TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 01-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
94integra
Tri-State Addict

Member #7222

My Ride:
93.5 p10

Going for your license

Well im going for my license tomorrow and i was wondering how hard is it. How long did the test take and were you guys nervous at all.
94integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
KrautFed20V
Tri-State Addict

Member #984

My Ride:
01 GTP & Honda ChitBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94integra View Post
Well im going for my license tomorrow and i was wondering how hard is it. How long did the test take and were you guys nervous at all.
Well back in the day when i took the test I had to drive out of the parking lot, made a left in to some park, and turned around, went back and was told "you passed" i didn't do any parallel parking or any of that garbage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
KrautFed20V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
abrok99
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6039

My Ride:
2004 Subaru WRX swagon

i failed my first time and barley passed the second time cause apparently i didnt drive with to hands on the wheel yet there was a mark at the 2 points i was holding it i was so nervous haha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
abrok99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
jdm free
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1481

My Ride:
6spd Civic

Send a message via AIM to jdm free
easy as ****, took like 5-10 minutes at the most
jdm free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
FazdaGt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3161

My Ride:
compensates for my size.

Send a message via AIM to FazdaGt
i took it the first time in an audi 100, a large car... apparently i bumped a barrel parallel parking and i failed.

the second try i passed with no issues, i had a few points off for going to slow actually

Quote:
"Hi, Italy? I broke one of your Lambos, I can has new oil pan and bumper?"
FazdaGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
abrok99
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6039

My Ride:
2004 Subaru WRX swagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazdaGt View Post
i took it the first time in an audi 100, a large car... apparently i bumped a barrel parallel parking and i failed.

the second try i passed with no issues, i had a few points off for going to slow actually
haha yeah he told me to speed up the second time i took it haha

abrok99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
DC2.2GSR
Tri-State Addict

Member #5220

My Ride:
is completely stock and gets great gas mileage.

it's all about where you go to take it. the place i went to had this Big Black looking state trooper guy who was real cool. he made me go halfway into the parallel parking spot and he said "ehh, you know how to do it just fine, just make a left out there" we went out of the parking lot and made 3 lefts and back into the parking lot.

no matter what location you go to, it's like the SATs.. you can't study for it and there's no reason to get nervous about it. it's all about showing what you already know. just don't give them a reason to fail you. they're going to be watching for rolling stops, turn signals use, seatbelts, and left turn behavior especially, because those are the easy things that most people forget. also speed limit is obviously important. just make sure you don't go too slow. go the speed limit.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
TurboTagTeam
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #275

My Ride:
constantly changes

I passed first try. It's easy as long as your not a crappy driver.

One thing I can tell you....dont go ONE MILE AN HOUR OVER THE SPEED LIMIT OR YOU WILL FAIL. I had a friend that failed 3 times since the dumbass never payed attention to the speedo.
TurboTagTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
jspek
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #539

My Ride:
cafe and a broke s2k

Send a message via AIM to jspek
its the hardest thing ever.

just make sure you use your blinkers for everything.

jspek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
SvicksTc
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7395

My Ride:
Nike 6.0

Its real easy, dont be nervous, some places ive even heard you dont have to parrell park, i took my in Dublin, PA. I went out down the street turned around in the police station and back to parrel park which was a joke since you get like mad moves to make and can hit the inside curb.....

Just use your blinkers, ask him to put his seatbelt on if he doesnt, keep both hands on the wheel. make sure to S_T_O_P at all posted spots....

Good Luck
|Nikon|
Twitter:
SvicksTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #11
doug
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #450

My Ride:
2007 WRX STi Limited, 1969 Z/28 Camaro

Use your turn signal coming out of the parallel spot.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
SvicksTc
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7395

My Ride:
Nike 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
Use your turn signal coming out of the parallel spot.

