TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Welcome > TST Forum Info and Feedback
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-25-2006, 12:23 PM   #41
EIXVO
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #1395

My Ride:
2008 BMW 335i Twin Turbo

Yes, I agree. I didnt get owned? James WTF is wrong with you, are you kidding me........ your like one of those kids in the background sayin Burn....... after someone else makes a joke?
EIXVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:27 PM   #42
S4toSTI
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #348

My Ride:
Cars are so 2007

Send a message via AIM to S4toSTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayn4eleven
post count to me was a unique part of the site. It shouldn't have been an issue wether someone is a post whore or not...who really cares...i think its awesome if you're supporting the site with lots of posts. But instead of having to go into member profiles for every member that you want to see their post counts...it was right there for you, and you didn't think twice about it. Not to mention, when newbies came to the site, it was easy to pick out by the low post count. Therefore you respond to their posts more often, help them feel welcomed.
Post counts in my oppinion wernt anything negative, but brought a uniquness to the site and to each individual.
I think your point is well thought out but i think you didn't see that some people were really post ing alot just to have a high post count. I think in hopes of making the site better we need to filter out the crap and the "filler". I don't think that saying nice post or sweet.... adds anything to the forum. I think posts should be actual thoughts and not just an excuse for you to get another post. I think the user titles can tell you enough about how many posts someone has. I think in the long term this will make the site better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL
Bryan: hmm Word says streetable isnt a word but i say f*** Word
"Its not a Rice Rocket its a Matzah Missile" -RichK
S4toSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:30 PM   #43
EIXVO
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #1395

My Ride:
2008 BMW 335i Twin Turbo

I agree with you in some respects S4, but I still think they should be put back on..

I don't think that saying nice post or sweet.... ( that pisses me off too )
but why ruin what al9ot of people like for the select few who are ****in idiots.. Thats all im sayin..
EIXVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:36 PM   #44
S4toSTI
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #348

My Ride:
Cars are so 2007

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...430#post203430
http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...498#post201498
http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...833#post192833

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2006, 12:43 PM   #45
Blackv6Stang
Tri-State Addict

Member #847

Send a message via AIM to Blackv6Stang

i'm sorry but now you really have been owned!

either way, i agree that the post count doesn't need to be shown. If someone is really interested in how many posts you have, or if you are interested in how many posts another member has, its not very hard to click on their user profile, gather all that important information of how much they whored, and press the back button to return to the thread. It may be a good 30 seconds but i think that to anyone who thinks posts are that important, the 30 seconds wont matter.

I love my saab 900.

Used to have a 1997 mustang
Blackv6Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #46
bastid
Tri-State Addict

Member #1732

My Ride:
2008 BMW M3

Post count when used properly denotes experience and contributions to the community. Someone with a higher post count is typically thought to have better credibility than someone with a lower post count. Granted, this isn't always true, but it does help a lot to get "credibility or experience" at face value.

I'm neither for or against post counts, as it's not my decision to make. Therefore, I don't concern myself with it. However, there are alternatives to eliminating post whoring (especially in a smaller community vs. make/model based larger communities).
bastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:25 PM   #47
S4toSTI
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #348

My Ride:
Cars are so 2007

See your a Tri-State Aficionado and the person above you is a Tri-State Addict so since he is higher then you i should believe him more? I know what you are saying but at the same time thats what user titles are for... from seeing that i know he has more posts then you so why does the number itself really matter. The reason why getting rid of it helps is that people won't worry about the actualy number. For instance someone who is a tst post whore has between 1000-5000 and a tst ruined my life which i am the only one has over 5k. I think this makes it less of a competition and more of oh that person is a tst post whore they have posted alot and oh they joined in december of 04 so they have been arround for awhile. I think the join date adds more to the reputation then anything.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2006, 01:29 PM   #48
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastid
Post count when used properly denotes experience and contributions to the community. Someone with a higher post count is typically thought to have better credibility than someone with a lower post count. Granted, this isn't always true, but it does help a lot to get "credibility or experience" at face value.
First sentence, false. There is no proper use of post count to denote "experience and contributions to the community" Mainly because that is all subjective.

As per the rest of the paragraph; you are correct, however, it should not be this way. Quality of the advice given should be the determining factor. Say someone has 5k posts, should I take their advice on turboing a car, when they do not own a turbo car, nor have they ever turbo'd an N/A car? I'd happily take the advice from someone with 5 posts if they have the experience, and can back up what they are saying.

It is quite easy on this forum to pick out the fools from the knowledgable. It is easy to tell who has been here awhile, and who offers good advice. This being a local forum, with a small(ish) memberbase, makes it easy to abolish post counts and focus on the meat of the user's posts.

Post counts are for post whores.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:31 PM   #49
S4toSTI
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #348

My Ride:
Cars are so 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat
First sentence, false. There is no proper use of post count to denote "experience and contributions to the community" Mainly because that is all subjective.

As per the rest of the paragraph; you are correct, however, it should not be this way. Quality of the advice given should be the determining factor. Say someone has 5k posts, should I take their advice on turboing a car, when they do not own a turbo car, nor have they ever turbo'd an N/A car? I'd happily take the advice from someone with 5 posts if they have the experience, and can back up what they are saying.

It is quite easy on this forum to pick out the fools from the knowledgable. It is easy to tell who has been here awhile, and who offers good advice. This being a local forum, with a small(ish) memberbase, makes it easy to abolish post counts and focus on the meat of the user's posts.

Post counts are for post whores.
Great post and i think we should end the thread with that.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2006, 01:45 PM   #50
bastid
Tri-State Addict

Member #1732

My Ride:
2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat
Sorry! I didn't mean to make that sound like a blanket statement. Ideally, I'm sure this was the original intent of the post count system. But with the occurence of post whoring for "e-respect," I agree with the idea of a more qualitative basis of "rank" (not necessarily who is better, but who is more versed or provides more credible/knowledgeable information).

The difficulty of finding a qualitative way to title members comes with the diverse nature of the site. I'm sure there are many different "resident experts" by make, model, component (general), etc. I'm all for helping to create a more comprehensive system :P
bastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:48 PM   #51
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

Post counts just promote whoring, and I have noticed a lack of whoring since the post counts were removed in OT. I fully support the move to go with the hidden post count site-wide.

But I think the post count should be replaced by a visible member number.

my .02

<---- 190,000 mile WRX - Gone
MuddyREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:00 PM   #52
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
quite possibly the best thing to come out of taking away the post count being displayed is the fact that it started one of the most civil, interesting debates on the forum

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:16 PM   #53
BlackBulletTSi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #224

My Ride:
99 Eclipse GSX

Send a message via AIM to BlackBulletTSi
lol yes it has been a very clean debate. All suggestions forward them to Bryan for Reviewq

New DJ community being built,
COMING SOON!!
BlackBulletTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:35 PM   #54
05Accent
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1050

My Ride:
2008 Evo X GSR, 2002 Honda CRV

Send a message via AIM to 05Accent
Quote:
quite possibly the best thing to come out of taking away the post count being displayed is the fact that it started one of the most civil, interesting debates on the forum
i was just also thinking in my head when i was reading thru the posts.(hope it doesnt get closed) becasue i saw/seen alot of positive arguments..
With MIVEC Turbo
Daily-2002 Honda Crv Cruisin'
With Vtec
Quote:
Yea Junior you suck. Everyone boo this man!
Quote:
obviously you have an 05 accent and your picture is just your dream car.
05Accent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:45 PM   #55
wrx wagone
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #674

My Ride:
'05 WRX Wagon

Goddamnit!! Why do I still have to be from "Noob Jersey"??
wrx wagone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:48 PM   #56
S4toSTI
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #348

My Ride:
Cars are so 2007

Cause you have 9 posts.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2006, 11:54 PM   #57
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBulletTSi
lol yes it has been a very clean debate. All suggestions forward them to Bryan for Reviewq
who? i think you should probably handle the complaints

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:13 AM   #58
wrx wagone
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #674

My Ride:
'05 WRX Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4toSTI
Cause you have 9 posts.
Oh.

10 now...

Edit: No more "Noob Jersey" w00t!!!11111one111
wrx wagone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:18 AM   #59
Shades of Gray
Vendor

Member #294

My Ride:
04 STI/sold, 05 WRX wagon/totaled, 00 S4/sold, 05 STI/current

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx wagone
Oh.

10 now...

Edit: No more "Noob Jersey" w00t!!!11111one111
post whore!
145B Philmont Ave. Feasterville, PA 19053

Shades of Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:23 AM   #60
jspek
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #539

My Ride:
cafe and a broke s2k

Send a message via AIM to jspek
yay........

jspek is offline   Reply With Quote