TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
assault187
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2176

My Ride:
97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Spyder AWD

Send a message via AIM to assault187
Tri-states BADDEST vert. Assault187's Eclipse Spyder. Updated!

Assault187 AKA Dsm2gnick's Member journal!

This is my 97 eclipse GST spyder.

Some back-story about the car... 2/2004

Ever since the 2GB body style dropped in 1997 it had been my dream car... It's no Lamborghini but it made a huge impression on me at a young age with its timeless body style and aggressive stance. At the time I knew very little about turbo engines but picked up a bit when my brother bought a dodge spirit turbo, I learned as much as I could. When I was finally old enough to work a full time job, I saved EVERY penney to save up and buy this car. I would read in magazines how people were modifying their cars including the DSM's and I knew I wanted to be a part of that crowd. Then, one day a friend (Jim) from high school spots me at a WaWa and we were talking. I ask "what are you driving now?" He pointed over to the eclipse and said "that"...I was soo envious... We walked over as he was telling me a bit about it, claiming tons of HP and tons of mods. I asked him to pop the hood and we look around. My friend claimed it was twin turbo and he was going to add more stuff on it including a crank and cams (Was not twin turbo...) That night, like every other night, I was back to searching for my own. I was prepared to spend around $8,000-$10,000 for the 97-99 COUPE. That seemed to be the going price for them at the time in decent shape.

On a cool march night I found myself sitting in a parking lot, imagining IF I had the eclipse.. I was already working on my project long before it was a reality. The second I pop out of my day dreaming I get a call from my buddy Mike. He called to say that Jim's car was being sold. Supposedly a street race with a mustang had claimed the stock 7 bolt engine.. I asked how much the car was going to be sold for, he replied $4k. I doubted him and asked a hundred times if he was serious.. That was quite a bit under value and I had saved $3,600 so far.....I told him the car was mine and to tell Jim I would give him the cash that night. We still had to wait for a local shop to stick a replacement in for the beat engine. This gave me enough time to come up with the extra $400 to buy the car. He came to my house in the car and let me test drive it, I was soo excited that the car would be mine. We get back to my house and I hand him $4000 cash but I still had to wait another week for the car so his dad had the time to sign everything over. I barely slept that whole week! The day came to sign it over, It wasn't the coupe I was originally set out for but it was just as sexy, a bit different, and I got it for a STEAL!
I now owned my 1ST car. Now to make it mine..

I owned the car for a couple of months.. I had tons of ideas of what I wanted to to but, replacing the stock T-25 turbo came a bit sooner than expected. I was a car audio enthusiast who would spend some free time over at a local shop called Good Vibrations Auto Salon. It was there where I met 2 good friends, Carl and Steve, who took the time to lead me in the right direction. Fortunately for me, they were also both DSM guys. They set me up with a Garrett T04-b V-trim turbo, RC 550cc Injectors, the ORIGINAL AEM UEGO Wideband, and a SAFCII. After the parts were installed, Carl helped me put a baseline tune on the car. Carl and Steve gave me the basic understanding of tuning. I learned everything I could and ran with it. With the new turbo upgrade, it didn't take long to heat-soak the stock Side mount intercooler so soon after I picked up a GReddy FMIC and installed it on the car. The car felt like a rocket ship and ran great with the new parts! The car sat around 280-300 hp @25psi

Soon after I was preparing to attend a car meet at Good Vibrations. As I was driving around and the clutch pedal dropped to the floor...I managed to get it to a parking lot to get clutch fluid and drove it home. When I got home, I found a tiny hole in the clutch hard line. I picked up a new length of line, bent it up and threw it in. Afterwards, I back out of my driveway, throw it in 1st, rev out, drop 2nd and BANG.... The trans exploded... Well, that was on the list somewhere anyway... I arrived at the Good Vibrations DSM meet with my car on a flatbed, unloaded it, then got with Carl about finding a trans. Carl let me use the shop to pull the trans out of the of the car, I had no idea what I was doing but got it done. I ended up having a trans fully built by JNZ Tuning with LSD. 5 or 6 months later I had the car back and nearly teared when I 1st drove it again.

