TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 03-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Dave's 2005 STi *SOLD--Evo Time!* R.I.P. 10/4/05 to 10/19/09

Info Directory:
BC Racing BR Series coilovers Review
BC Racing BR Series coilovers Final Review
Turbo Discussion 1
RCE T2's Ordered
AMs Lightweight Battery Kit
RCE T2's arrive! 1
RCE T2's arrive! 2
RCE T2's arrive! 3
Initial RCE T2's Review
Carbing Front Subframe Review
Perrin Headers
Kartboy Pitch Stop Mount Review
Car Feel/Update on Plans
Recaro Seat Review
Turbo 2.5L Pump Gas Reality
Car Feel/Update on Plans 2
Kartboy Botox Bolts Review
Finished Suspension Thoughts
Final Thoughts on Suspension Tuning on the Subaru GD STi Platform

I had one of these on IWSTI but could never keep it updated and it is currently buried somewhere around page 6,007 on that forum. With that said, here is the current mod list:

Power:
APS 65mm Intake
Gimmick Motorsports MAF Hose
Gimmick Motorsports Turbo Inlet
Static X VF-39 Turbo Wrap
Cobb Turbo Heatshield
AREA1320 Ported Intercooler Y Pipe
Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley
Perrin Equal Length Header (Coated)
Helix Catted Downpipe
Borla XR1 Catback
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
Prodrive 3-Port EBCS*
Cobb AP w/ Street Tuner
Innovate LC-1 Wideband Kit*
TopSpeed PROtuned 306awhp/341awtq with the Helix dp, a K&N Typhoon, and a 3" eBay catback.
AREA1320 Sticker +50hp

Driveline:
Kartboy Exhaust Hangers
TiC Rear Differential Bushings
TiC Subframe Outrigger Bushings
Kartboy Botox Bolts
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
Kartboy Pitch Stop Mount
Kartboy Front Shifter Bushing
Cobb Double-Adjustable Short Throw Shifter
TiC Shifter Linkage Bushings
TiC Shifter Pivot Bushing
TiC Rear Shifter Stay Bushing
TiC Transmission Crossmember Bushings

Suspension:
RaceComp Engineering Tarmac IIs 500/400
Vorshlag Front and Rear Camber Plates
RaceComp Engineering 25.5-28.5mm Front Swaybar
RaceComp Engineering 25.5-28.5mm Rear Swaybar
Kartboy Front and Rear Swaybar Endlinks
Whiteline 'Comfort' Anti-Lift Kit
Whiteline Roll Center Adjuster Kit
Group N Lateral Links Bushings*
Group N Trailing Arms Bushings*

Brakes:
Ferodo DS2500 pads
DBA 4000 Series Front Rotors
Technafit SS Lines
Perrin Brake Master Cylinder Brace
ATE Super Blue Fluid

Chassis Stiffening:
Carbing Front Subframe Brace
CL Development X-brace
TiC Fender Braces

Interior:
EVO VIII Recaro Driver and Passenger Seats
Wedge Engineering Seat Brackets and Height Adjusters
JDM S203 Hazard Button
Autospeed Dead Pedal
JDM Auto Intercooler Spray Button
Prodrive Floormats
2007 OEM Radio w/ Aux. Input and Sub
2007 OEM Sirius SAT Radio Box
10th Street JDM Alcantara Shift Knob

Exterior:
JDM Rear Spats
AREA1320 Painted and De-Badged Front Grill
BeatRush Titanium Belt Cover
Greddy Titanium Radiator Cooling Plate
AMS lightweight battery kit to reduce weight
Grimmspeed Hood Dampers
Black O.Z. Ultraleggera 18x8 wheels w/ 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600 tires (Summer)
Stock BBS w/ 225/45/17 Toyo Proxes 4 tires (Winter)

* - waiting to be installed or on order.
** - waiting to be removed.

