TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Exterior, Interior, and Electrical
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
mrchariybrown
Tri-State Addict

Member #4164

My Ride:
carriages drawn by tiny asian men

Send a message via AIM to mrchariybrown
car audio troubleshooting help

audio crap: aftermarket components, amp, and subwoofer.

problem: at low volume levels, the left or right speaker. goes out. but when I yank the volume up pretty high, they turn back on. sometimes it's the left and sometimes it's the right. completely random each time. sometimes they'll play for a good 5 minutes at low level before one of them goes out. and sometimes one of them goes out within 10 seconds of me having it playing at low volume. when I have the music on a pretty high volume, neither speaker ever goes out.

failed solution(s): someone told me it might be the crossovers, so I replaced them. no luck.

other info: subwoofer never goes out regardless of volume (basically works fine)

got any ideas?

Quote:
i was balls deep in this guy, just pounding the hell out of his ass, and out of nowhere he turns around to try and kiss me and im like "EW WTF YOU FAG"
mrchariybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
namdoogwerdna
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3004

My Ride:
2013 BRZ

What kind of amp and components?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
mrchariybrown
Tri-State Addict

Member #4164

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by namdoogwerdna View Post
What kind of amp and components?
amp is a JBL PX 300.4

Quote:
i was balls deep in this guy, just pounding the hell out of his ass, and out of nowhere he turns around to try and kiss me and im like "EW WTF YOU FAG"
Old 08-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
KingOfDelco
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #8058

My Ride:
'05 Scion Coupe

1. could be a simple wiring issue, maybe a bad ground.

2. i'm assuming you have the L and R speakers running off separate channels? If so, u might have the gains and/or crossover points set incorrectly.

the fact that you can affect the situation by using the volume control also points to a "clipping" situation. are the channels bridged?

you might be running too low an impedance on speakers that are designed to run at 4ohm.

thats all i got right now. leaving work now, i'll check again when i get home and have time to thing clearly.
KingOfDelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
mrchariybrown
Tri-State Addict

Member #4164

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfDelco View Post
1. could be a simple wiring issue, maybe a bad ground.

2. i'm assuming you have the L and R speakers running off separate channels? If so, u might have the gains and/or crossover points set incorrectly.

the fact that you can affect the situation by using the volume control also points to a "clipping" situation. are the channels bridged?

you might be running too low an impedance on speakers that are designed to run at 4ohm.

thats all i got right now. leaving work now, i'll check again when i get home and have time to thing clearly.
thanks man. I appreciate the help

Quote:
Old 08-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
Erik
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1962

My Ride:
2001 Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo

if you tuned your amp yourself, look it over. or possibly take it to someone that knows what to do. I agree with KOD in it being a clipping situation which is not enough power given to components to function properly. Again, agreeingw ith KOD, since its random, it may just be a ground. Check the wire connection at the speaker, the amp channels, and finally the amp ground. If that doesnt work, double check your battery ground. Ive had scenarios with my sound system not working because my negative battery terminal was loose. That also caused my blinkers to work without being engaged or not work at all. The ground is a killer.

edit -- check your head units ground as well as your RCA connections too. just to see if they are split at the connectors from wear or if they are loose.

'96 Mazda Miata | FM V-Maxx Coilovers | Jackson Racing Exhaust/Intake GONE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

01' Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo | Daily | NoMods
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
namdoogwerdna
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3004

My Ride:
2013 BRZ

And if you grouded the amp to the chassis make sure you scraped the paint off before you grounded it, that is something a lot of people overlook.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
mrchariybrown
Tri-State Addict

Member #4164

My Ride:

just checked and everything's connected and grounded properly..

going to replace the rca cables.. a couple members on the nasioc forum suggested it..

also, Audio Integrations said "Somewhat rare, especially on two speakers, but partially shorted voice coil? I've seen that a time or two"

Quote:
Old 08-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
namdoogwerdna
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3004

My Ride:
2013 BRZ

Well you do have to watch when istalling speakers in your car, because the doors are so shallow that it is difficult to space them out properly. Put your windows down and shine a flashlight into the window's opening, you will see the back of the speaker and a screw from the window bracket. If the screw is touching the back of the speaker it could throw it into safe mode and potentially mute the speaker... but that doesn't necessarily explain why it only happens sometimes and at low volumes.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:04 AM   #10
Erik
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1962

My Ride:
2001 Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by namdoogwerdna View Post
Well you do have to watch when istalling speakers in your car, because the doors are so shallow that it is difficult to space them out properly. Put your windows down and shine a flashlight into the window's opening, you will see the back of the speaker and a screw from the window bracket. If the screw is touching the back of the speaker it could throw it into safe mode and potentially mute the speaker... but that doesn't necessarily explain why it only happens sometimes and at low volumes.
thats an interesting diagnosis there. Ive personally never experienced or atleast sought after a problem like that. Worth a try in my opinion! Im going to keep that in mind next time.

'96 Mazda Miata | FM V-Maxx Coilovers | Jackson Racing Exhaust/Intake GONE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

01' Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo | Daily | NoMods
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #11
ntstrini
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5059

My Ride:
§2004 Dodge Srt-4§1995 Honda Civic EX§

Factory headunit or aftermarket?
ntstrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #12
B-ReN~FrEsH
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8586

My Ride:
2001 Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfDelco View Post
i googled your amp and if i'm correct it has 4 channels? and its 600 Watts? does your amp have any fuses(probably 20 Amp yellow) you can replace on the outside? and does your amp have "Bridged" speaker inputs? (is common for higher Ohm speakers or subs) Also does it have a "protect" mode? this is common in amps when electric "spikes" into the amp and it will go into protect mode, and you must repower the amp. This is my professional suggestion, if you still encounter a problem notify me.

Q: I melted my pistons because I tried to run 20 more pounds of boost without the fuel to support it.

B-ReN~FrEsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #13
mrchariybrown
Tri-State Addict

Member #4164

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ReN~FrEsH View Post
i googled your amp and if i'm correct it has 4 channels? and its 600 Watts? does your amp have any fuses(probably 20 Amp yellow) you can replace on the outside? and does your amp have "Bridged" speaker inputs? (is common for higher Ohm speakers or subs) Also does it have a "protect" mode? this is common in amps when electric "spikes" into the amp and it will go into protect mode, and you must repower the amp. This is my professional suggestion, if you still encounter a problem notify me.
so what would be the solution? I don't really understand most of this audio mumble jumble haha

Quote:
Old 09-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #14
Instigator1225
Tri-State Addict

Member #6848

My Ride:
hate mobile.

just take it to somone who knows waht there doing... u sound like u might set ur car on fire.
Instigator1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #15
namdoogwerdna
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3004

My Ride:
2013 BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ReN~FrEsH View Post
i dont see how that would cause the channels to be intermittently working.. at all. if there was no sound at all then maybe i guess..
Old 09-17-2008, 12:08 AM   #16
B-ReN~FrEsH
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8586

My Ride:
2001 Volvo S40

i think that either the wires are bad, a short circuit. or loose connection. thats what im saying. if its not any of them... then your amp was damaged somehow. possibly overheating, which can happen easily if you don't mount it properly.

Q: I melted my pistons because I tried to run 20 more pounds of boost without the fuel to support it.

B-ReN~FrEsH is offline   Reply With Quote