TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Subaru Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Send a message via AIM to ndubz
Need advice on intake manifolds

I have been talking to a few people about this. I cant decide weather to get an aftermarket intake manifold. I have heard that the stock Sti manifolds are really good and that i shouldnt get one. Also, some ppl say that it would hurt my drivability and reliability, And Id like to know how it would do that. Because although, i may not "need" one, it still seems to be an effective modification for my car. So if i shouldnt do it, id like to know some specific reasons. Also, Ive seen manifolds by cosworth and Magnus, what other ones are out there. I need ones that will work with a tmic, and I understand that the cosworth won't, so what are some other options?
ndubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
Kjott21
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10209

My Ride:
2006 WRX STi

You could look into the JDM Spec C manifold that replaces the TGV's as well. Other than the Magnus I don't know of another aftermarket IM that will let you keep the TMIC.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
frosti108
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5883

My Ride:
Track- RB S13. Street- 2J SC300 + SR S14

Send a message via AIM to frosti108
it depends on what you have done already. theres definatly some better things to throw money at
frosti108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:11 AM   #4
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosti108 View Post
it depends on what you have done already. theirs definitely some better things to throw money at
That's what I'm thinking. I don't see to many people do this to their Subaru's so what makes your car different? Whats your reasoning for getting one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:15 AM   #5
RyanG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #63

Send a message via AIM to RyanG
stick with the stock one. Unless you are trying to tickle 600whp you will never need one. Or unless you just want the bling

RyanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:10 AM   #6
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

I am lookin to max out not too much over 400awhp. I want to know why and how it would hurt my reliability and drivability. I have done the exhaust fully, and i figured it'd be good to do the intake fully aswell. The intake Manifold seems to be an effective mod at my power level, one of the magnus test cars had similar power to mine (+/-300awhp) and saw an increase of 38awhp. not bad. i want to know the issues here other than price. (i know its alot) My original plan here was to do a perrin tmic, perrin crank pully, fuel pump, injectors, and a magnus manifold. This coming summer. Then, the following summer, id do a 20g with supporting mods and probly be done with the engine mods. I am deff open to advice though, and would greatly appreciate it. But just know that i have already bought the perrin tmic and the crank pully. I thought hard about a front mount, but didnt think itd be worth the extra money for my goals and the fact that this is a street car. With the 20g, im not gonna go too crazy, im just gonna run like 21psi or so, cuz im gonna be on 93 octane still. But this thread is about the intake manifold, however advice on other stuff is welcome.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:31 AM   #7
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
PLEASE post car specific questions in car specific forums.

The Magnus manifold fits like garbage and from what I've seen doesn't even show consistent increases in power. Unless you've got an extraordinary amount of money or knowledge that the rest of us dont, it would be a huge waste of money to do an aftermarket manifold.
The one thing you could do is a TGV delete... thats not a bad way to spend some dough, but the install is somewhat involved just so you know.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:33 AM   #8
TurboTagTeam
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #275

My Ride:
constantly changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA1320 View Post
stick with the stock one. Unless you are trying to tickle 600whp you will never need one. Or unless you just want the bling
I'd listen to this guy. Since he does build subarus for a living. And from what I hear, he's damn good.

I'v built a few scoobs. So I know my fair share but I'm defiantly no guru. What I do know.....there's 500-550whp subaru's out there going 10's on stock intake manifolds.

Given this fact....you defiantly don't need one.
TurboTagTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
Kjott21
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10209

My Ride:
2006 WRX STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubz View Post
I am lookin to max out not too much over 400awhp. I want to know why and how it would hurt my reliability and drivability.
I don't think that it will hurt your reliability at all as long as it doesn't leak or crack. I haven't researched it much but I keep hearing that the Magnus intake is prone to cracking.

I have a friend with a Magnus IM and he said his midrange power was noticably better. I think that the only problem with drivability would be a little lag and probably a little low end torque.

Seems like your mind is made up to do it. I say go for it. Make sure you get the one with the long runners that will get rid of the TGV's at the same time.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
iloveturbolag
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8772

My Ride:
S14

Send a message via AIM to iloveturbolag
you should be able to get well over 400 without ever thinking about your intake mani. if you dont even have a fmic i would be worried about keeping your iat down more than high end air flow. theres no need to waste money on a cool intake mani unless your just going for a few peak hp and not concerned with having a fast car, if this is the case just sell your subie and buy a supra, there all about the number.
iloveturbolag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
CarbonIS
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #301

Send a message via AIM to CarbonIS
you don't need an aftermarket intake manifold it's a complete waste of money. Do TGV deletes if anything.

Listen to anything AREA1320 says he's a subaru genious.

Quote:
I hear ya, but as the saying goes,"You can live in your car, but you can't [dyno] your house."
Quote:
Women suck balls on occasion, right?
I never had a woman suck on my back...so...
CarbonIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #12
Honest_Bob
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1179

My Ride:
05 WRX Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Honest_Bob
TGV delete and be done.

Honest_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #13
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Listen to Area1320, at this point he could tell me painting my turbo pink would add 40hp and I wouldn't question it. For all the other things to spend cash on the im isn't needed. If you need help spending that money just give Ryan a call at 1320 and I am sure he will come up with something far more worthwhile.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #14
RyanG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #63

WOW. thanks guys!