Future Mod List Goals:
-Perrin GT30R .82 rotated turbo kit w/ crinkle red piping
-Perrin Stealth FMIC with crinkle red piping
-Perrin Blow-Through Boost Tube
-Perrin CAI Extension
-Cobb AP V2
-Deatschwerks 850cc injectors
-TGV Deletes
-Cosworth Intake Manifold
-ACT clutch upgrade
-ACPT CF Driveshaft
-DBA 5000 front brake rotors
-DBA 4000 rear brake rotors
-Carbing Under Panel
-APR Strut Tower Bar
-Group N Engine Mount
-Group N Trans Mount
-Upgraded Oil Pickup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 10-25-2009 at 10:55 PM.
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
BillFromTR
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1259

Nice mod list and plans! All this looks vaguely familiar. I might have seen it on IWSTi.

BillFromTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Honest_Bob
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1179

My Ride:
05 WRX Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Honest_Bob
Looking good!

Honest_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Thanks guys

Here are some pics:

yada yada

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-30-2008, 11:13 PM   #5
RyanG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #63

Send a message via AIM to RyanG
gaaaaaaaaayyyyy :P

oh looky at that Uber sweet grill :D

RyanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA1320 View Post
gaaaaaaaaayyyyy :P

oh looky at that Uber sweet grill :D

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Bump for a mini-write up on my BC Racing BR Series non-inverted coilover experience after a year:

I've noticed that spring preload and adjuster settings can make a world of difference on these coilovers. Here's my experience with the different settings on re070s and toyo proxes 4 tires all at the recommended 14" front /13.5" rear ride height setting:

RE070:

full soft = ride the wave. a little bit too comfy..spring isn't being controlled enough.

5 clicks from full soft = the right setting for the stiff sidewall for ride comfort around town.

10 clicks = less roll but more pain over potholes and ridges

15 clicks on up = autocross settings, not street friendly over bumps.

Toyo Proxes 4 (gummy bear tires):

full soft = dear god, rides like an 1980's oldsmobile

5 clicks from soft = spring is not controlled by the damper, rebound too high with no compression.

8 clicks from full soft = spring still not controlled as much, very wavy and bouncy but the bounce is slowed over say full soft. the damper is working, but needs more behind it to control the spring rate and tire sidewall.

10 clicks from soft = almost right, compression is up to hold the spring, but rebound a bit too much.

12 clicks from soft = perfect for these tires. a little too much rebound, but appropriate compression. bumps are mostly soaked up by the damper, although you will feel some hits which get settled right away. multiple succession of bumps causes the tires to lose traction in a turn, meaning the damper is being overwhelmed, but hey...still comfortable.

higher than 12 = haven't tried yet on these tires since they're really just that awful for performance driving. i have a feeling that you'd have less roll, less damper compliance, and more tire sliding.

Whats nice to note, see and experience is that the adjuster does work and does a decent job of making appropriate changes considering the price range these are in. I think the different tires have shown that its a very significant advantage to having an adjustable shock on your car. I know the 65% critically damped motion ratio is the ideal, but without factoring in the tire sidewall, you can really under or overshoot your desired ride quality and performance with a non-adjustable shock, IMO. Even though these aren't that good in the grand scheme of shocks, they're still able to support different tire compounds enough that I can find a sweet spot for the track and street at different settings. Total recommended advantage to have on your car, 65% or not.

I've had the opportunity to flog an Acura TL Type-S around and noted that even that oem sport suspension has a lot of the same failings as the BC setup. It'll bobble and lose composure over ripples in the road and has a bit too much rebound over the bigger holes in the road. A lower spring rate helps mitigate some of the crashing, but the valving felt very familar to me.

Just to add this thought: For $1k, these are a tremendous value and I'm still surprised at their capability almost a year later. No leaks or issues with the shocks yet and no signs of coilbind either. They're able to compete at the higher levels of autocross against more expensive brands and don't kill your backside over 98% of the roads around here when they're on the right settings. I'm very pleased.

