TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Upcoming Events
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #441
dcwiker05
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14768

My Ride:
1995 Impreza WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpfreaks View Post
I kinda agree and disagree. I handed 10 bux up and as dcwiker05 said earlier would parked else where for someone like the gtr. However when i am done boosting my wagon and finished my build i see no reason why someone should be able to say* hey nice saturn but it is a saturn so no vip for you* if it is built cleanly and properly i dont think the car type should matter anymore. And personnally i prefer seeing unique cars not the same show cars over and over. It may not be what you like but everyone who works hard should have the same rights to show pff there work.
Just so you know I wasn't trying to single you out with Saturn's and I agree if it's done right the make/model doesn't and won't matter. But if it's done right they will also be able to tell and you won't get pushed over to family car parking. My Impreza doesn't look like much either and once I black out the intercooler only the a pillar gauges will really give it away (those will be gone too once I do my in dash nexus 7 with torque.) But it's not hard to tell a tuner car from the grocery getter, I wouldn't worry about that.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk HD
dcwiker05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #442
SoStock92
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1721

My Ride:
92 BMW 525, 95 BMW 525, 87 BMW 325, 95 BMW 530

Send a message via AIM to SoStock92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousatom View Post
No one understand the amount of time it takes the 3 head guys along with all the other support staff to pull this off. I myself had well over 40 hours of time invested in this years meet, and about that much for last years meet.
I understand how much time it takes completely, as I am sure some people know my background. People alluding to the donations "not making their way to the beneficiary" are just sad IMHO.

You all need to be less mad.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #443
ScoobySTi
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #6974

My Ride:
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi; 92 Mustang LX 5.0

Send a message via AIM to ScoobySTi
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimm View Post
It's unfortunate that an event that so many people go to, that grows yearly, is torn apart with negativity like this. Did not anyone have a good time?

If I was one of the staff or organizers of this I would certainly be questioning doing it again. .
That^ and I think Adam can relate. Just to clear up a few things local PD was contacted and supposed to be helping. A traffic person was paid to control the light and exit flow...we probably would have been better off letting the light do the work. The park was donated last year but cost money this year. Most locations in many different townships/areas/cities are aware of this event and don't want the baggage that comes with it...they don't even care that it is a charity event. Unfortunately it is the 1 in every 10 that ruin it for the rest of the folks. As for a next year...who knows.

As for the people complaining and saying they could do it better. I don't doubt that some of you probably could. I've read a lot of good ideas and a lot that just aren't feasible. We do like/need constructive criticism. It is kind of a let down when you read comments about most of the negative things rather then the positives though. The volunteers have full time jobs/families/other lives and they do what they can when they can. We try to learn from mistakes and make changes. It is what it is.
-The fully primered beast!
ScoobySTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #444
ScoobySTi
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #6974

My Ride:
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi; 92 Mustang LX 5.0

Send a message via AIM to ScoobySTi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoStock92 View Post
I understand how much time it takes completely, as I am sure some people know my background. People alluding to the donations "not making their way to the beneficiary" are just sad IMHO.

You all need to be less mad.
Yes 100% of donations make it to Make-A-Wish after expenses and what not. It is not a scam and no one is making any money from this.
-The fully primered beast!
ScoobySTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #445
Herpfreaks
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #8697

My Ride:
1996 Saturn SC2 -- 1994 Saturn SW2

I had a great time, I see people points and there was somethings to complain about i guess. But that said I think the positive still out ways the morons. At least that is my opinion and I hope there is a next time though I would hold it against no one if they didn't feel like it after this.

[dcwiker05] I knew you weren't singling me out. My point is throughout building I have had moron building riced out s***box cars telling me I am not good enough because it is. When I am doing my best to built it properly in comparison to the bolt on builds i see. I like building odd cars next I want either a conquest/starion or maybe a cressida.
Herpfreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #446
dcwiker05
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14768

My Ride:
1995 Impreza WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobySTi View Post
That^ and I think Adam can relate. Just to clear up a few things local PD was contacted and supposed to be helping. A traffic person was paid to control the light and exit flow...we probably would have been better off letting the light do the work. The park was donated last year but cost money this year. Most locations in many different townships/areas/cities are aware of this event and don't want the baggage that comes with it...they don't even care that it is a charity event. Unfortunately it is the 1 in every 10 that ruin it for the rest of the folks. As for a next year...who knows.

As for the people complaining and saying they could do it better. I don't doubt that some of you probably could. I've read a lot of good ideas and a lot that just aren't feasible. We do like/need constructive criticism. It is kind of a let down when you read comments about most of the negative things rather then the positives though. The volunteers have full time jobs/families/other lives and they do what they can when they can. We try to learn from mistakes and make changes. It is what it is.
You're right a lot of negative was posted and that does hurt the feelings of those who helped set this all up. Sad thing is its proven people are more likely to take the time to write a negative review then a positive review, its just human nature.

