TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: How long did it take for you to get your license?
1 Week 4 30.77%
2 Weeks 5 38.46%
3 Weeks 1 7.69%
4 Weeks 1 7.69%
Longer 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

How long to get your License to carry concealed weapon

How long did it take you, vote than post the actual amount of time?

Thanks
AutobahnRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
rodder
Tri-State Addict

Member #6807

My Ride:
2005 STi, 1987 S10

The law allows up to 45 days for the sheriff to approve or deny. Mine took the full 45 days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

I did see that. What county are you in?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Xavier
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7219

My Ride:
has that V-Twin rumble

Took me about two weeks in Chester County.
$50 if some one will break nicks fingers. i dont know how many times i can read just how cool he is.
Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
rodder
Tri-State Addict

Member #6807

My Ride:
2005 STi, 1987 S10

Northampton County

rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
WKderF
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #30

My Ride:
Taste The Beast

Send a message via AIM to WKderF
ill try & break down how long mine took:

went to local PD for local background check & waited 5-10 for results which came back clean,

drove 40 min to montgomery county court house with clean local check paperwork,

waited in line about 7 min for my turn,

filled out paperwork, paid, had picture taken,

walked out with License.

In all, The whole process took about a little over an hour.

This was Cheltenham Township in Montgomery County. I realize my experience is not the norm, & that most people have to wait weeks for the local check to be completed. I dont know why or how cheltenham was able to do the check so quickly, but it seemed like just another day at the office for them.
WKderF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
DC2.2GSR
Tri-State Addict

Member #5220

My Ride:
is completely stock and gets great gas mileage.

There's no option for < 10 minutes. lol. I drove 5 minutes to the police station where the Sheriff was holding a 'remote' LTCF day. I parked my car, walked all the way into the back room where a single guy was sitting reading a book and waiting for people. He did his thing, handed me me LTCF and I was back in my car in 9 minutes.

Aside from "Constitutional Carry" like Vermont, that's the way it should work. In and out... ASAP. PA is a "shall issue" state and all counties must give you a LTCF unless there's a specific reason found that bar you from obtaining the LTCF (like a felony record). The Sheriff can determine whether or not you're eligible alomost immediately with the PICS phone call just as if you were buying a gun. There's absolutely no reason that some counties wait as long as they do or like MontCo, force you to jump through hoops and drive to the local PD and then back to the courthouse and then wait (in most cases)... they just hate guns and gun owners and are doing everything they possibly can to annoy the s*** out of you. The law says 45 days including weekends... 1.5 months... is the limit. They must issue by then.

I'm not really trying to pick on you or anything, but why the new thread for a poll? The only people who carry a firearm on this site are already very active within the 'I like Guns' thread. I think we've almost all responded here already. lol.

Last edited by DC2.2GSR; 11-23-2010 at 07:36 PM.
DC2.2GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
OutToWinPAHC
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5081

My Ride:
R33 GTS25T, RHD E46, Truck, part R32 GTR

Send a message via AIM to OutToWinPAHC
22 hours
OutToWinPAHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

Well mine actually came today, submitted it Last Tuesday and it came today. I am very happy.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
1988 Olds
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #201

My Ride:
2012 Chevy Cruze

Send a message via AIM to 1988 Olds
Mine too about two weeks and we might as well set you straight now. In PA its a License to Cary Firearm (LTCF) not CCW

Dynoed at 237hp and 292lbs at the rear wheels.
Hmm ran 13.52 @ 103.42 11/10/06
1994 Hunter Green Acura Integra DB7, Stock
1988 Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
I'm not really trying to pick on you or anything, but why the new thread for a poll? The only people who carry a firearm on this site are already very active within the 'I like Guns' thread. I think we've almost all responded here already. lol.
Its cool, very valid question. Too much too read, too many sub topics going on, and this sticks out more. Reason I asked because I was curious as to the duration of most people and their counties.

License is for concealed to my understanding. Open carry does not need any license in PA

Quote:
By David M. Goldman on May 29, 2008 10:27 AM
To carry a handgun concealed in public, an individual must possess a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms (LTCF, 18 PA.C.S. § 6106) or an equivalent license issued by a state that Pennsylvania honors (See www.attorneygeneral.gov for up to date reciprocity agreements).

An individual may carry a concealed handgun, without a LTCF:

1. in one's home,
2. fixed place of business, and
3. on private property where permission has been given

(18 PA.C.S. § 6106).

