TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Drag Racing
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
Driven
Tri-State Addict

Member #336

Send a message via AIM to Driven
Results from our first comp race and new best (video)

I just got home from Maple Grove's Dutch Classic NHRA Divisional race and I couldn't be happier!

The race actually started on Thursday afternoon but my dad couldn't get off from work on Thursday so we missed first qualifying session. We rolled into the track on Friday morning and got an incredible parking spot, right at the end of the staging lanes and we had a huge area. They treat comp racers like royalty at these events. We were a bit nervous about the tech inspection because this was our first ever actual event with the car. The tech inspector inspected our car right in our pit and was very nice, he didn't have a single gripe. He was actually the same guy that did the chassis certs at TurboTrix the day before the Showdown.

We sit around a good part of the day waiting for our qualifying session. They finally called us up, we got ready for the run and went up to the lanes. We got my dad all suited up and strapped into the car, about 2 pairs of cars are in front of us and it starts to drizzle. At first everyone is hanging out thinking it will pass but it just gets worse and we have to turn around and take the car back to the trailer. The announce a few minutes later that they are calling it for the day, no more runs.

Saturday comes and we're still all set to make the pass, the rain begins to lift and we get up in the lanes. We want to make a good pass to qualify but didn't want to do anything beyond what we knew the car was capable of. We set it up fairly conservative and didn't get crazy with the boost and went out and made a clean pass. It was a 7.53 at 172 MPH. Awesome, we're very happy with that. A few minutes after we get the car back, once again the skies open up and it starts to rain. Shortly after they announce that they are calling it a day again and to come back early on Sunday so they can get moving.

We get the qualifying sheet and see that we are qualified 22nd out of 28 cars at .23 seconds over our index. Not great but no worse than where we expected to be. First round we have a car that went about .22 under his index on the Thursday qualifying session.

Sunday comes and we get everything set up for first round and we decide we're just going to go up and give it all we have. At this point we don't have much to lose, we're here to have fun and we don't expect to win. We just wanted to get a feel for what the events are like.

We decided on a staging procedure before the run that we felt would give us our best chance at winning and we went up to the line and my dad executed the procedure perfectly. We had the car on the 2 step before his first yellow was even lit so there was plenty of time to build boost. The other guy leaves and we see the red light... INCREDIBLE! We just won our first round ever of comp racing and the car hasn't even left the line yet! My dad lets the car go with a somewhat crappy light (distracted by our opponents redlight) and it leaves HARD. It rattled the tires a good bit in first and actually spun hard enough at the top of first to cause it to short shift. Then his time pops up, 7.30 at 179 MPH! We just matched our index on only the 20th pass ever on this car and ran a new best ET and MPH.

Second round we have to run the number 1 qualifier. We decided we're just going to go up and do the same thing, it worked last time, why not? No real changes to the tune or boost or anything, just try to repeat first round. Once again, my dad gets the car on the line and up on the 2 step before the first yellow even comes on, as the tree comes down we see that redlight appear in the other lane again, wtf? The number 1 qualifier (.65 seconds under his index) just redlit against the number 22 qualifier! No complaints here. This time my dad is a bit more prepared and tries to nail the tree. He nails a .027 reaction time (first time ever trying to cut a light in the car) and the car leaves awesome. Carries the front wheels nice and smooth, no tire shake this time. Score board lights up and we see 7.34 at 176 MPH. Not a bad way to back up that first round run. I quickly remembered that there were 28 cars there and that there was a bye run in the 3rd round, it's supposed to go to the number 1 qualifier, since we just took him out, we get a bye run into the semi's!

We decided not to beat on the car and just rolled it down the track for our win on the bye run. It ran like a 18 something at 65 MPH.

Now we're all set for the semi final round. We actually decided to turn the boost down a bit for this pass (long story) but otherwise, keep everything the same. My dad got up on the line but wasn't able to get up on the 2 step quick enough and ended up leaving the line before building any real boost. The car rolled its way to a 1.4 60', then boost hit and it went 7.94 at 175 MPH. Not too shabby for that 60' and less boost. Unfortunately, the other guy ran a good bit under his index and beat us.

