TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
omghaxbbq
Tri-State Training Wheels
Banned

Member #8468

Opinion on a performance shop

1) What do you guys expect from a auto performance shop?

2) What makes you want to go back there?

3) What performance shop do you guys go to? How did you heard about them?
[/FONT]

Last edited by omghaxbbq; 08-16-2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Clarify
omghaxbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
CHAOS
TST Ruined My Life!
Banned

Member #2120

My Ride:
1984 Cadillac Brougham

i expect the same thing i expect from a normal person.

honesty, integrity, and the desire to better yourself.

prices of course, and customer service.

lay away would be bad for the company imo.

i dont physically go to any shops, there arent any around here and the ones that were here are gone.

well actually there are some but they dont do subaru stuff.
CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
BradC
Tri-State Addict

Member #1083

My Ride:
Boosted NA/2000 SAAB 9-5

Send a message via AIM to BradC
Shop as in does work, or shop as in sells parts?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
omghaxbbq
Banned

Member #8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOS View Post
i expect the same thing i expect from a normal person.

honesty, integrity, and the desire to better yourself.

prices of course, and customer service.

lay away would be bad for the company imo.

i dont physically go to any shops, there arent any around here and the ones that were here are gone.

well actually there are some but they dont do subaru stuff.
Where do u live?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
omghaxbbq
Banned

Member #8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Shop as in does work, or shop as in sells parts?
does work and sells parts
Old 08-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
amit
Tri-State Addict

Member #6244

My Ride:
Scooby

Send a message via AIM to amit

Honesty, friendly employees, and as far as products go...i don't know...i only go to import shops so as far that goes, they have to be able to get the uber rare JDM stuff that I so desire

Even more than the prices, it's the customer service. When I go pick up parts I have to feel like I'm gonna go shoot the **** with a good friend or two at the shop, talk about whatever, and then leisurely pay for my parts and be on my way. No pressure, ya know?

3) Do you think layaway will be a good option for you?

No.

4) What performance shop do you guys go to? How did you heard about them?

Street solutions and Elite imports. I found them both through eBay, looked at parts I wanted ,they came up in the search and when I looked at the location it turned out they were very close so buying big parts like seats, bumpers, etc, was much more convenient.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Send a message via AIM to TGilb2007 Send a message via MSN to TGilb2007 Send a message via Yahoo to TGilb2007
Mostly, the people who work there. Price is a huge concern obviously, but I will pay the extra money to get someone who is friendly, but also knowledgeable about their craft.

If I had a shop that I visited regularly, it would depend. I have been to shops with friends that are awesome, and if I had a car that they were a specalist in, yes, i would do it

If I can't afford it now, save, and wait. No layaway

For my own car, I have taken it to Kars Automotive in RI for some work to get done (front main deal, timing belt)
Roommate - Shine Motorsports in MA. Guy is awesome, knows wtf he is doing w/ VW and Audis. Great guy to talk to, and does quality work
Friend - Swift Motorsports in CT. Same reasons as Shine.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
omghaxbbq
Banned

Member #8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

Honesty, friendly employees, and as far as products go...i don't know...i only go to import shops so as far that goes, they have to be able to get the uber rare JDM stuff that I so desire

Even more than the prices, it's the customer service. When I go pick up parts I have to feel like I'm gonna go shoot the **** with a good friend or two at the shop, talk about whatever, and then leisurely pay for my parts and be on my way. No pressure, ya know?

No.

Street solutions and Elite imports. I found them both through eBay, looked at parts I wanted ,they came up in the search and when I looked at the location it turned out they were very close so buying big parts like seats, bumpers, etc, was much more convenient.
Thanks man. So why don't you think layaway is not a good option for u?
Old 08-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
omghaxbbq
Banned

Member #8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGilb2007 View Post
Mostly, the people who work there. Price is a huge concern obviously, but I will pay the extra money to get someone who is friendly, but also knowledgeable about their craft.