Moreover, an individual cannot carry a handgun in a vehicle without a valid Pennsylvania LTCF or an equivalent license issued by a state that Pennsylvania honors (18 PA.C.S. § 6106). Nevertheless, an individual with a LTCF is NOT required to carry concealed; he/she may carry openly, including in cities of the first class, such as Philadelphia.

Under the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act (UFA), Pennsylvania resident LTCF are issued by the county sheriff of the jurisdiction in which the applicant resides. Nonresidents licenses are issued by select county sheriff offices.

Pennsylvania is a "shall issue" state, meaning that the appropriate sheriff must issue the license, unless the applicant is prohibited.
There are places which are off-limits in Pennsylvania , when concealed carrying. These include:

1. All Federal Facilities (Unless Authorized);
2. All Court Facilities;
3. State Parks (except while in a vehicle);
4. Adult and Juvenile Detention Facilities; and 5. Airport Terminals (secure areas only).

The issue of both open and concealed carry on school property has not been determined. Per 18 PA.C.S. 912, possession of "a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school" is a misdemeanor of the first degree. However, the statute allows for "a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose."

There is an issue of the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP newsletter regarding CCW on/in schools zones. It gives an example of a PA concealed license permit as being an exception to the federal law; however, there is no definitive answer at this time. You might read page 3 of the PSP newsletter regarding CCW on/in a school zone.PA firearms2006_Dec.pdf

It should be noted that Pennsylvania allows the concealed (with a LTCF) or open carry of a firearm in an establishment that sells or serves alcohol.

Last edited by AutobahnRacer; 11-23-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
OutToWinPAHC
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5081

My Ride:

Yes... but don't do it in Pittsburg or Philadelphia.... They have superseded code and plenty of case law that will cause you to land your @ss in jail. I wonder how myself, but play it safe.... concealed permit.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutToWinPAHC View Post
22 hours
In Philadelphia County?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
OutToWinPAHC
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5081

My Ride:

Bucks.... However, I used to be a state trooper as well
Old 11-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

Quote:
Yes... but don't do it in Pittsburg or Philadelphia.... They have superseded code and plenty of case law that will cause you to land your @ss in jail. I wonder how myself, but play it safe.... concealed permit.
So what happens when you live there and have to renew? I thought you had to go to the county in which you live to apply for new or renewal.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #16
OutToWinPAHC
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5081

My Ride:

I said don't open carry in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh county without a LTCF. It is legal in every county but those two without a permit. The are considered cities of first class, and require permit.

And I live in Bucks County.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #17
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

Ohhh I knew that, my mistake I thought you were referring to actually getting the license. My apologies.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #18
olletsocmit
Tri-State Addict

Member #4210

My Ride:
2008 VW Rabbit

Send a message via AIM to olletsocmit
It all depends where you get it, we talked about this a lot in the "I like guns" thread. I live in Montgomery county. mine took verrrrry long. I do have a kinda shady criminal record, but it still should not take more then a month. In Bucks... you can walk in and get it and be out the door in less than 45 min.
olletsocmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #19
DC2.2GSR
Tri-State Addict

Member #5220

My Ride:
is completely stock and gets great gas mileage.

Quote:
What??

Open carry is perfectly legal while on foot in Pittsburgh without a LTCF and also perfectly legal in Philadelphia with a valid LTCF (because it's the only City of the First Class in PA). There is no superseding the Uniform Firearms Act... it is the law. The Philadelphia's Police Department, which is made up of barely educated, corrupt thugs who couldn't care less what the law says, have been told numerous times about open carry in Philly being legal with a LTCF... specifically during their 2009 MPOETC training. It's those warped individuals who have completely distorted the law and have some sort of false impression that open carry is illegal and who wrongly arrest/detain/steal openly carried weapons from people who are well within their rights to open carry within the city because they hold a valid LTCF.

Because of recent events, they have been updated yet again, but they have chosen to write it into their "department policy" that officers are to stop, disarm, and check for LTCF if they see someone open carrying. That's against the law, but they will continue to break the law until someone steps in and puts up a legal fight. Fortunately for all of us, whether we choose to open carry or not, that's happening right now.

Basically, after a long winded post, everyone needs to understand that open carry IS legal in both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and there is nothing in case law or otherwise that says anything about it being illegal. If you happen to get hassled by either department or at worst, detained or arrested or have your weapon confiscated, well then you might just end up with a good chuck of money for your troubles.

ETA: I didn't see your other post.. I thought you were saying don't OC in either city at all. I see that you understand that LTCF is required to OC in Philly, but it is not required in Pittsburgh unless you hop in a car.

Last edited by DC2.2GSR; 11-23-2010 at 10:36 PM.
DC2.2GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #20
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
And I live in Bucks County.