That being said this is one of two meets that I make a point to make it to, the other being WBM in CT. It's a fun day and there are great cars and cool people. My appreciation goes out to all who helped and all who showed (Dbags included because a lot of them still had pretty slick cars.)

Problem is like you said this meet has garnered a bad rep thanks to the dbags, and I really think its time for a restructuring. I don't know how this is pitched to the venues/sponsors/local pd and such but it is all about image and presentation. I really think with some fresh eyes on the project, some new in site and a new spin, we could turn this into a premier event for the East Coast, something everyone wants to come to, locals enjoy, and that does something good for the community.

I emailed TROLL and told him to have a look in here or to send me an email for what I feel I could offer, hopefully he gets back to me and hopefully we can turn this around! The fact that it is known for a baggage event is terrible I want to change that and everyone here should too!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #447
Herpfreaks

Member #8697

My Ride:

Now serious idea why not try contacting SCCA and seeing how they manage to get some of the larger venues like airports. Then contacting those connections and seeing if they would do a discounted day rate for a charity event. Just an idea, not sure if it came out the way I wanted, but hopefully you get what I meant.

Last edited by Herpfreaks; 04-23-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #448
dcwiker05
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14768

My Ride:
1995 Impreza WRX

Quote:
I had a great time, I see people points and there was somethings to complain about i guess. But that said I think the positive still out ways the morons. At least that is my opinion and I hope there is a next time though I would hold it against no one if they didn't feel like it after this.

I knew you weren't singling me out. My point is throughout building I have had moron building riced out s***box cars telling me I am not good enough because it is. When I am doing my best to built it properly in comparison to the bolt on builds i see. I like building odd cars next I want either a conquest/starion or maybe a cressida.
I know the feeling man, just shrug those guys off and build your ride, when you shock the sh*t out of them blowing by their rice boxes they will get what they deserve. I seen a crazy tricked out Geo Storm and I have to say I now own a Geo Storm as my beater in hopes of one day mirroring that car, sadly I doubt it will every happen because I cant find any real info on the build or source the engine he had.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #449
SoStock92
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1721

My Ride:
92 BMW 525, 95 BMW 525, 87 BMW 325, 95 BMW 530

Send a message via AIM to SoStock92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobySTi View Post
Yes 100% of donations make it to Make-A-Wish after expenses and what not. It is not a scam and no one is making any money from this.
Yep, I know, I helped run it in the past.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #450
dangerousatom
[TST] Calendar Master

Member #625

My Ride:
02-04 RS-STi @391whp 02-WRX Wagon @310whp ≈≈≈ Both modded to the hilt w/PPG trans

Send a message via AIM to dangerousatom
Quote:
Now serious idea why not try contacting SCCA and seeing how they manage to get some of the larger venues like airports. Then contacting those connections and seeing if they would do a discounted day rate for a charity event. Just an idea, not sure if it came out the way I wanted, but hopefully you get what I meant.
They get them mostly because the first line out of their mouth is not "oh we get over 2000 cars and near 4000+ people" when talking to the location owners. When property owners hear those kind of numbers their eyes roll up into their heads and they see lots of issues with that amount of people, as this meet continues to prove.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

02 WRX Wagon Beater-10/01/11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dangerousatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #451
Herpfreaks

Member #8697

My Ride:

Fair enough I was just thinking of space, hadn't thought of that. It does make alot of sense there is a huge difference in the type of crowd too.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #452
piku
Tri-State Addict

Member #12166

My Ride:
335i/M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
Wow, how disrespectful. If I saw you on your bike smoking a blunt, I probably would have Frank Hart'd your bike.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
I didn't know that a formal name had been assigned to it LOL

A couple things.
1) I'm surprised the pot smoking was so offensive to so many people. I guess it's not going to be legalized in PA any time soon. Sure it was probably the wrong venue for it but still. (No I was not smoking and yes I was there with a young child who I can assure you gave zero ****s about the pot smoking).
2) There is no tax writeoff for TST as far as I can tell. If they take in $X (income) and 100% of $X goes to charity, then $X is the writeoff but they gain nothing other than not having to declare all that money as income. I suspect a lot of people don't understand the words "write off" ;) As long as there is no skimming going on then it's legit. I have a lot more respect for TST and Bryan than I did in the past. I don't think there is any ulterior motive other than notoriety and a modest supplemental income. I also think there was surprisingly little TST whoring at the meet. I think it is what it is, a charity event.
3) The people complaining about the crappy cars clearly forget what it's like to be the average age of the attendees of a meet like that. Younger guys don't have **** for money to spend, but I still enjoy seeing the clever **** done to the rats. I feel like they have every right to show off their car. There SHOULD be an area though for people to park who specifically do not want to draw attention to their car but it should be up to the individual. But my first car was a $300 1985 chevy celebrity and I don't mind seeing someone who strapped a blower to a POS and is proud of what they've got.
piku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #453
natedogg713

Member #16998

My Ride:
2003 Nissan 350z

i had a good time

Thank you troll, and staff (VOLUNTEERS).

