TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #41
sean3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5757

My Ride:
04 Mach 1

So here's 9000 miles worth of tire wear with -1.5* camber...

Still haven't installed anything so I decided when I have everything apart to do the bushings I'm going to throw in some poly spring isolators up front to raise the car an inch. Should help with the body roll a good bit.

Next alignment will be -2* camber or more. Trying to get a handle on how bad tire wear is with -2.5* or so on the street but I can't find much info.

Seat is off the to-do list since I finally realized that there's no safe way to run a fixed back seat on the street without a rollbar and 5/6pt harnesses. No thanks. Not going to spend MORE money for a reclining seat that offers poor bolstering either. Going to look into a 4pt harness for autocross use.

After some reading on the NT05s, they blow chunks for autocross use and heatcycle out long before the tread wears off, so they're out. Only other super duper autox summer street tire option is the Kumho XS. Everyone I know who has run them burned through them even faster than my Bridgestones, and the longitudinal grip is supposedly poor. SO I've decided to go with some garbage Sumitomo HTR Z iii tires. $468 for a set if CJponyparts puts them on sale again. Same compound/similar design as some Dunlop Sport crap. Should last 2x as long and have favorable reviews from the Pcar and BMW crowds. I'll step up to a dedicated set of 17x10.5 cobra replicas with 315s for autocross use in the distant future.

Last edited by sean3; 07-21-2010 at 04:13 PM.
sean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #42
tomustang
Tri-State Addict

Member #1302

In post 23 you said you got
Poly bushings, but for what part?
tomustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #43
sean3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5757

My Ride:
04 Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomustang View Post
In post 23 you said you got
Poly bushings, but for what part?
Front control arms. Everything in the rear is staying factory rubber.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #44
tomustang
Tri-State Addict

Member #1302

What other plans you got going on, I've seen the flsfc's?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #45
sean3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5757

My Ride:
04 Mach 1

FLSFCs
Poly control arm bushings
Aluminum steering rack bushings
Undecided rear suspension
Undecided rear differential
Aluminum flywheel when the clutch lets go
Clutch quadrant/firewall adjuster
Intake spacer
00R brembos

Basically everything ESP legal other than seats/rear seat delete/AC delete. Everything after the differential is a "one day..." kinda thing. Still debating differentials and rear suspension options. I know 5link is my best bet but it's a LOT of cash up front.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #46
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

this thread brings me back to the days when i was a mustang owner looking to autocross.

back then, the motto was Go MM or go home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #47
Ciotti
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8225

My Ride:
96' Cobra Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
this thread brings me back to the days when i was a mustang owner looking to autocross.

back then, the motto was Go MM or go home.
It still sorta is but there are some other parts out there that are just as good if not better.

That being said, I run Maximum Motorsports, cc plates, full length subs, steering rack bushings, and will be ordering their adjustable lower control arms and panhard bar shortly

8 reps for your driver mod muscles

When something has foibles and won't handle perfectly, that gives it a particularly human quality as it makes mistakes. That's how we can build a relationship with a car that other people just won't get - Jeremy Clarkson
Ciotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #48
tomustang
Tri-State Addict

Member #1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciotti View Post
It still sorta is but there are some other parts out there that are just as good if not better.

That being said, I run Maximum Motorsports, cc plates, full length subs, steering rack bushings, and will be ordering their adjustable lower control arms and panhard bar shortly
What???

Oh man, you coulda got mine for cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

You dont know what youre missing with solid rack bushings, also goes great with the solid shaft
Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 AM   #49
Ciotti
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8225

My Ride:
96' Cobra Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomustang View Post
What???

Oh man, you coulda got mine for cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

You dont know what youre missing with solid rack bushings, also goes great with the solid shaft
I wish I had gotten the solid steering shaft when I got the steering rack bushings, the stock rag joint has seen better days

When something has foibles and won't handle perfectly, that gives it a particularly human quality as it makes mistakes. That's how we can build a relationship with a car that other people just won't get - Jeremy Clarkson
Old 07-22-2010, 02:34 AM   #50
sean3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5757

My Ride:
04 Mach 1

Quote:
I wish I had gotten the solid steering shaft when I got the steering rack bushings, the stock rag joint has seen better days
It's *only* $260!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #51
thefro526
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7892

My Ride:
1996 240sx & 1989 240sx Coupe

Send a message via AIM to thefro526
Sean gets mad props for driving this this.

My slammed piece of crap 240 handles better than his Bro-Stang.

True Story.

<3 Yah Sean.