About a year later, following many races, the engine developed a rod knock. I pulled into a gas station and the car stalled. I thought, Ok, I'll let it cool down, check the oil and go from there thinking I could baby it home. I started the car 20 min later and the knock was LOUD, I rev'd the motor to 3,000 rpm then it seized. That's alright, that was on the list somewhere, too. Can't expect a salvaged replacement 7 bolt to last too long. The Next day I pulled the engine out. I sourced a 92 running 6 bolt for $300 from a guy 3 hours away. That's a deal! So some friends, my brother and I loaded up in my brothers work van and rolled out. Upon getting there, the guy starts the engine to verify, we pulled the engine from the car, loaded up and made our way back. When arriving back, I was tempted to just get it in the car but my goals suggested a different route. At that point I didn't feel I had the experience and knowledge to build a motor myself so I sent it out for a ross/eagle setup (its not what i recieved though). After A LOT of frustration I got the motor back, freshened up the bay, dropped the motor in and wired it up for the 6 bolt swap. With the help of DSMLink, I got a much better understanding of tuning.

A short while later @25psi the Garrett T04b turbo came apart. That's when I found my next crush, The Holset HX-40pro. I then threw in HKS 272 cams, an FP exhaust maniold, JMFabrications Sheet metal intake manifold, and rc1000cc injectors. It was then I was starting to realize the cars limits on pump gas. After I couldn't get past knock/ detonation @ 25 psi, I picked up a Coolingmist methanol injection kit then cranked the boost to 30psi. As I learned more, the car continued to get more powerful and continued to change. The car made 427 hp at this point.

The engine that I had professionally built had burned a significant amount of oil ever since the day I put it in. A long story short, there was a mix up at the shop and I received a "race" engine with huge ring gaps. After spending a ton of money on oil, sick of the issues, and tired of dealing with it, I pulled the motor to do a tear down diagnosis and step up for my next few goals. That's where this build thread begins... A slight bit of history and on to the newer stuff.

Here are the pics from only my most recent project (winter 08) 'till now. If I can find the pics of the past, I'll post them up!

WHY? After having the bottom end assembled by a reputable DSM shop, it burned MASS amounts of oil. Not even 2 years later from installing the motor I said enough was enough! I did one last burnout then parked it.... Here it goes...

One last look before she comes out

The love of my life

This is what happens from IMPROPERLY gapped rings im assuming, We'll see...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

World record holder for Quickest and Fastest 1/4 mile Spyder, 4 cylinder vert, 1st in 10's, 2.0L 4G63 Holset record, Modified Mag December 2010, Self built, self tuned.

Last edited by assault187; 02-03-2016 at 01:18 PM.
assault187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
assault187
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2176

My Ride:

I thought I had Eagle rods.....well, I have CROWER rods hmmm

I should'nt even be having to do this....

Looks like the punisher sign

Scoring on piston, possibly from improper PTW clearance

Scoring on crank....need to replace

Feeler gauges marked with a sharpie so the values are visable

That is a .035 ring gap and rising...... it SHOULD be .019!! Here is the problem, all rings were gapped this large!

checking bore size to make sure is 20 over

PTW clearance check and making sure the pistons are 20 over as well

Waiting for a crank....moving on to other things

World record holder for Quickest and Fastest 1/4 mile Spyder, 4 cylinder vert, 1st in 10's, 2.0L 4G63 Holset record, Modified Mag December 2010, Self built, self tuned.

Last edited by assault187; 07-27-2009 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
assault187
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2176

My Ride:

Old 10-11-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
Dam, so this is why no BBQ for you huh. It looks real good though so far.. First couple pics I was thinking "man he needs to clean that bay up" good stuff.. and if you do the AWD conversion on this this car will be 10 times the sickness.