Issues to date:
Front camber plates squeak.
Rears clunk occasionally, but I'm starting to think thats more from the X-Brace needing to be tightened down at the strut tops.
Overheated the front struts during back to back runs through the Tail of the Dragon on RE070s. Adjusters slipped into their clicks and the shock response became slower and wonky. I don't have a technical way to describe it other than wonky.

Things I'd improve on:
More strut travel. Total travel is 122mm...not the least on the market, but not the 164mm that TiC can boast or the 162mm that RCE has on their T2's.
Better springs. Something thats lighter, more linear, less coils...like a Swift.
Better valving. Minor complaint because I'm used to the JDM way of valving, but I definitely prefer how the Europeans do it instead. Driving an M3 or any 3 series sport suspension vs. the competing Japanese sport suspension is a total eye-opener in valving philosophy.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
CHAOS
TST Ruined My Life!
Banned

Member #2120

My Ride:
1984 Cadillac Brougham

sweet write up dave.
CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOS View Post
sweet write up dave.
Thanks man. I'm going to try a higher setting than 12 to see what happens. I'm not expecting to see any additional ride quality out of it, but worth a quick spin of the adjusters.

I'll edit the original post as I learn more from tinkering with these things.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-27-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
CHAOS
TST Ruined My Life!
Banned

Member #2120

My Ride:
1984 Cadillac Brougham

fwiw, my ohlins are 20 clicks from stiff ... RCE was like wow thats a good bit past what we recommend... i said well PA roads are a good bit ****tier than the rest of the country lol
Old 05-27-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
redline
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #784

Send a message via AIM to redline
Quote:
fwiw, my ohlins are 20 clicks from stiff ... RCE was like wow thats a good bit past what we recommend... i said well PA roads are a good bit ****tier than the rest of the country lol
+1

Nice car dude! BTW your shiftknob is on backwards
Old 05-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
yup!

Over the worst of bumps, you're definitely reminded that these cost $1k (WAY too much rebound and not enough strut travel...hello bumpstop), but for most of the roads around my commute and house they've done a great job improving the ride quality over stock struts and springs.

What's been fun figuring out is how the ride quality improved going with stiffer settings.

I like the Ohlins setup, my buddy has them with JDM Pinks. That's how the car should have come from the factory.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
CHAOS
TST Ruined My Life!
Banned

Member #2120

My Ride:
1984 Cadillac Brougham

lol the car should come with a catless downpipe and coilovers from the factory.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #14
sherwood
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2221

My Ride:
arggg 32, vr jetta.

Send a message via AIM to sherwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
+1

Nice car dude! BTW your shiftknob is on backwards

welcome!
Quote:
But I am sure the exhaust is angled for back pressure to have a faster spool-up for larger size turbochargers @ low RPM
sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #15
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
lol the car should come with a catless downpipe and coilovers from the factory.
stage 2 and coilovers from the factory FTMFW!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #16
CHAOS
TST Ruined My Life!
Banned

Member #2120

My Ride:
1984 Cadillac Brougham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
stage 2 and coilovers from the factory FTMFW!
oh and dom 3's or gt52's as well. and a fuel system that could handle 600whp... and... a cf driveshaft... and... 9.5" wide wheels... and proper downfoce.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #17
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
oh and dom 3's or gt52's as well. and a fuel system that could handle 600whp... and... a cf driveshaft... and... 9.5" wide wheels... and proper downfoce.
STi Type R!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #18
CHAOS
TST Ruined My Life!
Banned

Member #2120

My Ride:
1984 Cadillac Brougham

lol ra-r????? eh? eh??? come on!!!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #19
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
lol ra-r????? eh? eh??? come on!!!!!
no vtec, no care!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #20
CHAOS
TST Ruined My Life!
Banned

Member #2120

My Ride:
1984 Cadillac Brougham

lmao.