TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #401
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

is there any type of warranty on the gates stuff? or are you pretty much SOL?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:31 PM   #402
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Wow! That's a lucky break. Gates normally makes quality components too, wild.
I've used Gates for years without issue. I'm so thankful I decided to tear it all apart. Can't believe it legitimately happened right after an oil change too That really threw a wrench in my diagnosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
is there any type of warranty on the gates stuff? or are you pretty much SOL?
Gates has a normal, mediocre limited warranty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates View Post
"Goods are warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for the life of the Goods (or the published recommended replacement interval specified by Gates)"
But it involves shipping them your stuff and I'm sure they'll tell you it wasn't installed correctly. Instead I decided to just order all of the OEM components today from Subaru including the timing covers that the belt fried instead of chancing it again with them. I know it was a fluke because they sell SO many kits, but for my sanity I just couldn't put another one of their tensioners on it.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:50 AM   #403
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Update time!

I got the Scoobie back on the road, and she's been purring ever since. Turns out it was the water pump that failed prematurely, belt skipped teeth, ruined almost everything in the timing assembly. Thankfully nothing was hurt and I caught it just in time. I purchased all OEM components this time around. I also redid a wheel bearing in the back left that I did when I got the car. The hub was bad, but I didn't replace it the first time (figured it was fine) so it wiped out my fresh bearing. This time I put in a fresh Dorman hub as well as a Timken bearing. It's crazy how much of a difference a wheel bearing can make. It has been singing for 30K miles and I just now got around to repairing it. I can hear myself think again.

I have also been working quite a bit on the iX parts cars, but finally took a night to work on the iS.

I got done a few things that I've been meaning to do for a long time, along with one major development in the build.

I first addressed the rear end. My differential pigtail was deteriorated, so I spliced in a new one. I also filled the diff with Redline (w/LSD additive) and installed my fresh speed sensor.

No bueno:

Bueno:

Something I've been putting off for a long time: wiring up my ellipsoids.

Now for the bigger update. I visited mjweimer over the weekend and got to see his wonderful aluminum 24v build, and we also did some trading. In order to actually enjoy my car, I brought home Matt's 140K M20b25 to install in my car and finally get it on the road to enjoy during this upcoming season. My car was auto when I bought it, so I also have to convert the car over to manual when I drop the M20 in.

I cannot install the engine right away because I have yet to spray the engine bay (Indiana is cold as of late), so I'm going to reseal the M20 while I wait for warmth and get everything ready to drop in. I have a very limited budget for the M20 and still need an exhaust among other things, so I am going to try my hardest to not go crazy with mods.

24v is still the long term plan, but I think with the complete suspension overhaul I've done to the car, the M20 will be a lot of fun. I have half the mind to sell the 24v stuff and do a simple 2.8L M20 build with a mild cam, but don't want to lose money on what I just purchased 24v-wise, so I think I'll stick with it and hopefully finish when time and money allow.

That's all for now, folks.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #404
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Pretty stuff to look at:

Old 01-16-2018, 12:02 AM   #405
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
engine in back of car = nutcase
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #406
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
If that's the case...I'm sure there are more than a few nutcases here.

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #407
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
If that's the case...I'm sure there are more than a few nutcases here.
hey at least it's functional!

And the plus side is I still get thumbs up from 55 y/o female environmentalists all the way home
Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 AM   #408
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Well, I guess I should say the risky use of engine crane more so than the engine in the trunk, lol. I've carted engines around in my cars, but I always just picked them up by myself or grabbed a buddy. Surely picking up a I6 BMW engine by hand is nearly an impossibility, lol
Old 01-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #409
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Well, I guess I should say the risky use of engine crane more so than the engine in the trunk, lol. I've carted engines around in my cars, but I always just picked them up by myself or grabbed a buddy. Surely picking up a I6 BMW engine by hand is nearly an impossibility, lol
Oh you're definitely right haha, the hoist comes within .5" of my hatch glass. I have it down to a science- I've got a special chain for it too. Can't say it doesn't make me a bit nervous every time though
Old 01-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #410
empera
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3674

