NVH isn't bad. Definitely noticeable vibration at idle and there's a good bit of "tingle" in the pedals at lower RPM cruising (like when the cluster aggressively tells you to upshift to 6th at 30 mph...) and the wheel and seat have a bit of a constant vibration. Highway cruising isn't a noticeable difference from stock. When on the throttle hard or higher in the revs it just feels like the engine is more solidly connected to the car and any vibration is high frequency and not really in your face. Absolutely no new noises or anything like that. I've had a wide range of mounts on my prior cars from literally solid aluminum mounts to soft STI Group N mounts so I feel like I have a decent level of experience with different mounts and these are solidly in the middle of my experiences.

Now for how they perform... Damn If you've ever launched an ND at autocross/drag strip/whatever or even on the street you'd know how horrible the wheel hop is. I did diff mount inserts when I installed my OS Giken LSD and it helped a LOT, but man... Holy **** it launches soooo smoothly now! I have never had a car launch like this, just chirp and bit of spin and tracks dead straight. Really fun! On top of the silly launching difference, the way it behaves on throttle transients is massively improved. Less flopping about and it just feels super direct. I love how responsive it feels.

I've had the AWR uppers for a while and Tony whipped up a custom one for me to clear my silly header, great customer service

Man I wish I had the time...money... and dedication to spend on an autocross car like you do. I am just beyond jealous. The rate I am going I will be lucky to get the Z out for one event. I am just dying to get it back right now and see how it feels after overhauling the suspension. (mechanic still has it, ran into stupid issues with the coilover install/bent spindle)
Old 03-09-2020, 02:34 PM   #174
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

I remember wheel hop was bad on my srt4, than I change to poly suspension mounts and it was a different car. I always wondered why the factory did not correct it if it was that easy. It nice being able to be aggressive off the line and not worry about a half shaft exploding and filling falling out.

DIdn't realize this was a problem on NDs.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 03-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #175
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
Man I wish I had the time...money... and dedication to spend on an autocross car like you do. I am just beyond jealous. The rate I am going I will be lucky to get the Z out for one event. I am just dying to get it back right now and see how it feels after overhauling the suspension. (mechanic still has it, ran into stupid issues with the coilover install/bent spindle)
Ugh. Always issues with old cars Get it out this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
I remember wheel hop was bad on my srt4, than I change to poly suspension mounts and it was a different car. I always wondered why the factory did not correct it if it was that easy. It nice being able to be aggressive off the line and not worry about a half shaft exploding and filling falling out.

DIdn't realize this was a problem on NDs.
Pretty much every new car, tbh. The FoST and FoRS slam the engine into the firewall when you launch them (not literally, but the rear mount bottoms out and makes horrible noise)

I didn't post a picture of the stock ND mounts but there's heavy usage of plastic, lol.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #176
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Ended up throwing stock motor mounts back in, I was seeing false knock on logs (on top of some real knock as we've been chasing more power)

threw on some new daily driver rubber
Old 03-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #177
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Ended up throwing stock motor mounts back in, I was seeing false knock on logs (on top of some real knock as we've been chasing more power)

threw on some new daily driver rubber
Damn man, sorry to hear that. Those looked really nice!

Is there a way around the launch issues without causing false knock?

/
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:02 PM   #178
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Nah, sadly not much can be done. There are other mounts (fill the stock mounts with poly, but they can still tear apart...) and they likely don't exhibit the same issue, but no way of knowing yet.

Launching as is isn't too bad, just carries risk of tearing apart the motor mounts if it starts hopping.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:20 PM   #179
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

New wheels arrived today Titan 7 T-R8 in 17x9 4x100. Ridiculously light! I'll mount up the autocross tires eventually, but with the season on hold for a while I'm not in a big rush...

Old 05-16-2020, 02:33 PM   #180
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Those look fantastic! Also crazy light for a 17x9, wow.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote