TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #41
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Love the firt pit. I actually want to build one around my new grill... but want to have chilled cabinets and a sink too!
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #42
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

Send a message via AIM to grimm
like an outdoor kitchen, yea i would love one too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #43
2slowvw
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #21163

My Ride:
MK2 N/A jetta

screw all that exotic stuff.
2slowvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #44
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

24-48 hours in: McCormick Grill Mates Mesquite Marinade(I used 3 packs for about 14 large wings)
Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and Brown Sugar BBQ
Brown sugar

I added a few spoonfuls of brown sugar to the BBQ sauce. I also poured a little bit of the leftover marinade to the BBQ sauce as well.

Simple enough to grill the wings at about 450* until they are browned, then add some BBQ sauce, a minute or 2 later sprinkel some extra brown sugar on. Took about a minute or 2 for the brown sugar to melt, then plate and eat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimm View Post
like an outdoor kitchen, yea i would love one too.
Baseically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slowvw View Post

screw all that exotic stuff.
You must have a vagina.

Last edited by jpalamar; 07-05-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #45
2slowvw
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #21163

My Ride:
MK2 N/A jetta

lol. I'm just a horrible cook. I leave the exotic crap up to my girl.
2slowvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #46
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

Made some really good turkey teryaki burgers with some flaked rye.
1lb ground turkey
2-3 tblsp teryaki marinade
1/2 an onion
1tbls garlic powder
1tbls oregano
pepper to taste
couple hand fulls of flaked rye
gentle mix all in a bowl
make patties
grill

must say i do not like the black bear natural casing hot dogs, they ****ing explode even when you poke holes in them to drain the oils.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #47
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Jay, i got your text over the weekend. That looks delicious.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #48
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Fire-Roasted Strawberries

2 dozon fresh strawberries
4 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/4 of orange flavored liquor
butter

Cut the stems off, wash, and dry the strawberries. Combine them with the sugar, vanilla, and liqour and mix to evenly coat

Butter an 8X8 pan lightly and put berries in a 8X8 pan as flat and single layered as possible.

Grill(baking to a real man is on the grill) the pan at about 450-500* for about 10 minutes or until the berries get soft.

Let the berries cool for a little and then serve over top some vanilla bean icecream... don't forget to pour some of the juices from the pan on as well.

Last edited by jpalamar; 08-04-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #49
piku
Tri-State Addict

Member #12166

My Ride:
335i/M3

For the BEST new york strips you will ever have...

Take your steak and apply a nice coating of sea salt to both sides. Let it sit on the counter for between half hour an an hour, depending on how thick. The thin **** steaks I get from giant only need half an hour.

After that's up, rinse the steaks off and dry them very well with paper towels.

preheat the grill for 10 minutes on the highest setting possible for all burners. Now turn the back one or two burners to medium. Very quickly open the lid and put the steaks on for 1 minute. After a minute open the lid again and quickly turn for another minute. Now if you like your steaks bloody, take them off, transfer to a plate and cover with aluminum foil for at least 5 minutes to rest. If you want more of a medium rare, leave it for 2 more minutes on each side on the medium burners. If you want well done, go for a 10 minute total cook time. In any case, leave it sit on a plate under foil for 5-10 minutes.

Better than any steakhouse new york strip I've had yet... I haven't tried this with a fillet yet.

DO NOT SALT the steak after rinsing, it'll already be salty as hell. The salt makes for a nice flavor and tenderizes the steak a lot. Salting and drying the steak makes sure it is grilled/fried rather than steamed (yuck), the high heat searing gives the edges of the steak that crisp steakhouse edge. The fat line on the edge of a new york strip is *unbelievably tasty* when cooked this way.

Oh, and DON'T drop the steak on the ground. That's my secret recipe
piku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #50
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Dry ages 2" thick Delmonico...

On the grill...

Perectly cooked medium...

Leave the steak out to get to ambient temp before cooking. Season no more then 30 minutes before cooking. The grilling trick, heat the grill to about 500* and then put the burner under the steak on low. Grill for 11 minutes on each side. Let stand for about 5 minutes after removing from the grill and then enjoy.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #51
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, I was actually going to post it in the "Whatever" thread but then wanted to see if anything else existed first...

I know there was some quality grill discussion going on in here a ways back, can anyone help me either in the thread or via PM to help guide me toward a decent quality yet decently priced grill? I only aspire to be as serious and successful as some of you guys, I'm not there yet at all. It will be on dinner duty 3-4 times a week most likely, usually only for two but it would be nice to be able to cook for more when we have people over.
If looking for a nicer more expensive grill used on Craigslist or similar is a good option thats cool with me too.
Thanks!

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #52
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Whats your price range?

Anything special you need(size, side burner, smoker, ect)?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #53
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
I have no idea what my prize range should be to be honest, I've never researched this stuff, but am about to because I'm ready to do some grilling!
I don't foresee needing a side burner or smoker, unless you guys recommend them and that I'll get good use out of them. As far as size, would that be dictated by how many people you're cooking for? I'd guess that I'd be looking to cook 4 portions at a time most of the time, and the option to cook more from time to time would be nice.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #54
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

you ladies need to learn to work a charcoal grill. no need to be all hank hill'ing it. get yourself some good hardwood lump charcoal, no brickettes, a starter chimney and go to town.

i want to start upgrading my cheapy grill to have an attached smoker box and a better thermostat.

takes about 20 minutes to get the charcoal started in the chimney and another 10-20 to get the grill up to temp. the hardwood lump charcoal stacked in a pile will last a decent amount of time and be hot as hell. great for indirect cooking and then searing (which is how you want to cook a steak)

i've cooked all kinds of things, from clams in a cast iron pan, steaks, chicken, pork shoulder, etc. would love to get into smoking some more.

Bryan, a smoker addition would be great. Lowes sells wood chips in the grilling section specifically for smoking. smoking is gooood stuff, but really perfect for slow cooking something like a pork shoulder.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #55
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

my vote would be for a weber. You can find them starting out around $500 and up. I've had many charbroil grills before and they do a decent job but they don't last more than a year or so before you need to start replacing things, and even then they won't last as long as a weber. Being that you are also in FL and might have more salt in the air due to the ocean I would be worried that something cheap will rust out much quicker there then in PA. A weber will be an investment but should last you. You would be fine with a 3 burner weber, look at the genisis for the pimp model and the spitit for the economy model.

Side burner is your choice, but i find it useful and probably wouldn't get a grill without one. As for a smoker, you can buy a smoker box to put over the burners, i got a cheap on on amazon and it works great for giving your meats a slight smoked/charcoal grill flavor. But ifyou're looking to smoke meats for hours, buy a smoker to do that, no propane grill will work as well.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #56
AWD GS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8729

My Ride:
VIP Luxury, Dynaride & R6

this thread

Old 05-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #57
04BlueSRT4
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1543

My Ride:
Figure It Out

Send a message via AIM to 04BlueSRT4
Excellent thread,
I'll dig up the recipes I use for BBQ Chicken and Teriyaki Chicken, and as said before charcoal is better then propane but there's just too many times when it too convenient to use propane

04BlueSRT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #58
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

Send a message via AIM to HickRocket1258
I just bought a Kenmoore grill not long ago. Probably a little over a month ago. I wish I had more time to grill but this grill has been amazing so far and is great for the price. I wanted a Weber bad, but I couldn't put the money up front.

Just a mustang that's lowered.....that's about it.

Work harder....Millions on welfare depend on you!
HickRocket1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #59
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

My parents gave me a Weber Summit Platinum :-) The joys of buying your kids love when they forget your birthday LOL.

Needless to say, it is worlds better then any othe grill I ever had. It is excessive and I would deal with a smalle model, but the quality it cooks and is built its second to none that I've ever used. None of my $400ish grills ever lasted more then a few seasons. In the long run it would of been cheaper to just do it right the first time.

I'm a Weber man for life.... well until I can afford Kalamazoo LOL.

Last edited by jpalamar; 05-24-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #60
cmr076
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2319

My Ride:
S4

Send a message via AIM to cmr076
^ i want one of their pizza ovens... BAD!
cmr076 is offline   Reply With Quote