If I had a shop that I visited regularly, it would depend. I have been to shops with friends that are awesome, and if I had a car that they were a specalist in, yes, i would do it

If I can't afford it now, save, and wait. No layaway

For my own car, I have taken it to Kars Automotive in RI for some work to get done (front main deal, timing belt)
Roommate - Shine Motorsports in MA. Guy is awesome, knows wtf he is doing w/ VW and Audis. Great guy to talk to, and does quality work
Friend - Swift Motorsports in CT. Same reasons as Shine.
thanks for your opinion. Why do you think layaway is not good for you? Think about if you have something you want to get done so bad but you just never able to because you use the money you saved everytime. You can put your money down at the shop and you can take the money back if you really need it.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
MagicChic
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8402

My Ride:
2006 BMP GTI 2.0T

Quality customer service. Promptness with answering questions, or getting back to me as soon as they can with the RIGHT answer if they don't know. Certified mechanics, organization, clean & professional show room/waiting room, guaranteed work. Quality of parts sold, quick delivery of parts when ordered. No long wait times to get an appointment to have work done. Competitive pricing. Innovation. Keeping the store stocked with items for sale. That way if I see something I want, and want it right now, I can get it when I want it. That's also a good thing for those impulse buyers. Cuz when they see something, you can sell it to them immediately.

Customer service most definitely. And the quality of work performed.

3) Do you think layaway will be a good option for you? Why and why not?
Layaway is just asking for problems for a business. Have the people order their parts up front, and make it clear to them that they HAVE to pay before you will place the order. When the order comes in, call them, and have them pick them up. You could even give the customer the option of having their item shipped to their home. I have always been a strong believer in making people PAY for their items before you place an order. And don't do anyone favors by ordering it, and then hoping they'll come back and pay for it. Unfortunately, there's too many people out there that seem like they're trustworthy, but they're actually dead-beats. You don't want to take too much risk when it comes to that stuff. As far as stuff you already HAVE up for sale. Nope. I still wouldn't offer layaway as an offer. The shop owner can look into a company that makes credit cards for businesses, sign up for it, and then the customer has to sign up for the credit card. So, if they want the item that bad, they can get the credit card to pay for the things they want. This way too, you'll know if they would have paid you too by whether they would be approved for the card or not. (based on credit history.) But if you're nice enough about it, the customer WILL come back and buy it once they get the money.

I go to AWE Tuning in Willow Grove. Their customer service is amazing. I bought a boost gauge that they designed, the face was broken, but we had it installed anyway at another shop. I took the car back to AWE and told them my gauge was broken. They covered it under warranty and installed a new one for me. They also chipped my car for me. I LOVE AWE! I heard about them from my hubby. And he heard about them through our VW dealer.
*35% window tint*TMT aluminum climate control knobs*noise pipe delete*AWE vent boost gauge*18x8 OZ Superturismos (black)*GIAC 91+X-chip*smoked side markers*H&R Supersport 1.9" lowering springs*Euro vents*dBilas CAI*Euro Plate "Wehrmacht"*OSIR CF grab handles*smoked tails*smoked side mirror turn signal lenses*black exhaust tips*German flag roof*black badges*Kenwood touchscreen headunit*

Last edited by MagicChic; 08-16-2008 at 10:12 AM.
MagicChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #11
ImportDPS
Tri-State Addict

Member #3900

My Ride:
2007 Civic Si, 2008 Acura RDX, 1998 Civic Hatch GSR-T, 1993 Civic Hatch K-Series coming

Send a message via AIM to ImportDPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by omghaxbbq View Post

3) Do you think layaway will be a good option for you? Why and why not?

[/FONT]
1. We expect the customer wants to be treated just like we would when we send to get custom parts or even order from another place. That is fair and on point.

2. We have been using our same engine builder (bob) tuner (oso) and chassis /suspension (tito chassis) for years. The reason we go back isn't because there cheap (because they are far from it) but because we know that they are reliable and will do it right. If something has to be done that might cost more but will help, they give it to us straight. Same thing we like to do to our customers.

3. Layaways are for the Kmarts and stuff. Never have and never will like layaways, especially in our business.

4. Well, only because I have too. Import DPS in philadelphia. Were a down to earth, goofy but serious, true import enthusiast shop that sells parts, dyno tunes, fabricates and has probably some of the fastest if not fastest cars at the track. We not only cater to a streetable car, but we have done and will continue to do full out drag cars.
ImportDPS is offline   Reply With Quote