TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
nismo300zxjdm
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #23006

My Ride:
'90 Nissan 300zx NA, '90 300zx Twin Turbo, '08 Sentra Spec V

My... not so Fairlady Z VH Swap

Well for the last couple of months I have been collecting parts for my VH45DE swap in my 1990 300ZX. I have a extensive list of parts I have collected, designed, and fabricated so far. I just got the engine pulled Sunday, and I am proceeding full steam ahead!

I am starting out with an almost stock Z32 that I have been driving for the past 3 years. I have some bolt-on's, but a VG30 with 180k miles can only take so much abuse. I thought about going the stock twin turbo route, then I started researching different swaps... As soon as I saw the Q45 swap, I knew that was the direction I was heading in.

A few months ago I pulled the VH from a local junkyard for $160, and immediately tore it down to be rebuilt. Fresh rings, bearings, timing components and gaskets, to factory spec.

I will be mating my standard Z32 gear box to the VH using an adapter plate that I fabricated.

Most people that do this swap just cut a hole in the hood of their car for upper intake plenum clearance. I want a clean looking car, that isn't all cut up. So I designed some intake flanges and had them water jetted, this way I can fabricate an intake manifold that will fit under the hood. I am also switching from side feed injectors, to top feed injectors. (If any one needs some Q45 90mm Throttle Body flanges, let me know! I got plenty )

So that basically brings us up to date. I don't want to involve about 1 years worth of research I've done in the thread because you'll probably fall asleep! Check out my photobucket for moar pics!

http://s1209.photobucket.com/profile/nismo300zxjdm

More to come!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

My Build Thread!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
nismo300zxjdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
95naSTA
Tri-State Addict

Member #6568

My Ride:
95 Bonnie, 98 i30, 07 Ducati Monster S2R 800

Fuking love 300ZX VH swaps. Nice job so far and I'll be sweeter without the cut hood.
95naSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
accentedeclipse
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10659

My Ride:
01 Hyundai accent and c6

Awesome build
accentedeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
BLSOHRD
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #22601

My Ride:
2003 Nissan 350Z

Good stuff man. Subscribed for updates.
BLSOHRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
DelayedZ
Tri-State Addict

Member #2999

My Ride:
2016 Scion FR-S (Halo White)

Holy crap, I'm excited about this swap!, Awesome!

; 2003 SS 350Z Track (Sold)
DelayedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
90blacktsiawd
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5662

Ive never heard of this swap before. Just out of curiosity why did you decide to go this route when the vg30dett is a bad ass motor on its own with plenty of aftermarket support and no doubt an easier/more cost effective route? Im not knocking you as this sounds like itll be a bad ass when finished.

We need more pics, parts lists, and stock/goal hp/tq numbers here!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
90blacktsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #7
Shri2222
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2926

My Ride:
78 Datsun 280z 11 Chevy Cruze

Send a message via AIM to Shri2222 Send a message via MSN to Shri2222
Sick..
Shri2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
nismo300zxjdm
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #23006

My Ride:

Thank you everyone! I am so excited for this! So to answer your questions 90blacktsiawd... The VG30DETT is a bad motor, you can buy any and every part you can think of for it. I just finished up rebuilding a VG30DETT, and I would rather not do it again. Couple of reasons why:

#1: I hate timing belts! With a passion! The VH45 has timing chains, so now I don't have to replace the entire front end of my engine every 60K
#2: Simplicity, the VG is a very complex engine with lots of intake piping, very prone to boost leaks even after tightening everything 3 times... and I am still chasing a very small one.
#3: The VH is different, and who doesn't like to be different
#4: Its a V8

The only set back to this engine is that there is limited aftermarket support, but there are some items that are slowly popping out. I believe one company will be producing camshafts. You can get ARP hardware. My flanges hehe and I have a couple sets of upgraded valve springs! It uses the VG30 Flywheel, and CA18 Coilpacks. There are more parts that can be swapped over from other vehicles too. I am using a VG30 Underdrive pulley on the crank, my buddy works at a machine shop and is going to bore the center out and make me a spacer to line up the water pump grooves.

Ok before I forget! This is a total transformation of the car. Mainly engine, exterior, and some interior.

Power numbers and goals....

Stock: VH45DE generates 278 hp at 6000 rpm and 292 lb·ft at 4000 rpm, like most Asian cars of this era the power was under-rated due to the gentleman's agreement. Stock redline is 6900.

Goals: Produce a reliable, clean, classy 500whp single turbo V8 Z32 (Hopefully with AC)

Parts list so far that I have or may have not purchased yet:

Engine:
Rebuilt VH45
Single Turbonetics T72 Ball Bearing Turbocharger
Tial (or equal) 44mm wastegate
BOV
Custom Intake Manifold
Top Feed Conversion w/ Ford Injectors
Custom 4" Down Pipe, to split into dual 3" exhaust
Custom Radiator
Intercooler
Wiring harness stripped down to bare minimum

Steering, Suspension, and Brakes:

Powertrix SS Coilovers
Energy Suspension Kit
Z1 FUCA's
Tension Rods
14" 370Z Rotors Up Front w/ Custom Caliper Brackets
Brembo SRT8 Front Calipers
Z1 SS Brake lines
Astra Electric Power Steering Pump

Exterior:
Wingswest Front Bumper
TBO Sideskirts
Twinz Type 2 Rear Bumper
Winfactory CSL-R Spoiler
Custom Aluminum Front Belly Pan/Lip
Repaint Super White

Wheels: Varrstoen ES 2.2.1. Matte Black

F-18X9.5 +22 Offset
R-18x10.5 +22 Offset

So much more to come...

