TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 06-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
WTRacing
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #6773

My Ride:
04 WRX Wagon

Drill Here Drill Now Pay Less Petition

petition the U.S. Congress to act immediately to lower gasoline prices (and diesel and other fuel prices)* by authorizing the exploration of proven energy reserves to reduce our dependence on foreign energy sources from unstable countries.

To Sign the petition goto http://www.americansolutions.com/
WTRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
sherwood
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2221

My Ride:
arggg 32, vr jetta.

Send a message via AIM to sherwood
sorry dude but its not gonna do anything.
Quote:
But I am sure the exhaust is angled for back pressure to have a faster spool-up for larger size turbochargers @ low RPM
sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
wow, thats some crazy propaganda... can you take a minute to explain to me how drilling here and now will have an immediate affect on gas prices in our country? if you believe in the link you posted then i dont see how you can even begin to understand the international economic climate and how its so much bigger than just the us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
bmatyeah
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4478

My Ride:
1997 Ford Mustang

Send a message via AIM to bmatyeah
this is as real as facebook groups telling me not to buy gas on a certain day.
bmatyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
PhillySVT
Tri-State Addict

Member #7434

My Ride:
Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
wow, thats some crazy propaganda... can you take a minute to explain to me how drilling here and now will have an immediate affect on gas prices in our country? if you believe in the link you posted then i dont see how you can even begin to understand the international economic climate and how its so much bigger than just the us.
Not immediate...but we have a ton of oil reserves in this country that we arent using ....thats a fact. We could be totally non dependent on foreign oil if we wanted too. Hell we wont let US companies drill off shore of our coast but China is? Thats a joke!
^seriously........ when you drive a 15 second car you dont really "smoke" any car....you casually gain ground.
PhillySVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

what reserves in the us are you referring to? and how soon do you think that would mean gas in the tank of your car?

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 06-13-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Quote:
what reserves in the us are you referring to? and how soon do you think that would mean gas in the tank of your car?
We have something like 50+ years of known oil deposits in the Dakota regions, that's independent years too mind you.

The problem is, a large majority of it is imbedded in slate. So even if we do harvest it right now, we will be paying more for gas anyway.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:14 AM   #8
WTRacing
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #6773

My Ride:
04 WRX Wagon

its not gonna instantly help us but if we are sitting on enough oil that we dont need to buy oil from others at an extremely over priced rate we should be using it..its like going to a do it your self car wash with a roll of quarters in your pocket and buying quarters from a stranger for 2 for a dollar just because you dont want to unwrap the roll in your pocket.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:13 AM   #9
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

there is just so much more to it than that though... if it was that easy we would be doing it. i hate to tell you but there is no quick way out of this...

as for the oil shale in the us, we've been trying to make use of that for 20-30 years but it just hasnt proven feasible. the gov't isn't holding anyone back from trying to acquire oil that way... many companies have tried and failed in the past, and shell is still trying, but the process to get the oil out of the ground is so costly that it isnt worth it. the oil that they have retrieved in the past was also such low quality that it required much more extensive refining than the norm, which increased expenses further.

its like going to the car wash and instead of buying quarters from one guy at two dollars per quarter you go to a different guy and buy the quarters for three dollars per quarter instead.

|

Quote:

|
Old 06-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #10
WTRacing
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #6773

My Ride:
04 WRX Wagon

its not as much about the oil sites already here. its about the federal ban on off shore drilling passed in 1981, there is oil out there and were not allowed to drill for it. yet china came right up to our line and drilled..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,365627,00.html

Last edited by WTRacing; 06-14-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:37 AM   #11
bastid
Tri-State Addict

Member #1732

My Ride:
2008 BMW M3

Actually, simple supply and demand as we know it has relatively little to do with rising gas prices. At a fundamental level I suppose you can argue supply vs. demand. What is happening is Industrial Investors such as pension funds, etc. are speculating that oil will be able to be sold in the relatively distant future at high profits. So what they are doing is buying up the price so that the barrels they own at a much lower price yield a large profit. So therefore, if we create more fuel, they buy more fuel and still put us in a demand deficit.

Look back in the late 90s when gas was less than $1 a gallon. Barrel prices were only a little less than half of what they are today ($60ish). If the price curve was not manipulated by these investors, we'd be at about $1.90/gallon today.