At this point is a learing expierence for those involved with the next event. For those with complains put it into constructive form and maybe start a thread for ideas for the next event. if you cant put it into constructive ideas or advice. shutup.

This event seems to be a logistical nightmare. but i would hate to see it go away and may get involved in the future myself. i could probably go on forever about individual posts that i have read but in short. what is illegal is illegal. and what is asked for you to not do is so we can continue to enjoy what we love and support a good cause at the same time. If youd like to see those go away then continue with the foolery, no justification will change the fact that we are not allowed to be in some places because of the way we act.
natedogg713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #454
TheAlchemist
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #24236

My Ride:
Procharged 2000 Trans Am

I had a good time seeing the wide array of personal rides and what people are into. I'm thankful that the event went off without any huge issues, at least I haven't heard of any huge issues like injuries, or accidents with people doing stupid stuff and hitting other cars.

TheAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #455
psymos
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #18735

My Ride:
07 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by piku View Post
1) I'm surprised the pot smoking was so offensive to so many people. I guess it's not going to be legalized in PA any time soon. Sure it was probably the wrong venue for it but still. (No I was not smoking and yes I was there with a young child who I can assure you gave zero ****s about the pot smoking).
maybe because its illegal??

im not claiming to be perfect, but i dont want to be around that bs, i have way too much to lose to associate myself/be in the general area of people that do that garbage.

but i guess i was just raised differently. (never drank until i was 21, and never smoked ever in my life.)

i think its time for me to sell my car and buy a classic and hang out with the older guys, they seem to be more of my style anyway
psymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #456
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

There's plenty of younger guys that arent into acting like kids or clowns. Every meet you go to will have it's share and people will continue to disagree about what is appropriate, I dont think you should sell your car lol. Theres no point to argue because the kids that want to tough talk and rep acting like an ass at a public event for an honest cause arent going to want to hear your side anyway, so save your breathe and in this case finger strength.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #457
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
There's plenty of younger guys that arent into acting like kids or clowns. Every meet you go to will have it's share and people will continue to disagree about what is appropriate, I dont think you should sell your car lol. Theres no point to argue because the kids that want to tough talk and rep acting like an ass at a public event for an honest cause arent going to want to hear your side anyway, so save your breathe and in this case finger strength.
I wouldn't say plenty... But there are a few.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #458
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

You probably have me there, but I consider myself and the people I associate with to be those guys

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #459
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drftpretty View Post
Literally the same **** every year. Someone needs to be elected to either contact the local Pd prior to the event, or be the single point of contact to ask asshats to leave. Walking around with cash to quel any requests for a refund. It's that simple.
We contact the police every year to let them know about the event. There are many steps that are taken as far as notifying police, EMT, getting insurance, the proper permits and waivers, traffic control, and more. What we have not done but will do next year is hire police specifically for the event, which comes at a very high cost but I believe is necessary at this point. Its sad that the amount we donate will have a chunk taken out of it for this, but if its necessary then its necessary.
I am the single point of contact, and there are a few others who are part of the event planning committee who are also 'management level' and able to make decisions on the fly. I personally worked very hard to minimize and control the disrespectful behavior from those in the crowd and cars as they were leaving, and I think I made a noticeable impact, but as one person I cannot cover it all (which brings me back to the first statement I made about hiring police for next year).
I don't expect someone who hasn't been involved in this event or one like it to understand how complex and challenging pulling this off is, and I'm not asking them to, but since you brought it up I just need to tell you that there isn't anything simple about planning this event. We have a group of experienced event planners who put in hundreds (thousands?) of collective hours planning the event as well as 20+ other volunteers who break their backs the day of to make this the best event they can. Unfortunately, without the cooperation of the people who attend to just follow the rules out of simple respect (whether they agree with them or not), then we are going to face some challenges each year. I think our volunteers did an excellent job this year and its too bad that they don't get more appreciation because they really do sacrifice a lot to offer this event for everyone. We weren't perfect but we will do everything we can to improve on these things for next year's event.

Quote:
Find a larger parking lot. Multiple entrances, multiple money takers, one entry fee, it's that easy.
I would honestly love a list of locations that can accommodate 3,000+ cars. Yes thats a challenge because its much more difficult than I thought and than you probably think, but if you can find alternative locations that can better accommodate us then I will consider any options in order to make the meet the best it can be.