Quote:
I am lookin to max out not too much over 400awhp. I want to know why and how it would hurt my reliability and drivability.
400whp on a daily driver is just asking for issues unless you do something on the bottom end. The factory STi pistons suck for anything over 350.
Quote:
I have done the exhaust fully, and i figured it'd be good to do the intake fully aswell. The intake Manifold seems to be an effective mod at my power level, one of the magnus test cars had similar power to mine (+/-300awhp) and saw an increase of 38awhp. not bad. i want to know the issues here other than price. (i know its alot)
Everyone and their brother has an exhaust. You made the first step. Now since you didn't list your mods, I suggest getting tuned as being your next. Subarus intake routing is where you should look, such as an inlet. The factory one is a little restrictive. Touching hte intake manifold is a waste of time unless you are trying to play with the big dogs. Doing a TGV delete isn't really needed untill you start to tickle 350whp.
Quote:
My original plan here was to do a perrin tmic, perrin crank pully, fuel pump, injectors, and a magnus manifold. This coming summer. Then, the following summer, id do a 20g with supporting mods and probly be done with the engine mods. I am deff open to advice though, and would greatly appreciate it. But just know that i have already bought the perrin tmic and the crank pully. I thought hard about a front mount, but didnt think itd be worth the extra money for my goals and the fact that this is a street car. With the 20g, im not gonna go too crazy, im just gonna run like 21psi or so, cuz im gonna be on 93 octane still. But this thread is about the intake manifold, however advice on other stuff is welcome.
PERFECT! now you are starting to make sense.... just get that stupid manifold idea out of your head! haha.. A 20g is a GREAT turbo for a DD STi. Really wanna wake it up? Get an equal length manifold on their ;)
@ 21psi on a 20g you will be at around 350-360whp depending on the dyno... PLENTY of power to get in trouble with and enjoy

Old 12-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #15
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Ya, last night i did a little more research on the magnus im, and there were alot of negative reviews. Things like fitment and cracking. Also, I heard that as a company, they refuse to stand behind their products and replace faulty manifolds, and that they are quite rude to people who complain. I will not buy from a company like that. That plus the fact that all of u and many other subie ppl ive talked to have advised against it, Ive decided not to do it. Ive thought about this summer, and Im thinking this. My perrin tmic and crank pully, warlbro 255lph fuel pump, injectors (Undecided), Blouch 20g turbo, perrin SS BOV, and perrin intake hoses (the whole intake system would be aftermarket up to the manifold), and of course a tune. What do you all think of this? and do you have to do to install injectors and the crank pully, will they have to pull the motor out? Im tryin to get a price idea for the work involved.

Last edited by ndubz; 12-24-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #16
RyanG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #63

if you go to a 20g you will need injectors.. there is no way around it. The motor stays in the car for everything ;)

Old 12-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #17
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA1320 View Post
WOW. thanks guys!

400whp on a daily driver is just asking for issues unless you do something on the bottom end. The factory STi pistons suck for anything over 350.

Everyone and their brother has an exhaust. You made the first step. Now since you didn't list your mods, I suggest getting tuned as being your next. Subarus intake routing is where you should look, such as an inlet. The factory one is a little restrictive. Touching hte intake manifold is a waste of time unless you are trying to play with the big dogs. Doing a TGV delete isn't really needed untill you start to tickle 350whp.

PERFECT! now you are starting to make sense.... just get that stupid manifold idea out of your head! haha.. A 20g is a GREAT turbo for a DD STi. Really wanna wake it up? Get an equal length manifold on their ;)
@ 21psi on a 20g you will be at around 350-360whp depending on the dyno... PLENTY of power to get in trouble with and enjoy
ya my bad on not listing my mods, I currently have a perrin short ram intake, perrin equal length headers, perrin uppipe, turbo XS turboback exhaust, turbo XS boost controller (ive never touched it, the guy who had it before me put it on), and a cobb accessport V2, i got a custom tune at precision tuning (using the AP). It ran 305 awhp and like 330 awt.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:09 AM   #18
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Also, what size injectors should I run? and what are some recommended types? and top feed or side feed? idk much about injectors
Old 12-25-2008, 03:23 AM   #19
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

hey dude. listen to Ryan for your mod path, he'll guide you in the right direction. For a 20g, you can get away with some 740cc injectors just fine.

Here's the usual STi 20g buildup from the forums:
APS 70mm CAI (ditch the perrin short ram. short rams are awful).
your choice of turbo inlet
TD06 20g 8cm
740cc injectors (04-06 use side feeds. 07+ use top feed. you can't mix these up. you need side feed).
prodrive 3 port ebcs
TMIC or FMIC upgrade
turboback exhaust
CLUTCH.

now, let's maximize the car on pump.
add TGV deletes
header
EWG up-pipe

there are a lot of little bull**** mods that people do to these cars because vendors are great at vending like phenolic spacers, ported this or that, but power levels are almost always around the same general area despite it.

some people claim you should run 1 step colder plugs...others make plenty of power without that step.

some people go ape **** over what brand their oil filter is. some change their oil every 2k.

just stick to whats proven to work and the path. others have spent all the hard earned money to make it easy for guys like you. it's not hard, but its not unique. like jay z says, stick to the script.

:P

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 12-25-2008 at 03:26 AM.
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:23 AM   #20
iloveturbolag
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8772

My Ride:
S14

Send a message via AIM to iloveturbolag
go big the first time and be done with it. i did precision 1000cc injectors on my dsm (with the 20G :-) )and never had a single problem with them. i got a buddy witha 20G and he's already maxed out his 700's. imho you need to do fuel more than anything. once that is done crank the boost and get it dyno tuned.
iloveturbolag is offline   Reply With Quote