TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #1881
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

Hey, we have the same floor jack!

Nice fix on those threads by the way! I like how you really put some thought into it and used the bigger bolts.
Honduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #1882
thefro526
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7892

My Ride:
1996 240sx & 1989 240sx Coupe

Send a message via AIM to thefro526
Heli-coils are extremely interesting in an engineering sense.

The standard rule for hardware among mech-E's is that your engagement depth should be the same or more than your diameter (example, M10 bolt, should engage 10mm of thread). This is cool, until you start messing with threaded aluminum holes with a steel bolt, at which point you should have 1.5 - 2.0 times the depth for any given diameter (Steel is substantially stronger than Aluminum, especially in terms of threading). Heli-coils are a really cool way to cheat this number, usually you can get away with a heli-coil that is the same as the diameter of your bolt - if it's the coil is going into aluminum. Love those things.

Looks cool Troll.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
Also do some things with it, with fro boy's whip.
Quote:
At this rate, though, it'll be 2015 before either of you gets yo whips running right.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #1883
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Thanks for the info Dustin... I did do some reading about thread engagement being 1x diameter in steel and 1.5x in aluminum (and that coarse threads are generally better in aluminum as well). Fine threads are preferred in a high vibration environment because they are less likely to vibrate loose since the thread pitch is less steep. I didn't know any of this before this situation so it was educational.

I got the car all buttoned up and back on the road last night. Just had to get the interior shifter stuff together, but front bumper, headlights, and driveshaft connected, then get the car off the jackstands (which is a process).

First drive with the new clutch: 1) it engages at the tip top of my pedal travel which I don't like, and 2) I suck at driving this thing!
I feel like I'm learning to drive stick all over again. Pulling into my driveway slowly last night to not scrape my lip, I struggled to engage first on a slight uphill, stalled, and then struggled again to get it going. At 2:30am with my loud exhaust, it stressed me out. I'm sure it will get better but I've got to admit that right now I suck, haha!

I lowered the engagement point on the pedal this morning a bit so its not at the bitter edge which I think will help, and other than that I just need some practice to get the feel down.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #1884
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

You will def learn the clutch. I was pretty awful the first time I drove a 6 puck clutch in a honda.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #1885
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Yeah, I drove it a bit this afternoon and lowering the engagement point on the pedal a bit made a nice improvement. Engagement still takes me longer and is rougher than I'm used to but I'll give it some time. Trista was busting my balls about my driving, then I let her give it a shot and now she understands, haha.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #1886
trista
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15075

My Ride:
'89 EF

Send a message via AIM to trista
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
Yeah, I drove it a bit this afternoon and lowering the engagement point on the pedal a bit made a nice improvement. Engagement still takes me longer and is rougher than I'm used to but I'll give it some time. Trista was busting my balls about my driving, then I let her give it a shot and now she understands, haha.

Ha.. ha.... ha...

Well, I'm not the one who stalled..

I think my transactions were a bit smoother than yours

Quote:
Amen. E-harmony has a monthly fee....can you believe that? If only those suckers knew about TST!
trista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:32 AM   #1887
Vr-4-Life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1961

My Ride:
BMW E60 M5 V10 6 Speed --- Ducati Monster 696

Hahahaha
Vr-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #1888
InvisibleMonkey
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4854

My Ride:
JDM TyTe 1988 Single Turbo 1JZ 5-Speed Supra & 1998 Twin Turbo 6-Speed Supra BPU like a muhf***a!