Needless to say, we're ecstatic with how the car performed and our luck at our first ever real Comp race. We got a million compliments this weekend as well as plenty of people saying "that'll never work." Funny part is, none of those guys who told us it will never work made it past second round.

There are some people I have to give a HUGE thanks to for making this all possible:

First Jason Chandler and Russ McLaughlin - Without these two guys my dad and I would have been running around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to stay on top of the car. Thanks guys, you were a great help.

Also thanks to:
AEM
Extreme PSI
SparkTech Ignitions
Kiggly Racing
Hamm's Machine Shop
Fuel Injector Clinic

All of these companies have helped us to get us where we are with the car. Kiggly even loaned us his spare head to make this event, we wouldn't have even made it out if it wasn't for that. Thanks a bunch Kevin.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Here is my crappy video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vax47m-RwOc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
Congrats guys, hope everything keeps working out with the car. Can't wait to see it again next season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
congrats man, gl in the future!

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
Goddabob
Tri-State Addict

Member #5799

Good story, what kind of car were you running?
Goddabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Driven
Tri-State Addict

Member #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddabob View Post
Good story, what kind of car were you running?
Did you watch the video? ;)

It's a 4G63 powered 250" rear engine dragster.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Nice job guys!
Thanks for taking the time to share your weekend here...

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
Very impressive! Be sure to keep us posted in the future..
Old 10-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

Send a message via AIM to HickRocket1258
I was at the Dutch Classic sunday with my dad. We were there to watch some friends of ours run in Super Street and Super Gas. My dad was in aww with your car because of what you guys did. I was going to come up and say hi but didn't want to bother you guys (which one were you by the way of the 3 of you I noticed). Noticed you had problems running the index, but at least you went 4 rounds haha. 2 red lights and a bye. I'm looking to run Super Street in years to come.

Don't know if you guys thought of this but not sure if it matters either but my dad was wondering if you almost should go with a smaller slick for the dragster due to it being less rotation. I'm sure you guys thought of that but just throwing it out to you guys.

I just read all of it after I posted but if you can cut a light and run a little under the index in comp you are golden. None of the drivers know how to cut a light and are all about just getting the most out of their engines. It's a friendly crowd with all the people and yes, Comp and Top Sportsman are kind of catered to at the events. Congrats guys, I was pulling for you.

Just a mustang that's lowered.....that's about it.

Work harder....Millions on welfare depend on you!

Last edited by HickRocket1258; 10-27-2009 at 09:09 AM.
HickRocket1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

awesome weekend for you guys minus the rain! sounds like a blast. big congrats
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
pinacup7
Tri-State Addict

Member #1764

My Ride:
Baaaaahd GTO

Send a message via AIM to pinacup7
congrats. Those are some good times
pinacup7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
1_2befast
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #9949

My Ride:
1992 Talon AWD

Tony (Driven) is the skinny guy out of the three of us young guys that were there working on the car. A lot of people have been suggesting a smaller tire, but the goal is to get the car moving enough that it needs the tire that is on it. As Tony mentioned, there are only 20 passes on the car so far. There are still some things to do to make it faster and hopefully be able to kill the index at will.

Thanks for the hospitality Tony and Bob. Nothing like a last minute decision to stay over night. Good job putting the video together, I am glad the wheel standing golf cart made it in. I had a great time, can't wait to do it again.
1_2befast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

I hope you guys are able to kill the index as well. You guys trying to make all the divisional and national events?

Old 10-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
Driven
Tri-State Addict

Member #336

We're just having a blast with the car. It gets a ton of attention everywhere it goes and it's so much fun to go out and race. We would like to be competitive in comp but overall, it's just to have fun. We'll run what races we make but I don't think either of us (my dad or myself) want to kill ourselves to make every race. We learn more every single time we take it to the track and we've gone faster almost every single time out. We have a list of improvements scheduled for the car for the winter so we want to go out swinging early next year.