So today/tonight was very productive. After work I picked up the turbo :D Came home, ate some food, and got right to work. I stripped everything out of the engine, and started removing some of the brackets. I don't know if I have the win of the day for having the largest balls or being the most stupid....but this is my front body harness...

Here is the placement of the electric power steering pump-

Then some pictures of the engine bay-

LOOK at this mess!

Any my most favoritest picture of the day!!!

I am adding a link to my Photobucket on my sig.

My Build Thread!

Old 06-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
MattBear
Tri-State Addict

Member #16897

My Ride:
1995 Jetta VR6

awesome!

1995 Jetta VR6 - needs to be sold
MattBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
jesse096
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17203

My Ride:
2002 Chevy Silverado, 2003 BMW 330i ZHP 6 speed

In for this, looks awesome so far!

-Jesse
a ****ing space ship. next level transportation maneuver. **** 4 wheels son, im airborne.
Quote:
So, chinese food sprinkled with crack.... does that make you hungrier quicker bc you'll be tweaking from crack sprinkles? lol.
jesse096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
itwillboost
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17521

My Ride:
GDE6, L30T

First so true about timing chains > timing belts. That's one thing I love on the ka, and secondly badass man. My friend has been bugging me to do the swap for the last year lol. It looks like it's coming along greatly. I want more pictures of the intake manifold as well.

5th annual Northeast Nissan Summer Meet
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
Twisted tuning
Former Vendor

Member #21378

What are you going to do for engine management? Look into nistune and moates.net if you want to keep the stock ecu and harness. Moates just came out with a nissan chip and software solution for the 90s ecus. My buddy owns ztek-mfg and has a 4axis cnc machine and a cnc lathe and can machine anything if you run into anything that your friend cant fab. He makes a ton of custom z parts and dress up items.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tmowjs
Twisted tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #13
nismo300zxjdm
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #23006

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted tuning View Post
What are you going to do for engine management? Look into nistune and moates.net if you want to keep the stock ecu and harness. Moates just came out with a nissan chip and software solution for the 90s ecus. My buddy owns ztek-mfg and has a 4axis cnc machine and a cnc lathe and can machine anything if you run into anything that your friend cant fab. He makes a ton of custom z parts and dress up items.
I was thinking of going with the Moates Ostrich 2.0 Emulator. Awesome, I will definitely keep this in mind.

Thanks guys! Yeah... All I gotta say about timing belts is....

I'll be going up to the scrap yard soon to get some t6061 for the intake. Lol I even made myself a shopping list! I have to get a spool gun for my mig yet, along with some gas. First I need to get the engine bolted into place and see what kind of clearance I have up top.

I pressure washed and cleaned up the front end tonight, and organized the shop. She cleaned up pretty good, now It's time to get her back on jack stands, finish the transmission adapter plate, and drop the VH in for the first test fit!

My Build Thread!

Old 06-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
Twisted tuning
Former Vendor

Member #21378

If you want flanges made for the intake let me know. I use moates for all my ford stuff. I have the dataq setup on the dyno so you can log afr into the datalogs. Makes calibrating the maf curve a lot easier. I can hook you up with dyno time if you want to tune yourself or have me do it.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?30obpj
Twisted tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
90blacktsiawd
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5662

Please please please just do a simple 99 spec exterior!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
nismo300zxjdm
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #23006

My Ride:

Thanks for the offer Twisted! I have all the flanges that I need made, but I just ran out of the S2 flanges (oval port) So I need another 10 sets made. I'll shoot you over a PM then.

90blacktsiawd: I am not really a fan of the 99 spec bumper, it looks like it's smiling. Plus legit ones have a licence plate mount in the front that I would want to shave, and repro's are made out of cheap urethane. I was going to go with the Greddy front bumper, but there are 2 super white Z's and one orange one running around here with that bumper. I like the look of the Wings west front, it's clean and aggressive at the same time. (and I picked mine up for $250 compared to $800.00)

My Build Thread!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
90blacktsiawd
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5662

Im not a big fan of the wings west one but everybodys got their own taste. There was one i saw posted several times in the rice spotted thread but that things so long it'd take me forever to find again. I just recall it being very simple/smooth and they were waiting for a v2 to be released although that was maybe midway through the thread.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
OBEEWON
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1315

My Ride:
Lansdale Local

Send a message via MSN to OBEEWON
This is cool. A guy on Zilvia fitted a Porsche Cayienne intake manifold to his turbo'd VH45. looks very good.

OBEEWON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
nismo300zxjdm
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #23006

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90blacktsiawd View Post
Im not a big fan of the wings west one but everybodys got their own taste. There was one i saw posted several times in the rice spotted thread but that things so long it'd take me forever to find again. I just recall it being very simple/smooth and they were waiting for a v2 to be released although that was maybe midway through the thread.

Haha well I can't wait until someone post's a picture of my car in the rice spotted thread

OBEE: Yes, he is on V8nissans.com as well. Its supercharged not turbo'd, he did an awesome job on that intake, but it still sits to high for my hood. That car is mean!

My Build Thread!

Old 07-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #20
nismo300zxjdm
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #23006

My Ride:

Well I found an S2 engine Saturday. Unfortunately it was too late in the day for them to pull it so I had to go back yesterday afternoon and pick it up. Got it home, washed it, and started taking it apart. Everything looked in nice shape! Got it down to the block, and ready for a final cleaning then fabrication time! Waiting on some thread inserts from McMaster-Carr so I can fit the transmission adapter plate to the fab block.

My Build Thread!