Keep it up
Old 10-12-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
assault187
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2176

My Ride:

lol yea, I really wanted to make the BBQ too but I couldnt let it go on any longer, Engine oil just skyrocketed and I was spending too much on it to begin with.

I used to get the 5 quart bottle of mobile 1 for $21 ....Now its a 4 quart bottle for $26, unbelievable.

Thanks for the compliment!

Old 10-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #6
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
Looking good Nick, this thread is making me jealous. Cant wait to see it finished..... again

Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
turbo4g63
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1057

My Ride:
98' 4runner

Send a message via AIM to turbo4g63
Keep it up!
Old 10-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
assault187
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2176

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonTsi97 View Post
Looking good Nick, this thread is making me jealous. Cant wait to see it finished..... again
Thanks, Did you throw that manifold on yet? If not, feel free to call me if you have any questions, Its quite a bit of work.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
Kevin
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2345

My Ride:
EVO

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Was this thread any motivation?
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hang...elocation.html

Looks good man. Keep up the good work. And who hacked up your nice motor? I'm interested in knowing who that was. Thats pretty unacceptable in my book.

Quote:
Thanks dude, you should know better than to think id ditch my dsm's for a vw... lol.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
assault187
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2176

My Ride:

well, that thread motivated me to do the fuse box relocation cleaner, but Ive planned on doing this for some time now.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #11
cmr076
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2319

My Ride:
S4

Send a message via AIM to cmr076
that mani is begging for some ceramic coating!
cmr076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #12
james_ls
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1614

My Ride:
1998 Acura Integra LS//VTEC

Send a message via AIM to james_ls
That skull on the piston is a sign from god.

This car will eventually want you to die lol.

BUY MY STUFF!

james_ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #13
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
Quote:
Originally Posted by assault187 View Post
Thanks, Did you throw that manifold on yet? If not, feel free to call me if you have any questions, Its quite a bit of work.
Na, i wont be working on it till at least mid winter. Got to much stuff going on rite now. I will let you know.
Thanks

Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor

Member #3958

My Ride:
the one in the back of the shop

I would use something a lil more accurate then that digital caliper to measure your bores. Esspecially if u plan on staying .020 oversize and just running those, or different pistons.

Vince@R/TTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #15
assault187
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2176

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning View Post
I would use something a lil more accurate then that digital caliper to measure your bores. Esspecially if u plan on staying .020 oversize and just running those, or different pistons.
That was only for reference so I know if the block I have is the block I should have recieved. After finding the Crower rods that I didnt pay for (I supplied Eagle rods) I started to think they had givin me someone elses block. The block and rotating assembly is going over to your guy Greg to be checked, decked, cleaned and have everything balanced with the new crank.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #16
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
You definitely want to measure the entirety of the bore, especially with that piston scarring. I wouldn't doubt those cylinders are out of round a bit.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #17
SpendOne
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #144

My Ride:
1987 Mazda RX7 LQ4 Turbo

Send a message via AIM to SpendOne
Nice, hope everything works out for ya.
1980 Ford Fairmont 4Dr
LQ4 Turbo AGAIN
SpendOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #18
shuttlegoose
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2248

My Ride:
06 Evo ix Apex Silver

damn nick, good luck man. We missed you last night on the cruise.
shuttlegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #19
LevittownMonster
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8770

My Ride:
None

Dude nice cake lol. Any nice car man

the 240sx life. SLIDE the 240sx HO
LevittownMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #20
11secdsm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4914

My Ride:
'15 F150, '11 535xi, '95 M3, '04 Wrangler

Good luck with the rebuild Nick! Sorry to hear about all the nonsense you have to deal with.
2006 Evo IX- 609whp-> (2.3L) || 11.19 @ 128 ->(stock 2.0) SOLD
1997 Supra- 670whp- 10.91 @ 139 SOLD
11secdsm is offline   Reply With Quote