Quote:
How much money was raised? Assuming all $2,000 cars paid just the $5 entry fee, that's $10,000. Can we skim $500 off for a private security company? How about donate to the FOP? It's that easy!
How about set $500 aside from last years meet, or setup a donation PayPal to buy caution tape, orange t shirt, signs, or trash cans? For being 7 years in, changes should be visible.
The police presence costs roughly $350 per officer for the day, and it was recommended that we have 5 officers on duty for the event... this will be expensive. We can and will front that money and it will just be an expense of the event if thats what we have to do. We wouldn't take any money from this year's event for that though, it will all be donated as we have always done.
And we have all of the supplies you mentioned... caution tape, staff shirts, trash cans, and much more of the required supplies to do this correctly.

Quote:
There isn't a landowner in the tristate with unutilized parking spaces who wouldn't allow the use of his parking lot for a single day charity event. Call the newspapers, invite some magazines, call radio stations, call channel 69, this could easily be managed better. And don't go saying "Then you run it Mr. Smarty pants." Because I would offer to. But then it would be considered insubordination.
Actually there aren't many land owners who would be interested in this kind of liability, so its just about the exact opposite of what you said. The size of this event makes it VERY difficult to pull off in the way that we do.
We have contacted newspapers and radio stations in the past, none have showed. I don't think that magazines or TV would be interested. I think you're overstepping to say that this could easily be managed better when you don't know anything about how it is managed now.
If you are serious about helping, message me and show me that you're serious. I would welcome the extra help with next year's event, its not nearly as complicated as you're making it out to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg713 View Post
Thank you troll, and staff (VOLUNTEERS).

At this point is a learing expierence for those involved with the next event. For those with complains put it into constructive form and maybe start a thread for ideas for the next event. if you cant put it into constructive ideas or advice. shutup.

This event seems to be a logistical nightmare. but i would hate to see it go away and may get involved in the future myself. i could probably go on forever about individual posts that i have read but in short. what is illegal is illegal. and what is asked for you to not do is so we can continue to enjoy what we love and support a good cause at the same time. If youd like to see those go away then continue with the foolery, no justification will change the fact that we are not allowed to be in some places because of the way we act.
Thank you for thanking the volunteers .
Just wanted to quite this whole post because this is really the way I would hope that everyone can think about this. We have rules in place so that we can have a successful event and be able to return again next year. When people don't follow the rules they are jeopardizing the future of the event which is a great day for thousands of people and also raises tens of thousands of dollars for a very noble cause. Its really disrespectful and just plain selfish to break any of those rules, its a very small minded way of approaching something that is a much bigger picture. Whether you agree with the rules or not just show some respect and follow them for the 3-6 hours you're at the event!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piku View Post
2) There is no tax writeoff for TST as far as I can tell. If they take in $X (income) and 100% of $X goes to charity, then $X is the writeoff but they gain nothing other than not having to declare all that money as income. I suspect a lot of people don't understand the words "write off" ;) As long as there is no skimming going on then it's legit. I have a lot more respect for TST and Bryan than I did in the past. I don't think there is any ulterior motive other than notoriety and a modest supplemental income. I also think there was surprisingly little TST whoring at the meet. I think it is what it is, a charity event.
Lol I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing, but I guess you liked what you saw so I'm glad . There are a bunch of people who are incredibly committed to pulling this event off, its really pretty extraordinary.
And you are correct, I collect the money but it passes through me down to the penny so there is no effective income or expense and I'm careful to keep it that way! All checks are made out directly to MAW and cash is gathered, totaled and after subtracting a short list of event expenses (property rental, insurance, toilets, trash, etc) then I write a check for that exact balance. This year's donation will be bigger than ever but I need to confirm a few amounts before I can announce it .

In case anyone is curious I'll list how the donations work again here:
100% donated from admission, VIP Parking, Sponsor donations, raffle ticket sales, and event t-shirt sales
25% of gross sales donated from TST Merchandise sales
20% of gross sales donated from Food Vendor sales

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|

Last edited by TROLL; 04-23-2013 at 11:46 PM.
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #460
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
I wanted to make a separate post here to thank everyone who came out to the meet and contributed to what this event is about... bringing the car community together for a fun positive day that everyone looks forward to all year, and also raising a ton of money to grant wishes for local Make-A-Wish children. These are kids right in our area who have attended our meets in the past, and we had "Wish Families" at the event this year also which is so awesome.

Reading through this thread there's a lot more of the bad being discussed even though it was a small part of a much bigger day that had a ton of positive and good in it. I know people get caught up in talking about the negatives but I hope that those who weren't at the event realize that this is a great successful event, with some glitches that are a minor part of the bigger picture. (Almost) Everyone comes out and has a great time, and looks forward to this event each year. So for the guys who were there, lets talk about our favorite positive memories from the event too, eh?

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|

Last edited by TROLL; 04-24-2013 at 09:08 AM.
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote