TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Exterior, Interior, and Electrical
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-23-2006, 03:13 AM   #1
WKderF
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #30

My Ride:
Taste The Beast

Send a message via AIM to WKderF
How To: JDM to USDM base swap for WRX & STi seats

Once i got my seats, i immediatly went into the basement so i could swap the seat base & have height adjustment on the drivers seat. I searched nasioc & found several guides, but found theese instructions to be the most helpful & straight forward:

To make your JDM seats height adjustable, you will be working on your USDM driver seat (driver) and the JDM passenger seat (This would be the USDM driver seat when installed in a USDM car):

Before you start, using the height adjustment handle on the USDM seat, give it a few pumps & raise the seat level a few inches, this will make it easier to remove the seatback without getting the airbag cable stuck in the frame.

Remove the plastic side pieces on the sides of the seat and make sure both seats are returned to there most upright position. remove the 4 bolts that hold them to the base & remove the seatback entirely. put the seatback aside for later attachment to the new base.

Take the bottom portion of either seat and remove the entire bottom seat cushion along with the outer seat material (do this all as one piece; this includes the seat padding) from the metal portion of the seat frame.

To do this, locate the tabs that hold the seat padding and seat material to the metal frame on the underside of the seat. (some tabs will be tough so you need to squish the cushion of the seat to create slack for an easier removal). Once you have separated one seat bottom, do this for the other seat bottom.

Now take the USDM bottom seat pad with material and attach it to the JDM metal frame from which you removed the JDM bottom seat pad with material by using the tabs. Reattach all the plastic pieces and then reattach the new USDM seat bottom to the USDM back.

Now do the same for the JDM bottom cushion with the USDM metal frame. The only difference is that two cuts must be make in the JDM material after you have reattached the JDM bottom cushion to the USDM metal frame. On the left side of the seat beneath the JDM seat material, there should be no hole to accomodate the level control of the USDM seat. (you will see the hole for the height adjustor as being empty when the USDM cushion sits on the JDM frame). Since it is a round piece of metal in the shape of a circle, you can expose this metal piece through the JDM seat pad and material by cutting two lines in the shape of an X, essentially cutting the circle into four equal parts. THe lines should be made just to the perimeter of the circle, or the edges of the height adjustor. Once the lines are cut, fold back the JDM materail to expose the metal piece and tuck them under the seat material. Reattach the plastic pieces and then reattach the bottom portions of the seats to their respective top portions and voila, you are done.

If done correctly, the USDM driver seat will no longer have the raise/lower feature, while both JDM seats will have the raise/lower feature. The hole that existed in the USDM seat to accomodate this feature will be covered up by the plastic pieces, so you do not need to worry about filling it with something.

If your USDM seats had airbags, then you will get an airbag light on all the time in your car. A 3.3 ohm resistor will fool the computer and make the light turn off.

if anyone has questions, im just a PM away.

Last edited by WKderF; 02-23-2006 at 03:25 AM.
WKderF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:17 PM   #2
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Send a message via AIM to D Money
Did you swap yours out? Can I use a 02-03 base or does it have to be an 04-05 base?

Quote:
D has beat me up in public before. be careful this guy is reckless!
D Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
WKderF
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #30

My Ride:
Taste The Beast

Send a message via AIM to WKderF
yes, I have already swapped out my base and no, you can only use an 04 & up base. 02 & 03 have different bases.
WKderF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Send a message via AIM to D Money
So how hard, est time?? I will now just need to find an 04 base I can swap wit, I am sure its going to be hard to find too...

Quote:
D has beat me up in public before. be careful this guy is reckless!
D Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:10 PM
zellyhxc
This message has been deleted by TROLL.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:15 PM
ArrestMeRedFD
This message has been deleted by Big_Jim. Reason: user spammed to get to the 30 posts.