Quote:
Also do some things with it, with fro boy's whip.
Quote:
At this rate, though, it'll be 2015 before either of you gets yo whips running right.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #52
Plastik Racer
Tri-State Addict

Member #1981

My Ride:
99 Subaru Impreza, 03 Subie legacy DD

God sean you'd think you were doing burnout all day. I like how you have the right PSI in your tires so your not rolling on your side wall on hard cornering.

Plastik Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #53
tomustang
Tri-State Addict

Member #1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean3 View Post
It's *only* $260!
Back when I got it for $250, I pulled it out of the box and read the original manufacturer on it, I researched the name and found a company selling it for around $220

I don't remember the company name now though
Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #54
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:

Very cool!

It's pretty incredible what has been able to be done with that platform. It's such a bad starting point comparatively since its from the 1979 Fairmont.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #55
Ciotti
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8225

My Ride:
96' Cobra Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Very cool!

It's pretty incredible what has been able to be done with that platform. It's such a bad starting point comparatively since its from the 1979 Fairmont.
We proved that you can polish a turd LONG before Myth Busters did

All things considered though with car aftermarkets so strong now a days the platform almost makes no difference any more because there will probably be parts out there to correct any short comings of most half decent cars. You can pretty much pick whatever car you like the look of best with the motor you want and build it to do anything from there and Stangs are the perfect example of that.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #56
sean3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5757

My Ride:
04 Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastik Racer View Post
God sean you'd think you were doing burnout all day. I like how you have the right PSI in your tires so your not rolling on your side wall on hard cornering.
Yeah man, FWD mustang doin burnouts all day! My front tires hit the wear bars before the rears Front tire pressure was always 37-38 PSI cold.

Platform makes a big difference. A Mustang is never going to be as fast as a properly and recently (not 1979) engineered chassis.

Buy mustang
Buy Kmember, tubular a-arms, custom valved dampers, coilovers, panhard bar, torque arm, LCAs, SFCs, through the floor SFCs, roll bar/cage, steering shaft, bigger brakes, all kinds of crazy aero, everything else griggs/MM make, drive around with said roll cage/gutted interior/spherical bearing everywhere/brutal spring rates

OR

Buy C5Z06
Buy race tires, go just as fast
Old 07-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #57
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

^ Exactly.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #58
Ciotti
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8225

My Ride:
96' Cobra Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean3 View Post
Yeah man, FWD mustang doin burnouts all day! My front tires hit the wear bars before the rears Front tire pressure was always 37-38 PSI cold.

Platform makes a big difference. A Mustang is never going to be as fast as a properly and recently (not 1979) engineered chassis.

Buy mustang
Buy Kmember, tubular a-arms, custom valved dampers, coilovers, panhard bar, torque arm, LCAs, SFCs, through the floor SFCs, roll bar/cage, steering shaft, bigger brakes, all kinds of crazy aero, everything else griggs/MM make, drive around with said roll cage/gutted interior/spherical bearing everywhere/brutal spring rates

OR

Buy C5Z06
Buy race tires, go just as fast
You ruined those tires because you're too lazy to rotate them front to back after every few events, you can't blame that on anything but yourself man I run the same amount of camber and push my XS's even harder but they wore perfectly even.

And sure you can get a Vette if you're into being like all the golf playing know nothing douches and spoiled rich house wives that drive those cars but that's not for me. Plus I could never deal with not having a back seat and the worst exhaust note ever from a v8 plus you'd spend pretty much the same amount of money on a Vette and light mods as you would on a fully built Stang. How fast do you want to spend, you know that.

Oh yeah and the Vette's suspension is no picnic either, I've heard plenty of complaints about how ****ty they ride so don't think they're much better than a stang would be. Bottom line is that no matter what the car, if you want to go fast there will be compromises no matter what.

Last edited by Ciotti; 07-22-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #59
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

Send a message via AIM to HickRocket1258
Was going to say, why not go with lower control arms soon? Probably your next best buy.

Just a mustang that's lowered.....that's about it.

Work harder....Millions on welfare depend on you!
HickRocket1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #60
sean3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5757

My Ride:
04 Mach 1

I'd be buying LCAs if they were legal for my class, but they aren't One of the reasons I'm considering an IRS swap. If I find someone with a Terminator willing to swap rears I could get a new differential and all the IRS bushings for less than the 5 link.

I've never been in a Z06 but I can't imagine it being that bad a ride stock. My car is softly sprung and hands down the most uncomfortable car I've ever been in. All the "slammed" cars I make fun of ride smoother than mine.