TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Regional (Yup, Tri-State is really Five-State) > New York
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
MikeK
Tri-State Addict

Member #18132

My Ride:
06' STi

Inspection

Chances of my SR20DET passing???

The shops I went to months ago said they needed to dyno it since its a 1990

thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
eviljokerSTI
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8332

My Ride:
2004 Subaru WRX STi

are you trying to get inspected in NY or NJ (you location says NJ) here in NY anything (i think its)pre-93 has to be dyno inspected for emissions, my buddy with a 91 240 had to do it and failed, due to the modified exhaust, mostly all the shops that do the dyno inspections are ones that wont bother strapping your car on there if it has any exhaust mod.
eviljokerSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:
'98 240sx, 98 Impreza L, 00 SV650

Send a message via AIM to 420sx
Cant say I agree with that.

Basically what we're talking about here is passing emissions. Your cars model year is what determines the type of test done for emissions. For 96+ cars, the basic principle is that OBD2 ecu's "test themselves" essentially. All they have to do is scan them, and see that the ECU says everything is normal. For older cars, the ECU wont give this information, so they need to physically test how much your car is polluting by using the tailpipe sniffer. This measures your levels of co2, nox, etc- the levels of which (max and min) are predetermined by (i guess itd be by the state) for your vehicle. The fact that you have an SR20 doesnt mean you automatically fail- in fact youre lucky that your car is a 1990, because if it were 96+, you would automatically fail. This is because when theyd go to plug into a newer car with their scan tool, its not an ECU that their scanner will recognize, and youll fail. On older cars, you just need to bring your emission gasses within spec. This means running a cat. If you want to pass emissions somewhat legally without "knowing someone" youre gonna have to put a cat on. If that doesnt get it to pass, put another cat on. As long as they dont fail you visually simply on the basis of it being a JDM motor, you should be able to get it to pass emissions.

I would just ask around to shops "listen, i got a car with an sr20, but it still has a cat and should pass emissions. will you inspect it?" I would think that most performance shops in your area will have dealt with this before and should be able to help you out.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
ProjectX
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #19080

My Ride:
95 GSX

I was wondering about this aswell, and what shops are around brooklyn that handle these kid of things
ProjectX is offline   Reply With Quote