As Russ said, I was the skinny guy out of the three younger guys. I think I was wearing a red Extreme PSI hat all weekend. You should have came up and said hi.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post
We're just having a blast with the car. It gets a ton of attention everywhere it goes and it's so much fun to go out and race. We would like to be competitive in comp but overall, it's just to have fun. We'll run what races we make but I don't think either of us (my dad or myself) want to kill ourselves to make every race. We learn more every single time we take it to the track and we've gone faster almost every single time out. We have a list of improvements scheduled for the car for the winter so we want to go out swinging early next year.

As Russ said, I was the skinny guy out of the three younger guys. I think I was wearing a red Extreme PSI hat all weekend. You should have came up and said hi.
For some reason I figured that was you but I will definately come up and say hi next time. Were you on the old site when it was around, godragracing.com?

The drag racing community is very nice and friendly to be around. They are always willing to be able to help even when they don't know you. The entry fees for the events though are pretty steep in my opinion but that's what you get with racing.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #15
Driven
Tri-State Addict

Member #336

Yeah, I was on GDR when it was around. I never liked the site though because everyone was an ass on there, then nice in person. I'd generally just go on there to rub in how fast my import was, since most of those guys hated it.

My dad's been racing for over 40 years and I've been racing for 15 years now, so we've been around for a while. Both of us have been bored with bracket racing lately so we wanted to do something more fun for us. Entry fee's aren't really that big of a deal when you're traveling to the events. I drove to Atlanta two years ago for a race, it cost over 1000 dollars in fuel for the tow vehicle alone. 175 dollar entry fee isn't the end of the world.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #16
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

Yeah I hear ya. You are like my buddy who races Super Pro. You are out there as like it's a business. My dad has done it for over 30 years himself, then my brother and I have been racing since about 10 years ago. It's a great family experience for sure. Next time I'll stop by and say hi. It's awesome to see a local person racing in Comp that I kind of know haha. Good luck and keep me updated. I'm sure I'll see you at another divisonal sometime soon.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #17
Streetracer1227
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #12436

My Ride:
09 Civic Si, 81 Malibu, 03 Chevy 2500 HD

Send a message via AIM to Streetracer1227
nice job man...just keep creepin up on it and eventually you will get there, if its all about havin fun, then that looks like a blast

i would like to do comp in the future, maybe a super mod car

Streetracer1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #18
Driven
Tri-State Addict

Member #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetracer1227 View Post
nice job man...just keep creepin up on it and eventually you will get there, if its all about havin fun, then that looks like a blast

i would like to do comp in the future, maybe a super mod car
Thanks, we're very happy with where the car is and we know there's still more power to be made.

I'm not sure what a super mod car is, can you share some info?

Old 11-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #19
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post
Thanks, we're very happy with where the car is and we know there's still more power to be made.

I'm not sure what a super mod car is, can you share some info?
Super mod cars run in Super Stock. My dad told me exactly what it is and I forget exactly, but a lot of the newer Cobalts are Super Mod cars.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #20
Streetracer1227
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #12436

My Ride:
09 Civic Si, 81 Malibu, 03 Chevy 2500 HD

Send a message via AIM to Streetracer1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickRocket1258 View Post
Super mod cars run in Super Stock. My dad told me exactly what it is and I forget exactly, but a lot of the newer Cobalts are Super Mod cars.
the cars that run in the modified class in super stock and in super modified in comp are very similar, actually the same car can be used for both. from what i understand, cars such as cobalts, cavys, grand ams etc with stock floorpans, stock framerails in place, firewall in stock location, but converted to rwd and usually backhalved. usually run some wicked crazy small cube, high rpm v8s or a v6, and theres a class for supercharged motors

Streetracer1227 is offline   Reply With Quote