There are limits on the purchases from Institutional Investors however there are loopholes in the laws that allow for commodity swapping, allowing proxy services such as banks to make huge purchases of oil on their behalf and legally swapping it out to them. If they ban the swapping law, the oil price comes down as supply isn't tapped. Additionally, incredibly intelligent analysts are looking at this ridiculous situation and are calling for oil to top out at $200/barrel and then drop back down below $100.

In the meantime, this blows. But drilling in the continental USA or Alaska is not going to help us right now.
bastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #12
WTRacing
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #6773

My Ride:
04 WRX Wagon

yes its not going to change the price of gas tomorrow but if we dont do anything now its just going to get worse. and yes i also agree they should stop the swapping law
Old 06-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #13
lagos
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #989

My Ride:
Toyota Celica GT-Two

Quote:
He also believes in Amsoil.

The accelerator on my toyota has always been stuck to the floor..
lagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #14
bastid
Tri-State Addict

Member #1732

My Ride:
2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTRacing View Post
yes its not going to change the price of gas tomorrow but if we dont do anything now its just going to get worse. and yes i also agree they should stop the swapping law
We're talking 10 years for drilling in the US to have a tangible impact.
bastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #15
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastid View Post
not to mention the expenses that would be used to drill and refine and build new refineries would get passed down to us through the price of gas at the pumps... I doubt this would help us lower the price for years after the fact...
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #16
ftoth84
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #7719

My Ride:
02 WRX Bugeye

I must say that I would have to agree with drilling in our nation. How much higher do the gas prices have to go before we actually do something to become more independent. Now I'm not saying that it will be an immediate relief. We are the worlds power house yet we are held captive by terrorist and a third world nation(China) that we owe so much debt to. This a fact as a nation we would have to sell all of the nationally owed real estate and I reapeat ALL! of the real estate 3 times over to pay our debts to China. Between that and the fact that in the nations were the oil is being drill prices of gas are only about $.25 a gallon. HUH!, thats interesting and these terrorist say they are not doing this on purpose. I smell something BULL****! Come on people think about it take your heads out of your asses and get with the program. If we continue on this path we're doomed.

O yeah and I bet everyone who doesn't agree with drill are going to vote for a guy who will negotiate with terorrist.

Last edited by ftoth84; 06-15-2008 at 09:44 AM.
ftoth84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #17
WhiteXFire
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #305

My Ride:
2007 Infiniti G35x, 2008 MB SLK55 AMG

Send a message via AIM to WhiteXFire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastid View Post
Not to mention the immediate impact it has on the environment.

If you're truly looking for a long term solution and a way to become independent from foreign oil sources, invest more money into alternative power sources. Even if we pull all of the oil out of reserves and new drilling sites, how many years do we have left? At the rate the world is expanding, maybe 100? Then what?

Or does that not matter because it's beyond our lifespan (maybe)?

2004 Chrysler Crossfire - Gone
2007 Infiniti G35x Sedan -

2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG -
WhiteXFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:10 AM   #18
den9
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1198

My Ride:
turbo diesel

Send a message via AIM to den9
cant we just raise the price of food we sell to them 600 percent?
den9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #19
WTRacing
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #6773

My Ride:
04 WRX Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by den9 View Post
cant we just raise the price of food we sell to them 600 percent?
that wont work b/c they are smarter than us and will grow their own or buy from somewhere else like we should be doing...
Old 06-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #20
WTRacing
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #6773

My Ride:
04 WRX Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftoth84 View Post
I must say that I would have to agree with drilling in our nation. How much higher do the gas prices have to go before we actually do something to become more independent. Now I'm not saying that it will be an immediate relief. We are the worlds power house yet we are held captive by terrorist and a third world nation(China) that we owe so much debt to. This a fact as a nation we would have to sell all of the nationally owed real estate and I reapeat ALL! of the real estate 3 times over to pay our debts to China. Between that and the fact that in the nations were the oil is being drill prices of gas are only about $.25 a gallon. HUH!, thats interesting and these terrorist say they are not doing this on purpose. I smell something BULL****! Come on people think about it take your heads out of your asses and get with the program. If we continue on this path we're doomed.

O yeah and I bet everyone who doesn't agree with drill are going to vote for a guy who will negotiate with terorrist.