Send a message via AIM to InvisibleMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to InvisibleMonkey
the clutch isn't bad at all. i didn't stall

just saying, lol

InvisibleMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:03 AM   #1889
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honduh View Post
You will def learn the clutch. I was pretty awful the first time I drove a 6 puck clutch in a honda.
Heard that! Just takes a bit.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #1890
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

Where did you get your helicoil kit? I just discovered 2 of the 3 motor mount bolts on my block are stripped.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #1891
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

I actually ordered it from Amazon... found out the part number for the kit I needed and that was the cheapest place to get it. About $36 I think.
If you're in a rush you can get Recoil brand kits at Autozone in the more common thread sizes, and Fastenal should carry them also if they're local to you. They're essentially the same thing except HeliCoil is more of a "name brand" but I've used both before and they both get the job done.

|

Quote:

|
Old 08-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #1892
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

No I'm not rushed. I do have a fastenal very close to me. I'll have to stop in there on my way home from work tomorrow. I wonder if I bring the bolt they will tell me what I need.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:16 PM   #1893
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Just a photo from the Shady Brook Farms meet last week... mostly classic cars and muscle cars so mine is a bit different. I liked this shot!

and here's another

|

Quote:

|
Old 08-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #1894
empera
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3674

My Ride:
67.5 Roadster, 00 Outback, 93.5 Supra tt, 88 Shiro, Tundra, turbo sc300

Send a message via AIM to empera
looks great as always man....def. nice shots.
empera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #1895
cmr076
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2319

My Ride:
S4

Send a message via AIM to cmr076
looks like the biker is taking a piss haha
cmr076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #1896
jen.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7345

My Ride:
'07 si coupe!

Send a message via AIM to jen.
Great shots, car looks amazing! How's learning the new clutch coming along? I feel like I've had to do the same thing 12 times over because of my CMC going and then needing constant readjustments over the past 3+ weeks. I feel your pain!
jen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #1897
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Hey, the clutch is getting better, or I'm getting better with it, or probably a bit of both. I do still want to adjust the pedal down a bit more just because it is more comfortable for me. I might install a clutch stop as well since the actual engagement range is only about an inch with this clutch so it would be nice to take out the extra movement above and below that range.

I'm actually having a frustrating car afternoon now though... I went outside to try and get my throttle body readjusted to get it idling well, but instead noticed leaking coolant from under the car. Looks like my radiator is leaking at the lower endtank.

Then I hooked up the laptop to try and dial in my AFRs at idle since it has been off ever since I installed the cams... that was a big failure. The AFRs aren't responding to my adjustments as they should and any changes I made ended up making the car unstable. I ran out of daylight and patience so I'll look into it again tomorrow.

Behave car... behave!

|

Quote:

|
Old 08-31-2011, 10:58 PM   #1898
trista
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15075

My Ride:
'89 EF

Send a message via AIM to trista
You need my awesome mechanic skills again.. That's what it is..

Quote:
Amen. E-harmony has a monthly fee....can you believe that? If only those suckers knew about TST!
trista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #1899
jen.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7345

My Ride:
'07 si coupe!

Send a message via AIM to jen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
Hey, the clutch is getting better, or I'm getting better with it, or probably a bit of both. I do still want to adjust the pedal down a bit more just because it is more comfortable for me. I might install a clutch stop as well since the actual engagement range is only about an inch with this clutch so it would be nice to take out the extra movement above and below that range.

I'm actually having a frustrating car afternoon now though... I went outside to try and get my throttle body readjusted to get it idling well, but instead noticed leaking coolant from under the car. Looks like my radiator is leaking at the lower endtank.

Then I hooked up the laptop to try and dial in my AFRs at idle since it has been off ever since I installed the cams... that was a big failure. The AFRs aren't responding to my adjustments as they should and any changes I made ended up making the car unstable. I ran out of daylight and patience so I'll look into it again tomorrow.

Behave car... behave!
That does sound frustrating . Our clutches sound similar, so I definitely know where you're coming from! We keep adjusting mine, but I'm still not sold on it. Good luck with the radiator and working through those adjustments on your AFRs!
jen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #1900
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to russiankid
Bryan, from my experience that sediment left over in the fluid is not normal. If I were in your shoes I would have bought new fluid. That sediment is most likely dirt and what not that was left in the trans. And since you put new fluid in when you rebuilt the whole car, it cleaned it out and now you drained it so you see the sediment.
russiankid is offline   Reply With Quote