My Ride:
67.5 Roadster, 00 Outback, 93.5 Supra tt, 88 Shiro, Tundra, turbo sc300

Send a message via AIM to empera
Hey found myself an e30, planning on doing the 2jz swap. I'll post pics in my thread when i get the car over to the shop!
empera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #411
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by empera View Post
Hey found myself an e30, planning on doing the 2jz swap. I'll post pics in my thread when i get the car over to the shop!
So glad you found an E30! I am pumped for the build.

I think you can use a front sump VVTi lower pan and pickup to fit over the subframe. Also it goes without saying (and I doubt you'll need any help) but if you have any E30 related questions feel free to reach out.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #412
empera
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3674

My Ride:

Thanks man! already have a motor but no trans, probably staying auto. I just need to figure out what rear diff will handle any decent amount of power. Also how big of a tire will the e30 accept? This particular one is an 87 btw
Old 01-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #413
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Thanks man! already have a motor but no trans, probably staying auto. I just need to figure out what rear diff will handle any decent amount of power. Also how big of a tire will the e30 accept? This particular one is an 87 btw
Early models have a higher rear arch, so it's a bit easier to fit a bigger tire. On the rear you could get away with a 245 with a rolL, up front 225-235. Any bigger and youll need to flare it. A company called KA Motors makes nice looking flares for a decent price. I personally don't care for flares on an E30 because the stock body lines look so good.

As far as diff, I don't think it'll be your limiting factor. Any medium case diff (188mm, 8 bolts on back plate) will do. If you put traction down your weak point will be in the rear halfshafts. A company called CA Tuned made HD chromoly rear halfshafts but I'm not certain they make them anymore (you can call them). Obviously driveshaft shop makes an HD variant but they're crazy expensive.

If you're able to hook, keep some spare used stockers around.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #414
empera
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3674

My Ride:

Great to hear, i may have an extra motor to go with it, do you need any parts? Its a 1987 325i auto sedan.

What do i do about the big ass bumpers lol

Last edited by empera; 01-19-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:45 PM   #415
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Great to hear, i may have an extra motor to go with it, do you need any parts? Its a 1987 325i auto sedan.

What do i do about the big ass bumpers lol
Oh nice! I don't need anything at the moment (I still have 4 parts cars out in Indiana with me ). But on the 325i you have the 'good' engine. The 885 cylinder head is desirable, as is the wiring harness/ECU/intake mani/TB (folks put them on the "e" motors to make a cheap stroker). You should be able to get $300 out of that kit there. The 4hp22 doesn't really sell for anything but if you get lucky you can occasionally get $100 out of them (I normally end up scrapping them).

Two ways to get rid of the big bumpers.

1) The red car I linked on one of the past few pages is an early model car like you have with european bumpers. That's the best option, but it's not cheap to do. Here's a link to what you need:

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_E...985_1986_1987/

2) The cheap way: you can actually drill a hole in each of the bumper shocks and "tuck" the metal bumpers by compressing the shocks.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqs5EK3LULI

Edit: this is one of my favorite 2j e30 builds:

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=286243

Last edited by blue91lx; 01-19-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:19 PM   #416
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Not too bad for backyard bob in an afternoon with some paintscratch love. I'm going to do this again at a later date, but this is exactly what I need for the time being.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #417
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Looks great for the effort put in! and it'll keep rust at bay too
Old 02-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #418
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Looks great for the effort put in! and it'll keep rust at bay too
Thanks man! It'll seal things up until I can do a better repaint in the future.

Also, your pun did not go unnoticed.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:17 PM   #419
empera
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3674

My Ride:

your attention to detail is great!
Old 02-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #420
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
your attention to detail is great!
Thanks man. I couldn't blend it very well with a spray can, but I think once the engine and accessories are all back in it'll work!