And going in, totally forgot about mentioning that.....
|Nikon|
Twitter:
SvicksTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
ASIAN JUL
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9030

My Ride:
'95 Integra LS hatch

I took mine at Bordendale first, and it was so ridiculous. The guy who I had was like, easily 500 pounds, and I took it in my dad's OLD tiny little Saturn with no A/C on a 98* day and he didn't fit the first time he got in. He had to get back out and move the seat back and then he didn't put his lap belt on (the shoulder belt is automatic) so I had to ask him to put it on and he grunted at me. Well anywho, I ended up with one tire on the white line for parallel parking by less than an 1/2 inch and I failed.

I re-took it at Island Avenue and had to RENT a freaking car because my dad's driver side window didn't go down. I was in line for like over an hour, and then conveniently there was a bunch of cars parked over on the grass waiting for poor saps like me. Paid $60 for that ishhh! But it was pie, haha. Sad I had better luck parking in a car that I had never driven before. But really, it was easy, don't be nervous. It only lasted a few minutes. Just don't do anything dumb, use turn signals, and when you pull up to a stop sign, mentally spell "S-T-O-P" so they can't fail you for making an incomplete stop lol.
|
]

Quote:
It was the sexual guardian angel saying sir your stroke is on point, go forth and conquer
ASIAN JUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #14
350 INCH 95
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #6946

My Ride:
Blown 95 Impala SS (and a Trailblazer SS)

Send a message via AIM to 350 INCH 95
I failed my first time but it had nothing to do with my driving ability (not that you really need any to pass). Everything seemed smooth, the guy seemed suprised my mom and I had all the right papers with us then I did turn signals, high beams, wipers, and 4 way. The guy gets in the car and doesn't go immediately for the seat belt, so I thought maybe he was trying to trick me, I politely asked him to put his seat belt on and got "don't gell me to put my ****ing seat belt on, I know what I'm doing!". Did the road test fine but the guy was pissed off. Second time the guy said "oh you got the black guy' when I told him about that, then showed me old pictures of himself that were in his wallet...

Moral of the story is it's easy, the test really should be harder cause most drivers suck.
Procharged & Intercooled, GM845 cam, Crane 1.6 roller rockers, self ported Al heads, Yank 3000 stall, Eaton posi & 4.10 gears, level 3 built 4L60e, Tri Y headers, Hooker Aero Chambers, 3.5" cowl hood, Hotchkis springs and bars, Diddy Kong in the trunk, all LED and HID lighting, tinted tails, tinted windows, lots of polished stuff, too much more. Runs 12.701 @ 108 MPH with no traction and 4400 LBS
350 INCH 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
3rdGenMr2Girl
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9924

My Ride:
1993 Toyota Mr2 Turbo

Send a message via AIM to 3rdGenMr2Girl
Mine was so easy. I took a 5 minute drive around a neighborhood. Make sure you keep both hands on the wheel, don't go even 1 mile an hour over the limit, and use your turn signals. And make sure you know how to parallel park and USE YOUR TURN SIGNALS while going in and out of the spot.
)
3rdGenMr2Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #16
94integra
Tri-State Addict

Member #7222

My Ride:
93.5 p10

It sucks that its snowing. And my car doesnt have abs. Should be fun.
94integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #17
ASIAN JUL
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9030

My Ride:
'95 Integra LS hatch

3rdgen just spoke troof.

I hated having to use both hands because I was taught to drive with one. That was the hardest part for me. Remembering to not drop a hand
|
]

Quote:
It was the sexual guardian angel saying sir your stroke is on point, go forth and conquer
ASIAN JUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #18
3rdGenMr2Girl
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9924

My Ride:
1993 Toyota Mr2 Turbo

Send a message via AIM to 3rdGenMr2Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCarIsFTL View Post
3rdgen just spoke troof.

I hated having to use both hands because I was taught to drive with one. That was the hardest part for me. Remembering to not drop a hand
i NEVER drive with both hands now, even if i'm driving auto lol. i feel like a 90 year old doing that.
)
3rdGenMr2Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #19
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
I barely brushed one of the posts they had in the parallel spot the first time because they were bent inwards towards the spot and I failed.

Second time I passed in about 15 mins.

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #20
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

^^ do you guys use both hands during spirited driving?